Retaliation

Retaliation

A Poem by jacob erin-cilberto

Retaliation

 

stir the people,

stir the pot,

we are sticking to the pan

with our hatred,

our prejudice

our humiliation of others

 

survival of the fittest

the kind are savagely beaten

the gracious ripped to shreds

those who love

are burned beyond recognition

the victims forgive

 

they forget,

they are forgotten

the five o'clock news

identifies the perpetrators

they are given names

the victims become

 

anonymous tragedies

shown in out-of-focus

photos

newspapers

soaked by inquisitive tears

the weapon of choice.

 

 

erin-cilberto

4/18/23

© 2023 jacob erin-cilberto


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Such an emotionally loaded piece.
You really know how to pack the pressure beneath the bullet.
Well done, it is ironic though, that what this actually displays is righteous anger and righteous indignation for the innocence slaughtered.


Posted 1 Year Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

1 Year Ago

thank you for your words, Light,
j.
light and ashes

1 Year Ago

I am always happy to read and review you.
If any organism large or small is bent on self destruction, as humanity seems to be, one would have to ask, what is the illness that you are suffering? Being somewhat a firm believer in cause and effect I have to ask. "so, tell me doctor, what do my test results show, can you name that from which I am suffering? and is it terminal?"


Posted 1 Year Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

1 Year Ago

I appreciate your words, carl...thanks for expressing.
j.
Retaliation, an eye for an eye. The part of the poem that stood out for me was the reference to the descent to anonymity of the victims. It made me think of the mass shootings that were hot news at the time, but due to the sheer number of their successors, have faded from memory. It just wasn't this way when Ike was president.

Posted 1 Year Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

1 Year Ago

so many things different in those days...my days in the Bronx...
thank you, John,
j.
I just can't with this world anymore. It is so rife with evil, and the innocent are hurt at every turn. Politicians are complicit, wanting exactly this. They want chaos and ruin. Everything is truly upside down. Those who try to do the right thing are punished, while criminals are unprosecuted. The politicians then refuse to blame the guilty. "We must protect these children." All the while those involved in the lootings and theft can be up to the age of 25 and they go unpunished. It's absolutely disgusting!

Posted 1 Year Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

1 Year Ago

Yes, it is, Linda...quite disgusting.
thanks for your words,
j.
The good is getting burnt but not the chaff. Hatred is mixed in every pot. And the better you hate the better your survive while the good and the kind destroyed, stand on the verge of extinction. A strong statement made on the sad and sorry world of today.

Posted 1 Year Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

1 Year Ago

thank you, Divya,
writing about it is some kind of therapy...but not enough.
DIVYA

1 Year Ago

Indeed, my friend. You're welcome.
Humanity will eventually destroy humanity in the guise of acceptance and inclusion. Whatever you want to be is okay. You want to be a pervert? That's fine. A child rapist? That's fine. A murderer? You're only misunderstood. Everyone is equal. There is no good or evil; no god or devil. There is no morality; no such thing as justice. Feel sorry for the wicked. They are actually victims. It began with moral decline and the disintegration of the family unit and ate at the heart of humanity like an incurable cancer. Humanity will eventually destroy humanity in the guise of equality and tolerance. It won't be that horrible evil monster that kills mankind. It will be his trusted brother and friend and all in the name of freedom.

Posted 1 Year Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

1 Year Ago

so much truth in your words, Fabian...
thank you,
j.
Dear Jacob-Erin-Cilberto, grand words.
Retaliation, agreed.
I want to fight with yerr,
It is constricting, when we are at odds.
Life is perception. Perception is how we view the world.
It dictates us, even in wiser, or climax of hindering, great write!
----1809 Black Plague December

Posted 1 Year Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

1 Year Ago

thank you for your insightful review,
j.
1809 Black Plague December

1 Year Ago

welcome, I hope you are having a great evening,
Anonymous are the tragedies after they're forgotten. Files waiting for the cold case team to find freedom. Resurrected by technology to live in just attention. I could just about feel the mauling humanity has taken in your first two verses. You are the perpetrator of truth!

Posted 1 Year Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

1 Year Ago

thank you for your kind words, Bill,
j.
Victims lost in the ink of headlines. The same statement on repeat. Heartbreaking times.

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

jacob erin-cilberto

1 Year Ago

what you wrote is a poem.
thank you, duff,
j.
Sadly it is the bad news that gets reported on and the attention is always more focused on those who have destroyed rather than the innocents who have lost their lives. I am wondering J if there has been yet another massacre on your side of the pond? The weapon of choice. Difficult for all decent peace loving people to come to terms with. The loss of life is shocking. Your words are powerful in their conveying, but who is listening that can and wants to make changes?

Chris

Posted 1 Year Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

1 Year Ago

Yes, we have had recent, this past week, a couple...that is about average now...163 or something lik.. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

223 Views
18 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 19, 2023
Last Updated on April 19, 2023

Author

jacob erin-cilberto
jacob erin-cilberto

Carbondale, IL



About
Originally from Bronx, NY, I live in Carbondale, Illinois...teach English at a community college and have been writing and publishing poetry since 1970. I am here to read for inspiration from other po.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..