Endangered Species

Endangered Species

A Poem by jacob erin-cilberto


Endangered Species

 

 

 

i tried to write a happy poem

but knocked over the ink well

and my heart got stained black and blue

 

so i lit the pen on fire

and watched the pages burn into unwritten history

while you smiled from your perch

 

up in heaven

and simultaneously

our imagined lines

met,

where we couldn't.

 

 

 

erin-cilberto

12/11/19

© 2019 jacob erin-cilberto


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

A dynamic poem. I love the fire and passion of the action. The things we can do when faced with an impossible feeling. Somehow I love the idea of burning the tools of the craft. These things--the pen, the paper--can be both tools of revelation and tools of continued hurt, depending on ourselves. There's something quite empowering about choosing to set them aflame.

I like how this poem speaks to the internal battle to move on when it isn't so simple. The desire to move toward light when the darkness soaks us through. Love that ink-stained heart idea.

But, the ending here is a painful one, and shows why the battle and why the frustration. That which is unreachable calling out from somewhere also unreachable. This poem expresses so well the mystery of feeling and how it can so deeply permeate us. Some inspired images.

Posted 4 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

4 Years Ago

thank you for your kind words, Eilis,
j.
A powerful title and a sad but memorable poem sir. Your pen is on fire chasing that unwritten history, the happy and sad pages. She is gone from the poet's life and that makes a big difference. At least you can meet in the spirit.

Posted 4 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

4 Years Ago

thank you for your kind words, Sami,
j.
Sami Khalil

4 Years Ago

You are welcome...
There's much sadness in your words here. Black and blue is not the right color for a heart that wants to write happy poems. Sometimes, things die, people die and some happy parts just die with them. We keep revisiting them though, trying to complete the lines, we imagine, would have been written. Over and over in our minds.

Posted 4 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

4 Years Ago

thank you for your kind review, DIVYA....
j.

2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

149 Views
13 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 12, 2019
Last Updated on December 12, 2019

Author

jacob erin-cilberto
jacob erin-cilberto

Carbondale, IL



About
Originally from Bronx, NY, I live in Carbondale, Illinois...teach English at a community college and have been writing and publishing poetry since 1970. I am here to read for inspiration from other po.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Feeling it Feeling it

A Poem by Franky


Burying 2020 Burying 2020

A Poem by Gee