The house on the hill

The house on the hill

A Story by Esteban Morfín
"

Only the lonely know loneliness

"
There's a house on the hill. There it is, right on the edge. It has been there for longer than anyone can recall. Some even say it was always there. Probably even before there even was a hill. It's an old house, that's for sure. Yet, it somehow has lightbulbs and running water. 
Nobody knows the old man that lives there. Nobody remembers his name or how he got there in the first place. Nobody seems to care enough. Only the kids pay him any attention, making up stories about his story.
"He's a child-taker!" says one.
"No, he's a wizard. And a powerful one." says another.
"I bet he's a ghost!" says the loudest and biggest of them all.
And being the loudest and biggest, he's ought to be right. "A ghost it is, then," everyone agreed.
Some brave kids dared venture near the house, but not so near. Nobody wanted to be taken by ghost, or a wizard, or a child-taker. Some claim to have seen him. Some swear he flew over them. Some are sure to have heard chants and incantations coming out of the house.
Only one little child, alone all the time, knows who he is. He knows who the man is, for he is him, and him is he. Only those that are truly alone understand loneliness, and in that understanding, they become one in their solitude, sharing a secret that is never to be spoken, never to be heard.

© 2023 Esteban Morfín


Author's Note

Esteban Morfín
I wanted to convey a paradox. I'm sure some here have felt what I'm trying to say. Loneliness, true loneliness, hits hard and right in the middle of the heart. Nobody is meant to be alone, but some of us have been alone, truly alone, and that is something that not much understand. It is something that unites the lonely ones in a strange way, and the moment it is shared, it vanishes.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

37 Views
Added on November 9, 2023
Last Updated on November 9, 2023
Tags: peril, short story, new, story, loneliness

Author

Esteban Morfín
Esteban Morfín

México, Estado de México, Mexico



About
Hello there! My name is Esteban. I am a Mexican young man with a passion for writing. In the long term, I want to dedicate full-time to writing. I've been writing short stories and novels pretty.. more..

Writing