Controversy! The Elric Brothers Move In

Controversy! The Elric Brothers Move In

A Chapter by Emunah June.

"One screw and two phillops heads, "Winry demanded. "Coming right up!" I had said as I reached into the glass jar full of assorted nuts and bolts. I handed her the required tools, and watched as she created wonders with the pieces of steel on the counter. I sat back on a chair and observed her. She built things so wonderfully....so easily. And there was me, stupid Koda, who couldn't even build a box if she wanted to. Winry was the builder, I was the go-getter and informer. Finally, after a couple of loud hammering minutes, Winry spoke. "Finished!" I got up from my chair and looked at her creation. "Wow Winry! You made a swan out of steel! I wish I could do that!" I told her, making my envy of her obvious. Winry smiled and seemed to bask in her compliment. "Thanks Koda!" she said. We both laughed for a while, then Winry held up her swan so it could sunbathe. Even though Winry had patched together 7 different types of steel, she folded each and every one of them to the best extent, folding one of them to look like ruffles in feathers. Winry smiled, then set her swan back onto the table so we could both stare at it a little longer. When we both had had our fill of Winry's swan (of which we named Sama) we decided to show Grandma. "Look Grandma! Look what Winry made!" I exclaimed as Winry held up her swan to Grandma. Grandma pushed up her thick glasses with her fingers, then stared at the swan a few more moments before giving us her answer:

"Very nice job girls."

Winry giggled, and I smiled. Then, the twisty feeling in my stomach began to arise, so I sat down and covered my eyes with my palm. "Oh dear Koda, you know you're not supposed to get so excited. Rest a while, and Winry and I will clean up your workplace," Grandma said. I shook my head. "I'll drink a cup of Ginger Ale and then I'll be fine. I'll clean up," I said as I staggered to the kitchen. As soon as I got my Ginger Ale, somebody knocked on the door. "I'll get it!" Winry and Grandma screamed at the same time. As they both raced to the door, I walked to our workstation and began to clean up.

I wasn't for long.

"Edward! Alphonse!" I heard Winry scream from the other side of the house. I froze. Ed and Al? They were here? Now? Right now? The contents inside my stomach slammed against my ribs. I covered my mouth and scanned the room for a trashcan. I crawled to the opposite side of the room. "Yeah, Koda lives here now. I'll go get her. Hang on," I heard Winry say as she walked into the room. "Koda--" she began before she saw me throw up into the trashcan. The noise was so loud that Grandma walked gently in and placed her hand on my back. "There there...." she whispered. Winry walked into the other room as I gagged again. "Sorry, give her a moment, her Tailor's Child has been acting up today."

When I finished, I was unsure if I wanted to come face to face with my childhood friends. It was such a big thing that I was afraid I'd get excited again. Winry came into the room, where I was hugging my knees and sitting next to the trashcan. "Are you coming to see Ed and Al? They'd really like to see you," she asked. I shrugged. "I don't know if I should. I mean, I want to...but what if my Tailor's Child..." I began. Winry sighed. "Fine then, if you're going to be this way, then you leave me no choice. Hey guys! She's afraid to move! Come in here!" she called. My heart beat rapidly in my ears. It all seemed to happen in slow motion.

The first glimpse I got of Ed was a flash of red from his coat. When he came into the room, I almost didn't reconize him. His hair had grown out too...so much so that he had pulled it back into a braid. He wore a long red coat and wore nothing but black underneath. Al hadn't changed since that fateful night. He was still a large suit of armor, with glowing red eyes, but his kind personality still hung heavily. I didn't say anything. All I did was stare.

"Hey Koda! Wow, you've changed!" Ed said, breaking the silence.

I nodded and smiled, my anxiety smoothed over for a while. "You too Ed. And you Al, you look a little different too," I said. Al seemed to be smiling, by the way he was moving. Then I noticed something about Ed's stature. He was....oh, how do I put this.....short. I didn't say it outloud, for fear of hurting his feelings already.

Grandma made us some tea, and that was when I noticed what I hadn't before. Ed's left arm was completely made out of Auto-Mail. I only noticed because he took off his coat. "Ed...your arm...." I said. He sat quietly, not answering me. Maybe he thought I was playing stupid. Then I looked at Al, who seemed to be following Ed in giving me the silent treatment. "Well, now, you two, tell me what you've been up to," Grandma said, sipping her tea. Ed looked up and began to tell us this amazing tale of going from place to place, meeting new people, making new friends, new enemies, and so on. My Tailors Child made itself known by making me too naseous to speak. I only said the occasional "Mmmhmm" or "Really?". They must have thought I was stupid or something. Finally, Al spoke. "Hey Koda...you've changed. You're much more quiet now. Is everything allright?" he asked. Winry sighed. "No, no. She's far from quiet. Talking is all she ever does," she told him, and I blushed. "My Tailors Child is making me naseous," was all I was able to choke out before closing my mouth. Al sighed. "Why are you reacting now? We aren't going to hurt you," Al said. I nodded, but then my mouth filled with bile, and I calmy walked to the bathroom. After I got back from getting sick, I looked at Al, who still was staring at me. "Sorry....y'know how my Tailor's Child is....I get too excited and.....you remember, don't you?" I asked. Al was silent. I looked over at Ed, who merely glanced at me before staring at Winry again. "So what have you two been up to since we left?" he asked. Winry sighed. "We've been building things, constructing things, designing blueprints, and studying mechanics. Not as cool as what you two are doing, but it works," she said. I nodded. "Koda," Al began, "What have you been up to lately?" I knew what he was doing. He was trying to get me to talk directly. So did, pushing back all feelings of excitement. "Besides getting sick? I helped Winry today make a swan out of steel. We named it Sama. It's such a nice surprise to see you two again, so I guess you can say I've also been reminesing." Then I looked directly at Ed. "How long will you be in town?" I asked. Ed coughed. "A few days. As soon as we find a place to stay, that is. Know of one?" he asked while looking at Winry. I sighed. I couldn't help but think he was playing favourites. He hardly looked me at all. Which sorta hurt, considering he hung out with me all the time when we were little. I wondered if he even thought I was the same Koda as when we were little. Or maybe....maybe he liked Winry. That had to be it! I blushed. "We only have one guestroom," Grandma said. "If you and Al don't mind sharing one, we'd be happy to let you stay here."



© 2011 Emunah June.


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

"who couldn't even build a box if she wanted to." XD I thought that was really funny!! Why is ed being so cold?! Can't wait to read more!

Posted 13 Years Ago


Ooh, nice chapter... I have a feeling I'm going to love this book...

Posted 13 Years Ago


ur oficioly the coo,lest friend i have

Posted 13 Years Ago


I don't MIND Winry, but ed is acting meanish... LOL. But really, I can't wait to see what happens.

Posted 13 Years Ago


again, i will share my hatred of Winry. But pretty good chapter. I will read on!

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

350 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on July 11, 2010
Last Updated on February 2, 2011


Author

Emunah June.
Emunah June.

Inside My Own Mind, Amestris



About
Shalom Alechiem! Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Emmy, and I've been on this site for a long, long time. There was an admitted period of absence, and for that I apologize, but I am back no.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..