He was old

He was old

A Story by Esteban Morfín

He was old. He felt like he had lived for too long. Time had not been kind on him. Not only had it taken away everyone around him, but also mercilessly strapped him to terrene existence. With every loss, his pain grew, until his life was turned into constant agony.

Food lost its flavor; the Sun would heat him no more; all colors lost their bright. Nothing mattered anymore. His days passed like the wind, and they were just as insipid. Day after day, hour after hour, he prayed for it all to cease.

And then, the day finally came, when he was finally free of all of his burdens. He suddenly felt weightless. The pain was gone, like it had never been there.
His whole life appeared before him like a strange dream, and it quickly faded to the back of his mind, as he stepped into the Unknown.

And there, as he embraced his loved ones once again, he realized that not so much time had passed, and that his misery was always meant to be temporary.

© 2022 Esteban Morfín


Author's Note

Esteban Morfín
Back after a long time of not writing. This came to my mind and I just had to write it. Writing it and reading it again gave me a warm feeling and some hope for the future. I hope it does for you too.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Such a visual description of passing over, and so reassuring at the same time. Nice!

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Esteban Morfín

1 Year Ago

I though about it now that my grandpa passed away. Thanks for the comment!
Dave Brown

8 Months Ago

It is too bad we find out what it is all about only after it has all taken place

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

66 Views
1 Review
Added on January 21, 2022
Last Updated on January 21, 2022
Tags: short story, story, introspection, death, time, aging

Author

Esteban Morfín
Esteban Morfín

México, Estado de México, Mexico



About
Hello there! My name is Esteban. I am a Mexican young man with a passion for writing. In the long term, I want to dedicate full-time to writing. I've been writing short stories and novels pretty.. more..

Writing