The hand that feeds you

The hand that feeds you

A Chapter by Entrelesnuages

Frozen.  The moment thereafter seems static.  Infinite.  And it speeds up.  Sprinting down the corridor.  Windows whizzing by on either side of me.  My feet pounding down against the threadbare carpet.  "I can explain." he cries out after me.  Faster.  Car after car.  Door after door.  And then the tracks.  The final door opens to reveal the the tracks over which we passing at a break neck speed.  Nowhere left.  The panting behind me is getting louder as he closes in.  Desperately searching but no escape, no lock.  A hand tightly closes on my wrist nails biting into my skin.  His mouth now right next to my ear whispering menacingly: "Wait".  Horrified I remain immobile.  "I'm a member of the police" he says.  "Liar" I reply trembling finally refining my voice.  Still holding my wrist he extracts a badge with his back pocket with the other hand.  Now feeling slightly more comfortable but still skeptical I say "So they sent a policemen to investigate murders that haven't happened yet?" "No, they sent policemen to look into to investigate the jackal, a suspected organ trader posing as a veterinarian. I was at your cabin surveilling him until you climbed down that creaky ladder.  The music serves as an alibi" he says.  His grip is loosening but I can still feel his warm breathe against my neck.  "I think he may have taken my bag but do you think he could be responsible for the murder? " I ask. " I'm not sure about your bag but I do believe the murder could be a result of a deal gone bad.  He could have even have faked the time of death."  Suddenly a thought crosses my mind "Wait if your really from the police why wouldn't they have come to you instead of me when they found that note?" With a sigh he explains "The crew isn't aware of who I am. We suspect the veterinarian may be in cahoots with a member of the staff here on the train.  Even if they didn't know them addressing me as a police officer could reveal me to the jackal."  As he finishes the sentence a sneer crosses his lips. His face is mostly unreadable but there is sincerity in his eyes.  "So I can trust you I say?  I whisper leaning in.  "I think so" he replies before brushing his lips against mine.  Invisible beneath the newly formed shroud of twilight. 


© 2012 Entrelesnuages


Author's Note

Entrelesnuages
Please forgive the fragments and poorly punctuated dialogue.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

208 Views
Added on June 23, 2012
Last Updated on June 23, 2012
Tags: mystery, noire, India


Author

Entrelesnuages
Entrelesnuages

San Francisco, CA



About
I was born in NYC but I live in San Francisco. I live to read and write a little bit of everything. My favorite book would have to be Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell. I believe the secret of happines.. more..

Writing