How to install a chimney liner

How to install a chimney liner

A Story by Arnold Kotak
"

If your chimney flue needs replacing, perhaps as a result of general wear and tear issues and click here to read more!

"
If your chimney flue needs replacing, perhaps as a result of general wear and tear issues, or because it has been found to be unsafe then you will no doubt be pleased to know that it is easy to install a chimney liner.

Why do you need a chimney liner?

A chimney liner is designed to reduce the risks of experiencing carbon monoxide poisoning in a property.  Where a fuel burner is used there is always a chance that, if the fuel is not burned efficiently, that carbon monoxide will build up.  A suitable chimney lining will ensure that any gasses are taken out of the flue, and not allowed to build up in the property therefore posing a risk to inhabitants.

A suitable liner can also help with improving energy efficiency by not allowing drafts to build up, or cause debris such as smoke and tar to be deposited.  As a result of this it can also help with the general maintenance of your stove or appliance.

How to install your lining

You will need access to some basic tools such as a razor knife, flat head screw driver and a caulk gun.  You are also going to need a power drill. It is advisable to ensure that you have some protective equipment to hand including gloves and goggles.  

Straighten out the liner, taking care not to puncture it.

Locate the vertical part of the tee connection and insert the liner into the female end.  Tighten the clamp around the liner to secure it.  

Lower the liner (and vertical part of the tee connection) into the chimney until you reach the hole on the side of the chimney where the stove pipe attaches.

From inside the property locate the horizontal section of the tee and insert this into the appliance hole. 

Tighten the worm screw until both parts of the tee connect and are secured.

Once this has been done you can connect the stove pipe to the stove.

Now you need to get back on the roof and connect the top plate to the top of the chimney. Run a bead of silicone along the edge of the clay flue then thread the liner through the round collar of the top plate.  Secure in place with your screw driver.

Assuming there is left over liner, you can remove this with a grinder or hacksaw.

When the liner is flush with the top of the collar on the top plate you can tighten the hose clamp to secure it in place.

Finally, install the rain cap to the top plate by inserting the top collar inside and tightening the rain cap clamp.

© 2015 Arnold Kotak


Author's Note

Arnold Kotak
If you are in any doubt about the best way to proceed then you should speak to a professional who has experience with installing various chimney lining systems.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

213 Views
Added on February 26, 2015
Last Updated on February 26, 2015
Tags: chimney liner, UK

Author

Arnold Kotak
Arnold Kotak

New York, NY



About
The gastric juices of young children contain, in addition to those just mentioned, the enzyme rennin, which acts on milk. Some foods, including simple sugars and alcohol, are absorbed directly through.. more..

Writing