look close enough, you can see Mona Lisa's wearing braces

look close enough, you can see Mona Lisa's wearing braces

A Poem by jacob erin-cilberto

look close enough, you can see Mona Lisa's wearing braces

 

 

 

pitiful rendering

a painting of a sorrow

that is not real

 

foolish artist stole an idea

then brushed the real sentiment

with robotic strokes

 

the object on the canvass of ink

stares flawlessly back from the page

but something is missing in the eyes

 

 

erin-cilberto

6/25/16

© 2016 jacob erin-cilberto


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

But Jacob, when you consider the gestalt and whole realness...isn't it expressive of something very real when reality is made empty?
Sometimes, when we turn the rock over we have to wonder- who did that before us and when and...and then the question looms... what is/was the beginning/end/top/bottom?
Can we ever assume a beginning or an end?
Oh and, I love how your poetry invigorates my curious mind.

Posted 7 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

7 Years Ago

very insightful review, as always...appreciate your visits, Amy.

j.
I love this poem. The past is never as we think it is. We cannot see the spark of life in a painting or a picture. It is something that can only be seen in the present and when we look long and hard into that person's eyes.

Well done.

Posted 7 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

7 Years Ago

such keen insight...thank you, H.L.

j.
An interesting take on a famous smile. For me, it says that what the world sees in some of the most loved and revered and famous things is not real.

Posted 7 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

7 Years Ago

very true, thank you, KL.

j.
I saw her but not close up like the others. She occupied the same room as The Oath of Horatti which I used in a poem. Ana showed some real brillance's in her review. Nice work!

Regards,
Al

Posted 7 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

7 Years Ago

thank you for your words, Al...and yes, on Ana's review...she has such insight.
j.
Ha! Hmm, I hadn't thought of that.
There was an impedimen, she would not have smiled with those things, can you blame her.
A picture is worth a thousand words but context is worth its weight in gold.

Posted 7 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

7 Years Ago

so true...thank you, Ana, for your visit...

j.
Her eyes are definitely soul less. The suggestion of Braces is very funny. I often wondered why Mona, surely there were more beautiful subjects.

Posted 7 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

7 Years Ago

or maybe she was beautiful, and he wasn't very good at painting people? :)))

thank y.. read more
And it's all in the eyes....if the smile does not reach the eyes, it is not genuine. Now you KNOW the next time I see a rendering of the Mona Lisa, I will be looking for braces. You have a great sense of humor and wit, my friend. Lydi**

Posted 7 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

7 Years Ago

have to have a strong sense of humor...it has gotten me through many hard times, with a smile---life.. read more
Lydia Shutter

7 Years Ago

I absolutely agree, my friend. My sense of humor has gotten me through the tough times.
I've never thought of her eyes as soulless, but perhaps that is why they follow you. Even a painting can be looking for something more. Art of any kind must come from the soul, that is what breathes life into one's work. I will have to go back to Paris (any excuse will do) and study her again. I shall send your regards.
: )

Posted 7 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

7 Years Ago

thank you, Anne....:)

those memories with those eyes.

j.
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
V
The title made me smirk a little. I like the content a lot. When art is not done by the heart and soul, it turns out to be an emotionless and random piece barely reflecting true beauty, only a notion of it...It's all in the eyes, isn't it, even in pictures, if someone cannot catch their expression, all loveliness is destroyed by a lifeless and empty stare.

Posted 7 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

7 Years Ago

thank you for your words, Vanessa.

j.
V

7 Years Ago

You're welcome.
oh man, another illusion bites the dust... soulless eyes and braces, no wonder she wasn't smiling... and of course there is no reason for us to smile at people/artists who just go through the motions and never take the time to know and understand anything... especially life... I enjoyed your poem and where it took me (at least) Jacob...

redzone

Posted 7 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

7 Years Ago

thank you for your kind review, sharing where this took you, Curt.

j.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

371 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 26, 2016
Last Updated on June 26, 2016

Author

jacob erin-cilberto
jacob erin-cilberto

Carbondale, IL



About
Originally from Bronx, NY, I live in Carbondale, Illinois...teach English at a community college and have been writing and publishing poetry since 1970. I am here to read for inspiration from other po.. more..

Writing