The Town Mouse and the Sea Mouse

The Town Mouse and the Sea Mouse

A Poem by Ethan

 Filthy people slowly inch across the street like great, fat salmon fighting upstream against the most powerful current. Dark, gothic skyscrapers loom overhead on either side of the slime filled road as though tall river reeds shot up from underneath smooth, grey pebbles. But the air smells of salty seas belonging to my homeland, far away, not forgotten but barely remembered. I can nearly feel the sweet touch of cool, refreshing spray droplets tickling my nose. I miss my home. My mother told me I would, but I never believed her. 


A fish flung out of water by some fateful power not yet known, I am lost among this sea of busy bodies; mindless, ant-like drones walking paths their forefather drones already lay before them. The only ingenuity this city possesses is the stink of sludge flowing from beneath this street. At least its horrible smell is a little worse, a little newer each day. Boring, these people are. I long for the days gone by, when it was only the ocean and I, as she softly cradled my body afloat and I slept in her loving arms. 

© 2017 Ethan


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Your imagery, metaphor, simile use in this poem is stellar- so evocative-"Filthy people..like great, fat, salmon fighting upstream....Dark, gothic skyscrapers loom" Writing is eloquent with good rhythm and flow. Mood well-expressed is wistful, somber, nostalgic for home, sea, mother.- maybe they are one and the same in the protagonist's psyche. "The ocean and I"-so poignant..."Call me Ishmael"....Well-done!

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ethan

6 Years Ago

Thank you very much, Im a bit obsessed with the ocean myself :P



Reviews

A good piece of work..Well done :)


Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ethan

6 Years Ago

Thanks :))))
Sanskrity Mishra

6 Years Ago

Welcome.....

(applauds) :D

"when it was only the ocean and I, as she softly cradled my body afloat and I slept in her loving arms"

Genius, creative, and absolutely beautiful!!!! :D Fantastic work, Ethan!!!!

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ethan

6 Years Ago

Aw thank you :)

2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

543 Views
12 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 14, 2017
Last Updated on June 15, 2017
Tags: poetry, longing, prose, free verse

Author

Ethan
Ethan

TX



About
I try to get to read requests, but if you really need help just dm me. more..

Writing
Ascent Ascent

A Poem by Ethan


Runnings Runnings

A Poem by Ethan



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


The Harbor The Harbor

A Poem by Ethan