A Seasonal Sonnet

A Seasonal Sonnet

A Poem by Ethan
"

A children's poem.

"

When Summer’s heat does sting like lemon drops,

And I can hear the calming brush of Rain

Upon my clear and blissful windowpane,

Rain tells the fever ev'rywhere to stop.

But who, I wonder, tells the frosty Clouds,

That it is time for lemon drops again,

The Sun would like to dance some now and then,

A wintr’y Spring could never be allowed?

 

He is the jolly Spring himself, of course,

Who tells the chilling Ice, “The answer’s no”.

“Come quickly or I’ll have to use some force.”

He says, “It’s finally time for you to go.”

And so, the season Spring does now enforce,

Of course, is Winter and his bitter Snow.

 

 

© 2017 Ethan


Author's Note

Ethan
Reviews would be greatly appreciated :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is a fun bit of whimsy you've written here! And I like the fact that instead of being all clumped together as sonnets usually are, you've made two powerfully imagined stanzas. It reads well, the iambs hit the right notes, you've mixed in a bit of Shakespearean lingo with the "does" as modifiers, and the musicality is absolutely stupendous with strong imagery to match. And the "enforce/Of course" is pretty clever.....although, "enforce" may not mean what you want it to mean in this sentence....what you've said essentially in the final couplet is that Spring establishes Winter by force, when you really intend to mean Spring expels him or something of the like (....Spring could enforce natural law on "Winter and his bitter snow"....maybe you could play around with that since you're already personifying the seasons themselves). Apart from that one little detail, this is fantastic! Well done!

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ethan

6 Years Ago

Im sorry I missed this. Thank you very much for your wonderful review



Reviews

I'm a sucker for nature poems, especially this one. Lyrical mastery...

Posted 6 Years Ago


Well done! Personally, I have always found sonnets very difficult to write. I give you props for not only writing one, but writing a good one!

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ethan

6 Years Ago

Aw thanks a bunch
Love how you capitalized Rain and some other everyday things, making them the characters of their own story, personifying them.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ethan

6 Years Ago

Thank you!
this sonnet is so great! such eloquence from a young and very talented writer. i have said this before and i will say it again...i love yah bro! (i meant your work)...ahahaha!

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ethan

6 Years Ago

Hahahaha thanks a bunch :)
I don't know That I have anything new to add that others haven't already said. I liked this piece a lot. Well written, and fun.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Graced by a delicate hand. There are some beautiful lines here. That opening is a great way to kick it off. I'm enjoying your work. I'll be back for sure.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Ethan

6 Years Ago

Many thanks
duff

6 Years Ago

You got it
This isn't exactly the rhyme scheme that I'm used to when someone says "sonnet" . . . but it's close to the structure I would expect. Your rhyming is well-done, just not the same as what I'm used to. I pretty much hate sonnets that have that Elizabethan sound (even tho that's a big part of sonnet writing) . . . so I'm very glad to see that your sonnet is NOT written with that stilted language. It's a comfortable read, could be a childhood tale, but it's also plenty mature in ideas & observations.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Chase Dylan

6 Years Ago

Well thank you, my friend, I appreciate the appreciation of craft... Especially by Mr. Professor, wh.. read more
Ethan

6 Years Ago

Thank you :) I'm sure I'm wrong on many things, however :P
Chase Dylan

6 Years Ago

Who cares, man... At least you stick up for what you think is right in an intelligent manner... That.. read more
Very emotional and descript. Great job.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ethan

6 Years Ago

Thank you :)))
Wow! Splendid! I love your use of extended metaphors of the heat being like an irritating lemon drop and how you continued to personify the sun. I guess thats what people often do when they write about spring. It comes naturally... spring is, by many people, imagined to be a young female. If you can i would suggest you read my story spring it is very similar to this piece but not as good ever.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ethan

6 Years Ago

Nah I like yours better than mine :P But thanks as always :)
Decidious wind

6 Years Ago

Thanks :) agaaain!!
Lemon drops- Interesting Ethan:)
As always Great:)
Thanks for sharing!

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ethan

6 Years Ago

Well thank you for reviewing :)

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1555 Views
27 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on June 27, 2017
Last Updated on June 28, 2017
Tags: poetry, sonnet

Author

Ethan
Ethan

TX



About
I try to get to read requests, but if you really need help just dm me. more..

Writing
Ascent Ascent

A Poem by Ethan


Runnings Runnings

A Poem by Ethan



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Cicada 8:33 Cicada 8:33

A Poem by Ethan