the song does remain the same

the song does remain the same

A Poem by jacob erin-cilberto


the song does remain the same

 

 

 

i am a black guitar

with ebon strings

and displaced octave

strange sounds in an urban city

lyrics sung through stitched vocal chords

 

they are burning the wood

ash incorporated,

streets of fire

strike up the band,

the audience can't clap for an encore

they don't know how to react

 

they weren't really listening to the words.

or maybe they were.

 

 

 

 

erin-cilberto

8/17/19

© 2019 jacob erin-cilberto


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wallace Stevens had nothing on you with his blue guitar or Peter at the clavier!
T

Posted 4 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

4 Years Ago

thank you for your words, Tom,
j.
Very interesting one. I think this to me comes off as how we listen to loved ones but often do not really hear what they are saying cause we are so comfortable and complacent in how we see them.

Posted 4 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

4 Years Ago

i like that take on this, Dale...
thank you much for your visit and words,
j.
This one rings. Your title says it all. Some days I read about what is happening around the world and think we have some kind of masochistic need to relive our darkest times. Why do we need to repeat mistakes when we know that the outcome will be similar or worse. Because we easily forget...

Or as your poem so eloquently states, we just aren't listening. We hear the melody but the lyrics take too much effort to unravel and we really just wanted to have fun. It's a sobering thought, and well-stated by you here.

Posted 4 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

4 Years Ago

thank you for your insightful words, Eilis...

yes, we make the same mistakes over and.. read more
The song does remain the same Jacob and perhaps I am biased, having made the move from city to countryside, but I have never been more aware of being a strange sound of the urban, amongst a sea of what I see as hilarious accents, which is their normal.
The sounds of urban living becomes a background to the initiated, but to a visitor sound off key. I love not hearing those too loud sounds now, but still miss them too.
The ending took me to my teens of pouring over album covers and lyrics, looking for something I hadn't noticed before.
I still try to focus on the lyrics though, no matter the singer or song.

Posted 4 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

4 Years Ago

i don't miss those sounds, either, Lorry...
thanks for sharing how you related to this piece... read more
Don't know if I can say anything different from what was said below, but ZEPPELIN ROCKS BRO!! Seriously, are we humans ins some perpetual cycle that never ends? Or has every one just given up and taken a side to make them feel good about themselves? I love the thought provoking stuff though. This poem just needs more cowbell. (that was a joke)

Posted 4 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

4 Years Ago

of your questions, i think it is the latter---
and your cowbell, i heard it....and smiled...t.. read more
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
DAH
Mmmmm ... this is straight up music to my ears, with so many
fabulous lines, and the concept is brilliant ...

"with ebon strings
and displaced octave" this is what I'm talking about!

Bravo, Poet, bravo!

DAH

P.S. is there a "Y" missing in ebon?

Posted 4 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

4 Years Ago

thank you for your kind words, DAH....appreciate your review...
and no..."ebon" is the poetic.. read more
DAH

4 Years Ago

Got it! And you're welcome ...

when ya song has had the heart ripped from it.. listen for the feel of rain on ya thatch.. it wont make up for it but it sure leaves a better taste in ya mouth...

Posted 4 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

4 Years Ago

yes yes, true, Neville,
thank you for your words,
j.
Neville

4 Years Ago

................ My pleasure as always.. N
This poem reminded me of footage I saw recently of Joan Baez and Bob Dylan. The protest songs of the early sixties. I didn't live it first hand being across the pond, but I was aware of it, especially the civil rights movement. That music will always represent rebellion to me, marching, protesting and assasinations. Has anything changed I ask myself?

Chris

Posted 4 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

4 Years Ago

yes, the music represented all of that...and movement as well...but something dried up since.
.. read more
"they weren't really listening to the words" What became of the civil rights marches from the 60's and 70's...was anyone really listening? All the mass shootings we have seen on the news over the past year...and more....is anyone really listening or paying attention? Do those who spoke out in the 60's see what is happening? Do they still feel the same? These are the thoughts that came to mind while reading your words. As always, wonderful poetry. Lydi**

Posted 4 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

4 Years Ago

i think the attention span was too short....the movement died...and what we thought was change...it .. read more
Again I love this thanks you are so talented!

Posted 4 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

4 Years Ago

thank you for your kind words, Julie.
j.

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

210 Views
14 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on August 18, 2019
Last Updated on August 18, 2019

Author

jacob erin-cilberto
jacob erin-cilberto

Carbondale, IL



About
Originally from Bronx, NY, I live in Carbondale, Illinois...teach English at a community college and have been writing and publishing poetry since 1970. I am here to read for inspiration from other po.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Serenity Serenity

A Poem by Chris Shaw