The Screaming Rose

The Screaming Rose

A Poem by E.P. Robles
"

"The Screaming Rose" captures a unique perspective on the emotional journey of a rose, personifying it as a sentient being.

"

I’d never heard a rose    

          scream      
then again
          one never spoke
to me
         She’d lost her petals
         of her Spring by when
         her season changed
         where is my love!
B e y o n d
         the valley-sorrow awash
         over hills o’blue!
         is when I heard
         a rose scream
all her red upon the ground
within blood and thorns
        cried wilted stem
        screaming, “woe is me!”

:: 03-16-2015 ::

© 2023 E.P. Robles


Author's Note

E.P. Robles
The poet opens with a striking assertion that they had never heard a rose scream before, implying that this experience is extraordinary and unfamiliar. It suggests a sense of attunement to the subtle expressions of nature, elevating the poet's perception beyond the ordinary.

The line breaks and spacing in the poem play a significant role in emphasizing certain words and phrases, creating a visual representation of the rose's distress. The intentional fragmentation and elongation of words, as seen in "scream" and "b e y o n d," create a sense of unease and disruption. This technique draws attention to the emotional intensity of the rose's suffering and the poet's attempt to capture its essence in language.

The poem explores the transformative journey of the rose from its vibrant, blooming state to a state of loss and despair. The loss of petals symbolizes the passing of spring, a metaphor for lost opportunities, faded beauty, and the ephemeral nature of life. The phrase "where is my love!" echoes the rose's longing for affection and recognition, emphasizing its vulnerability and desire for connection.

The poet introduces the concept of "valley-sorrow awash over hills o'blue," suggesting a broader emotional landscape beyond the immediate surroundings of the rose. This evocative imagery paints a picture of a world saturated with sadness and despair, amplifying the intensity of the rose's anguish.

The turning point of the poem occurs when the poet hears the rose scream. This moment is powerful and jarring, as the rose's suffering is given a voice. The vivid depiction of "all her red upon the ground within blood and thorns" evokes a profound sense of loss and pain. The imagery suggests a visceral and tragic scene, where the rose's life force is drained, leaving only remnants of beauty tainted by suffering.

The poem concludes with the wilted stem's lamentation, expressing its sorrow with the words "woe is me!" This final outcry encapsulates the rose's anguish and emphasizes its desperate plea for understanding and compassion.

"The Screaming Rose" delves into the depths of human emotion through the lens of nature. It invites reflection on themes of loss, vulnerability, and the transient nature of beauty. The poet skillfully captures the essence of the rose's suffering, using vivid imagery and carefully crafted language to evoke strong emotions in the reader. Overall, the poem exemplifies the poet laureate's ability to elevate ordinary experiences and delve into the profound aspects of existence.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

You have chosen such a brilliant metaphor to paint a picture of shock and sorrow at the loss of beauty. Indeed, what could be more devastating to the rose than the loss of its beautiful, red petals? I have seen roses with their petals strewn and it disturbs the soul, saddening a part of us at a deeper level. This poem would especially be very relatable to women for whom aging and the fading of youth is a traumatic experience. I could literally hear their screams in your words. I wish life wasn't so cruel but it sadly is. Kudos on this masterpiece! I loved it.

Posted 11 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

E.P. Robles

11 Months Ago

Dear esteemed DIVYA,

Allow me to express my heartfelt gratitude for your kind and per.. read more
DIVYA

11 Months Ago

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and your very inspiring poetry.



Reviews

A powerful flow of thoughts and words. I have roses in my garden. Many colors. A rose bloom for a short time and she is so beautiful. Thank you my friend for sharing the amazing poetry and your thoughts.
Coyote

Posted 11 Months Ago


You have chosen such a brilliant metaphor to paint a picture of shock and sorrow at the loss of beauty. Indeed, what could be more devastating to the rose than the loss of its beautiful, red petals? I have seen roses with their petals strewn and it disturbs the soul, saddening a part of us at a deeper level. This poem would especially be very relatable to women for whom aging and the fading of youth is a traumatic experience. I could literally hear their screams in your words. I wish life wasn't so cruel but it sadly is. Kudos on this masterpiece! I loved it.

Posted 11 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

E.P. Robles

11 Months Ago

Dear esteemed DIVYA,

Allow me to express my heartfelt gratitude for your kind and per.. read more
DIVYA

11 Months Ago

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and your very inspiring poetry.
I saw a red rose once where there was a blood stain on a pavement. I screamed silently for it. On reflection I should have paid more attention. Visually stunning.

Chris

Posted 11 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

E.P. Robles

11 Months Ago

See? haha.
Chris Shaw

11 Months Ago

You win :)
E.P. Robles

11 Months Ago

No. There's only us. Nothing less and nothing more. I enjoy our conversation.
Hello again,
As it is Sunday I am giving myself time to write and review...silly to say Sunday because everyday is the same when one is retired... Well, not the same in reality but the same because when one is retired one can decide what to do when and where...
Okay, now about your poem...
Immediately I was drawn into your poem because of your vivid description of a rose screaming... I actually could see the mouth of the rose...but that is my crazy imagination... I saw a single rose, perhaps metaphor for being apart from others, of yearning to be heard... each petal lost...a moment in time...
The rose...(poets) struggle to be finally heard ...is found throughout your poem.
I loved it...but then I am a succur for metaphors!
Lisa


Posted 11 Months Ago


Lisasview

11 Months Ago

I enjoy giving reviews and no I am not too kind...just honest with what I write.
I just poste.. read more
E.P. Robles

11 Months Ago

Fairies? Let me see!
Lisasview

11 Months Ago

Thank you...

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

103 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 28, 2023
Last Updated on May 28, 2023
Tags: poetry

Author

E.P. Robles
E.P. Robles

SAN ANTONIO, TX



About
I write a lot and I paint a lot. I think just enough that I believe I am a very crazy person at all times. I am very friendly to a fault and find life very very short. I write in bursts with each p.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..