Bibliography

Bibliography

A Chapter by Owen

 

Bibliography

 

Primary Sources

 

Annales Cambriae ed. John Williams ab Ithel.  London:  Longman, 1860.

 

Brut y Tywsogyon or The Chronicle of the Princes, Peniarth MS. 20 Version, ed. and   trans. Thomas Jones, Cardiff: University of Wales Press, 1952.

 

“Cronica de Wallia and other Documents from Exeter Cathedral Library MS. 3514,” ed            Thomas Jones, Bulletin of the Board of Celtic Studies 12 (1946) p. 27-44.

 

Littere Wallie ed. J. G. Edwards, Cardiff: University of Wales Press, 1940.

 

 

Secondary Sources

 

Alfonso, Isabel.  “Cistercians and Feudalism”  Past and Present 133 (1991): p. 3-30.

 

Bartlett, Robert and Angus MacKay.  Medieval Frontier SocietiesOxford: Clarendon             Press, 1989.

 

Benson, Robert and Giles Constable.  Renaissance and Renewal in the Twelfth Century.            Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard University Press, 1982.

 

Bouchard, Constance Brittan.  Holy Entrepreneurs: Cistercians, Knights and Economic Exchange in Twelfth-Century BurgundyIthaca: Cornell University Press, 1991

 

_____Sword, Miter and Cloister: Nobility and the Church in Burgundy, 980-1198.       Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press, 1987.

 

Bowen, E.G. “The Monastic Economy of the Cistercians of Strata Florida”                                 Ceredigion v. 1 (1950) p. 34-37.

 

Bredero, Adriaan Hendrick.  Bernard of Clairvaux:  Between Cult and HistoryGrand Rapids: Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co. 1996.

 

Bullough, D.A. and R.L. Storey.  The Study of Medieval Records: Essays in honor of    Kathleen Major.  Oxford:  Clarendon Press, 1971.

 

Burton, Janet.  Monastic and Religious Orders in Britain: 1000-1300New York:         Cambridge University Press, 1994.

 

Bynum, Caroline Walker.  Jesus as MotherLos Angeles:         University of California Press, 1982.

 

Cantor, Norman.  “The Crisis of Western Monasticism” American Historical Review 66 (1960): 47-67.

 

Constable, Giles.  Monastic TithesNew YorkCambridge University Press, 1964.

 

_____The Reformation of the Twelfth Century.   New York: Cambridge           University Press, 1996.

 

Coppack, Glyn.  The White Monks: The Cistercians in Britain 1128-1540.        Gloucestershire, UK: Tempus Publishing, 1998

 

Cooke, Alice.  “A Study in Twelfth-Century Religious Revival and Reform.”  Bulletin of                 the John Rylands Library (1925) p. 139-176.


Cowley, F. G. The Monastic Order in South Wales, 1066-1349Cardiff: University of             Wales Press, 1977.


Cownie, Emma.  Religious Patronage in Anglo-Norman England: 1066-1135.  London:             Boydell Press, 1998.


Davies, John.  A History of WalesNew York: Penguin, 1993.


Davies, R. R. Conquest, Coexistence and Change:  Wales 1063-1415Cardiff:            University of Wales Press, 1987.

 

_____Domination and Conquest.  New York: Cambridge University Press, 1990.

 

_____Revolt of Owain Glyn Dwr New York:  Oxford University Press, 1995.


Donkin, R. A. “A Checklist of Printed Works Relating to the Cistercian Order as a Whole and to the Houses of the British Isles in Particular.” Documentation Cistercinne 2     Belgium, 1969 ().


_____The Cistercians: Studies in the Geography of Medieval England and Wales.         Toronto: Pontifical Institute of Medieval Studies, 1978.


Donnelly, James S.  “Changes in the Grange Economy of English and Welsh Cistercian Abbeys, 1300-1540.”  Traditio v.10, 1954,  p.399-458.

 

Greene, J. Patrick.  Medieval Monasteries.  New York: Leicester University Press, 1992.

 

Hays, Rhys.  History of the Abbey of Aberconway, 1186-1537. Cardiff:  University of Wales Press, 1963.

 

_____ Selected Writings of Rhys W. Hays.  Stephens Point : Dept. of History, University of Wisconsin-Stephens Point, 1977.

 

Hill, Bennet D.  English Cistercian Monasteries and Their Patrons in the 12th Century.    Chicago:  University of Illinois Press, 1968.

 

Knight, L. Stanley.  The Welsh Monasteries and Their Claims for Doing the Education of           Later Medieval WalesArchaeologia Cambrensis  v. 20  (6th series) July-October      1920, p. 257-276.

 

Knowles, David.  Great Historical Enterprises-Problems in Monastic History.  New York:         Thomas Nelson and Sons, 1963.

 

_____Historian and Character.  New York:  Cambridge University Press, 1963.

 

_____Monastic Order in England. (2nd ed.)  New York:  Cambridge University Press, 1950.

 

_____Religious Orders in England, v. 1.   New York: Cambridge University Press, 1948.

 

_____Religious Orders in England, v. 2.  New York: Cambridge University Press, 1955.

 

Lackner, Bede K.  The Eleventh-Century Background of Citeaux.  Washington, D. C.: Consortium Press, 1972.

 

Lawrence, C.H.  Medieval Monasticism. (2nd ed.) New York:  Longman, 1989.

 

LeClercq, Jean.  The Love of Learning and the Desire for God.  New York: Fordham   University Press, 1982.

 

Lekai, Louis J.  The Cistercians: Ideals and Reality.  Kent, Ohio: Kent State University Press, 1977.

 

Lewis, Frank R.  “The Racial Sympathies of the Welsh Cistercians” Transactions of the           Honourable Society of Cymmrodorian, 1939.p. 103-118.

 

Lloyd, John Edward.  A History of Wales From the Earliest Times to the Edwardian      Conquest.  2 vol. New York: Longmans, 1967.

 

_____”The Welsh Chronicles” Proceedings of the British Academy 14 (1928) p. 369-391.

 

Lynch, Joseph.  The Medieval Church: A Brief History.  New York: Longmans, 1992.

 

Mudroch, Vaclav and G. S. Couse.  Essays on the Reconstruction of Medieval History.            Montreal:  McGill_Queens University Press, 1974.

 

Mils, Ludo. Angelic Monks and Earthly Men.  New York:  Boydell Press, 1992.

 

Matarasso, Pauline.  The Cistercian World: Monastic Writings of the 12th Century.  New           York: Penguin, 1993.

 

Newman, Martha.  The Boundaries of Charity :Cistercian Culture and Ecclesiastical       Reform, 1098-1180.  Stanford:  Stanford University Press, 1996.

 

Newell, E. J. A History of the Welsh Church to the Dissolution of the Monasteries.        London:  Elliot Stock, 1895.

 

O’Sullivan, Jeremiah F.  Cistercian Settlements in Wales and Monmouthshire 1140-1540.         New York: Declan X McMullen Co. 1947.

 

Pierce, T. Jones.  “Strata Florida Abbey” Ceredigion, v. 1 (1950-51) p. 18-33.

 

Prestwich, Michael.  Edward I.  New Haven: Yale University Press, 1997.

 

Radford, C. A. Ralegh.  Strata Florida Abbey.  London: H.M. Stationary Office, 1949.

 

Roberts, G  “Documents and Charters Connected with the History of Strata Florida”

 

Robinson, David.  The Cistercian Abbeys of Britian.  London:  B. T. Batsford, 1998.

 

Talbot, C. H. “A List of Cistercian Manuscripts in Great Britain,” Traditio, 8 (1952)     p. 402-418.

 

Tobin, Stephen.  The Cistercians, Monks and Monasteries of Europe.  New York:        Overlook Press, 1995.

 

Turner, Ralph.  King John.  New York: Longman, 1994.

 

Turvey, Roger.  The Lord Rhys:  Prince of Deheubarth.  (Wales): Gomer Press, 1997.

 

Volz, Carl A.  The Medieval Church.  Nashville: Abingdon Press, 1997.

 

Walker, David. Medieval Wales.  New York:  Cambridge University Press, 1990.

 

_____The Normans in Britain.  Cambridge, Mass:Basil Blackwell, 1995.

 

Warren, W. L. Henry II.  Los Angeles:  University of California Press, 1977.

 

_____King John.  Los Angeles: University of California Press, 1978.

 

White, Stephen D.  Custom, Kinship, and Gifts to Saints: The Laudatio Parentum in Western France, 1050-1150. Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina, 1988.

 

Williams, David H. Atlas of Cistercian Lands in Wales.  Cardiff:  University of Wales     Press, 1990.

 

_____The Welsh Cistercians.  2 vol.  Caldey Island, Wales:  Cyhoeddiaedau Sistersiaidd,         1984.

 

Williams, Glanmor.  The Welsh Church from Conquest to Reformation.  Fayetteville,     Ark.:  University of Arkansas Press, 1993.

 

Williams, Stephen W.  The Cistercian Abbey of Strata Florida.  London:  Whiting & Co.           1889.

 

Willis-Bund, John William.  The Celtic Church of Wales.  London:  D. Nutt, 1897.

 

Zarnecki, George.  The Monastic Achievement.  New York:  McGraw-Hill, 1972.




© 2009 Owen


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is what I call real "research"
Great work!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wow, I'd like to read some of these!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

275 Views
2 Reviews
Added on March 9, 2009


Author

Owen
Owen

MT



About
Just me. more..

Writing
My writings My writings

A Book by Owen