Shadows of Ash: Chapter 5

Shadows of Ash: Chapter 5

A Chapter by Eva Sirois

"Presenting Samaria, daughter of Sagan of the Cypress Clan, and Guardsmen Byron, son of Griffin, of the Oak Clan," the herald bellowed, the sound ringing throughout the hall.
 
   I swept into the room, with Byron following close behind me. The hall was empty of people except for two men and one woman, gathered around an oaken table. They seemed to have been in the middle of a discussion with papers, notes, and maps spread throughout the table. Their attention had turned to us when the herald announced us.
 
   One of the men had golden brown hair, a bit on the shaggy side, with dark brown eyes. Surprisingly, he wasn't that old, not even thirty yet. He held himself in a determined, yet somehow tired manner, as if the weight of the war was crushing against him.
 
   The other man had an expressionless face, with onyx eyes, covered by glasses. Unlike the first man's rather sturdily built frame, his was more graceful and slender. He had black hair that brushed his eyes. He seemed to be only a couple years older than my seventeen years.
 
   The woman was on the short side, with fiery red hair and piercing blue eyes. She seemed to be in her late thirites, and she looked tough and weatherborne, but there was still a twinkle of good humor in her eyes.
 
   I strode forward, chin held high, my dark hair falling away from my face. The golden-haired man stepped forward, and we exchanged bows. "Welcome, Samaria, daughter of Sagan. I am Lance, son of Archer, Leader of Oak Clan," he said formally.
 
   The other man stepped forward also, and bowed fluidly. "Welcome. I am Akren, Leader of Fir Clan." His eyes sized me up and I instantly knew which of the three I should be most wary of.
 
   The woman nodded to me. "I bid you welcome, Samaria. I am Azlyn, daughter of Arimle, Leader of Cedar Clan."
 
   "Please, is there something that we could be of service to you?" Lance asked.
 
   Getting straight to the point, I said, "Actually, yes. Cypress Clan wishes to form an alliance with Oak Clan." I saw a flicker of something, humor I believe, in Azlyn's eyes from my directness. Sparks of suspicion flashed in Lance's eyes, and Akren remained as stoic as ever.
 
   "I see," Lance said carefully. "Now why would Cypress Clan, who has remained neutral for generations, decide to join now?"
 
   "The war is starting to reach us, too," I said quietly. "No clan has gone unscathed."
 
   Akren sent me a calculating look. "You mean, of course, your father. Is that right?"
 
   I stiffened slightly, and my bright green eyes, trademark of Cypress Clan, flashed slightly. "That is part of it, yes," I replied tersely.
 
   "How do we know that you'll keep the alliance?" Lance asked quietly.
 
   I gave him a withering glance. "A member of Cypress Clan does not break their word."
 
   "It's true. Once they make a promise, they stand by it. They are the most loyal and proud people I have ever met," Azlyn said. She gave me a small smile. "I had the wonderful chance to meet your mother and father."
 
   Seeing that Lance still looked slightly wary, I said, "As a gesture of goodwill, you will find the enemy camp stationed near Fierwells destroyed. You should receive the news soon."
 
   Lance started a little, as well as Azlyn, and Akren raised an eyebrow. "We have received no-" Akren began, but was cut off as the doors to the hall flew open, and a squire ran in, the herald glaring after him as if they were arguing. "Sirs!" the squire gasped. "And, uh, madam! Madams! Miss!"
 
   "Go on," Azlyn said impatiently, while Lance sent her an amused glance.
 
   "The enemy, sir," the squire gasped, out of breath. "One of their camps have been destroyed!"
 
   Lance looked like he had been caught offguard. Azlyn glanced sharply at me, while Akren smoothly took control. "Where would this camp be?"
 
   "Right outside of Fierwells, sir." The squire hesitated. "It wasn't our doing, sir. Next to the commander was a cypress leaf. It was placed on his chest. His ring is also gone." The squire hesitated again, and his voice was filled with awe and disbelief. "Sir...it looks like it was taken out by only one person. A camp of nearly 300, all gone!"
 
   Lance gaped openly, Azlyn blinked, registering the information. Akren's eyes flickered with incredulity, and something else. Anger? Curiosity? The three of them looked to me for an explanation.
 
   Without a word, I reached into my pocket, and drew out the item that was key evidence to my case. In my outstretched hand, the Ash Clan commander's ring gleamed in the light.


© 2011 Eva Sirois


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

114 Views
Added on September 3, 2011
Last Updated on September 3, 2011


Author

Eva Sirois
Eva Sirois

About
I'm a sophomore in high school, and I love to write. I spend most of free time writing when I'm not being drowned in homework or busy with jazz band and marching band. I typically write fantasy becaus.. more..

Writing