Dakota blue

Dakota blue

A Screenplay by Jorge Ramos
"

Part one: Rey is challenged by a severe dilemma.

"


DAKOTA BLUE 

Jorge Ramos 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

      INTRODUCTION

      It is the last day of summer break. Rey Miles Smith walks along the edge of a lake. It is about noon, and Rey is sad. He is down because school will start tomorrow. The only thing in life he regretted. He walks along with his hands in his pockets. He did not want to go to school. He loved his life outside of school, the time he spent with his family; if he were to go to school, he wouldn’t be able to see his mother as often as he did, Or his sister as often as he did now. He found a place to sit, and watched the setting sun decorate the dancing waves of the lake with shades of burgundy and orange. He despised the fact that he was going to see the People that hated him with a passion. Or that’s at least what he thought. As the sun reached its final hours the violet color caressed his face, as if trying to calm him. He didn’t like his teachers, especially because they didn’t like him. They constantly gave him a hard time. He hoped that this would be the Year that that would all change. Maybe this year he could start new and maybe live the year on, happily with his sister Fiona and his mother Nina. He sat there as the last rays of light reached out to him, thinking about the next summer. Maybe then his family would be able to afford a trip to a different place. Maybe, they could even afford to move out of the horrid place they now call home.

      Rey finally sighed and stood up wiping the dirt from his jeans, as he started to walk toward the woods. He thought that maybe seeing his mother’s kind face, or receiving his sister’s warm hug, could he then find peace in himself.  All he knew was that tomorrow would be the start of a new day.

*** 

“DAKOTA BLUE” 

FADE IN:

INT. REY’S HOUSE/REY’S ROOM – EARLY MORNING

REY MILES SMITH, a Pale skinned 17 year old boy with short messy hair sleeps in his small bed. The ALARM CLOCK goes off at exactly six thirty. He grunts as he turns it off and rolls off the bed. He rubs his eyes and heads to the bathroom

BATHROOM

REY looks at himself in the mirror and shows sadness. He looks away and gets ready for school

KITCHEN

REY ENTERS and greets his mother, NINA a short, skinny woman with black hair who is preparing food for today’s work day.  

NINA

Good morning dear, how are you?

REY

Tired, what time is it? 

REY looked at the wall searching for a clock, and glances at his seven year old blonde sister FIONA who was eating cereal

NINA

It’s about seven ten?

REY

God I’m late! Good bye mom, later Fiona!

NINA

Wait! Rey! Don’t you want to eat breakfast first?

REY

No mom! I’m going to be late for the bus, but thanks though!  

EXT. BUS STOP – MORNING

REY runs to the bus stop where he is being stared at by other Teenagers, around the same age as him; all seventeen and sixteen. Rey gets to the bus stop and pants. One of the teenage girls looks at him in disgust. REY looks at her and does a half smile, but REY quickly looks away. The GIRL Looks toward the GUY next to her and snickers a bit. A moment later the bus arrives and picks all of the Teenagers up, and takes them to school 

EXT. SCHOOL – DAY

The school day went on as every other day. REY went to class as usual, and the bullies did what they did. Rey finishes school and rides the bus home from school.  

EXT. BUS STOP – AFTERNOON

REY walks from his bus stop looking down at the Pavement. He hears a large ENGINE stop. It was his sisters bus. He turns around and looks at the yellow vehicle waiting for FIONA.  

FIONA

REY! Hey! How was school!? 

FIONA catches up to REY. They walk home and they converse about their day. 

REY

It was great! I had a lot of fun.

FIONA

Seriously? Wow! We got to play with the instruments in music class today! It was a lot of fun!

REY

Really? Which Instrument did you like the best?

Fiona

I don’t know. I really liked the Xylophone but I really liked the bongos too.

REY

What else did you do?

FIONA

Um, in art I drew a Giraffe.

REY

That’s nice. 

EXT. REY’S HOUSE/DRIVEWAY – AFTERNOON

REY and FIONA approach their home. They notice that their mother’s Ford Ranger was sitting in the drive way. NINA was home early.  

FIONA

Moms home already?

REY

Wow. I don’t know maybe something’s up at work.  

INT. REY’S HOUSE/KITCHEN - AFTERNOON

NINA is facing the kitchen counter, moving her hands making sure that neither REY nor Fiona could see what she was doing.

REY

Mom?

NINA

Uh, Yes dear?

REY

What are you doing?

NINA

Hold on, just putting on the finishing touch…

REY looks at NINA curiously and waits for her to turn around

NINA

Done! Here you go REY!

NINA is holding a small chocolate Cake. It has blue frosting that read: Happy 18th birthday!

REY Approaches the Cake slowly, in surprise. 

NINA

(cont.)

Take it! Here! 
 

REY reaches for the Cake and looks down on it.  

REY

(Shocked)

But, why a day early?

REY looks up at NINA, waiting for her response. NINA’S eyes widened. 

NINA

(Stern) 

Well, who know what could happen tomorrow? Today is your day Rey.  
 

CUT TO 

INT. REY’S HOUSE/REY’S ROOM – EARLYMORNING

The first thing we hear is an ALARMCLOCK. REY slams the alarm clock, and ENTERS the shower. He looks at himself once again through the mirror observing the paleness in his skin. He then EXITS the bathroom. After he is done getting ready he ENTERS the kitchen only to find his mother standing where she stood yesterday afternoon. 

INT. REY’S HOUSE/KITCHEN – EARLYMORNING 

REY

Mom?

NINA stands biting her nails.  

REY

(cont.)

Mom? Are you okay?

NINA

What? Oh yes. What time is it?

REY

I don’t know I think about 6:50?

NINA

That’s what I thought. Listen Rey could you take your sister to school today?

REY

But I don’t want to take her, it’s so far away! And- 

NINA

Rey, please. It’s the only thing I’ll ask for today take it as another birthday present.  

REY was suspicious, but he nodded and headed toward FIONA’S room. REY knocked on the door. 

REY

Fiona hurry up, I’m taking you to school today.

FIONA

But I don’t leave until like 7:20

REY

Mom said for me to take you. 

FIONA

But-

REY

No buts, come on I’ll be in the truck. 

INT. DRIVEWAY - EARLYMORNING

REY sits in the TRUCK. FIONA climbs into the TRUCK and buckles her seatbelt. REY was about to pull out when NINA runs out of the house toward them. 

NINA

Rey Fiona wait! 

Rey Steps on the breaks  
 

REY

Yes?

FIONA

Yea mom?

NINA

I love you so much you know that? I hope you have a great day at school, and I hope that all your days are amazing. Rey I love you so much. I love you too Fiona.

REY

Mom what’s wrong?

FIONA

Is everything okay?

NINA

Yes dear everything is perfect. I just realized that I could never live without my children. I love them so much.

REY

Mom

NINA

Love you dear. 

NINA reached over and kissed REY and FIONA on their forehead. REY looks at FIONA worryingly and waits for NINA to leave. Then he backs out and leaves the Driveway. 
 
 

INT. SCHOOL – DAY 

REY drove the Ford to school. He went on with school, still wondering about his mother. Afterschool he drove home in his mothers ford Ranger. 
 

EXT. DRIVEWAY – AFTERNOON

REY arrived at his house. He gets out of the ranger and spots the door wide open. He slowly ENTERS his house. 

INT. HOUSE – AFTERNOON

REY looked around; His mother’s vase was broken. There was blood on the floor, there was broken glass everywhere along with broken picture frames. Rey ENTERS the kitchen, 

KITCHEN

The table was overturned, the chairs were knocked over, there was broken glass here too, and more blood.  Rey followed the blood behind the table. He falls to his knees; as he saw his mothers pale face, dead. 

REY

Mom! Mom!

REY’s tears run down his face.

REY

(shouting)

Mom! No Mom wake up!  

EXT. DRIVEWAY – NIGHT 

Police Cars are seen in the driveway. Yellow “DO NOT CROSS” tape is blocking the way inside. REY is seen leaning against his mother’s Ford Ranger. He is talking to a police officer when he remembers about His sister Fiona who stayed afterschool for her club. 

REY

Damn it! I completely forgot about Fiona! My sister!

OFFICER HENRY

Your sister?

REY

Yea she had Math Club today! I forgot to pick her up. I’m an idiot!

OFFICER HENRY

No, son, don’t worry I’ll go pick her up.

Officer Henry headed to his Car when Fiona showed up.

FIONA

No you won’t- Rey were you? I’ve been waiting for hours didn’t mom say you were gona pick me up after school?

REY looked over at FIONA with heavy eyes.

REY

Fiona, Mom isn’t here anymore.

FIONA

What? 

REY

I got here after school, and I found her in the kitchen. 

FIONA backs off slowly shaking her head in disbelief. 

REY

Fiona, Mom’s dead

FIONA

No, that can’t be 

REY steps forward to comfort her 

REY

Fiona listen-

FIONA

No she was going to come to my play! She can’t be…dead!

REY  
I’m Sorry!
 

REY hugs FIONA. OFFICER HENRY approaches them. 

OFFICER HENRY

Rey? This is Oliver Chatman; he’s your mother’s lawyer, and coincidentally, he works for social services. Rey, he wishes to speak to you.

REY turns to see OLIVER CHATMAN, a tall dark skinned male, probably in his late 20s he nods, and leaves FIONA as they walk on. 

OLIVER CHATMAN

Rey, I wish to talk about your mother’s will.

REY

Yes? 

OLIVER CHATMAN

You see, she left you her Truck

REY

Did she?  

REY was still upset about his mother. 

OLIVER CHATMAN

Yes. You see, aside from the truck, she also left you an additional 10,000 dollars in her savings account.

REY

Okay.

OLIVERY CHATMAN

But on a more obvious note; you can’t Take care of Fiona. Or can you?

REY

Yes, I think I can

OLIVER CHATMAN

No, you can’t think, you have to know. We can’t play with these kinds of things Rey.

REY

I am perfectly able to care for my sister.

OLIVER CHATMAN

I don’t think so. Rey, what about school?

REY

I’ll drop out

OLIVER CHATMAN

Rey, you can’t do that, that’s not right.

REY

No, what isn’t right is that you want to take my sister away after what happened. 

OLIVER pauses 
 

REY

Listen Mr. Chatman, I love Fiona, and now that I am 18 I can make my own decision and I think that Fiona should stay with me. I’m the only family she has left; she’s the only family I have left.

OLIVER CHATMAN

Very well then.

OLIVER walks off screen, REY Heads over to FIONA.

FIONA

What did he say?

REY

Nothing.

 
FIONA

Rey tell me. 

REY looks up to the sky, he waits and thinks for a second. 
 

REY

Tomorrow we leave. 

FADE TO BLACK 

***

      And so Fiona and Rey leave the small city of Grapevine. They left at exactly 6:30 that morning stuffing the Ford Ranger With their clothes and most precious belongings, leaving behind only their furniture, silverware and the Disturbing memory that was Nina’s Death.

      Rey had no were to go. No other family than Fiona. They both drove north until the gas in the truck was all gone. Rey and Fiona ended up in a small city in north Dakota. Fiona and Rey Started over, in a city called Park River.

© 2009 Jorge Ramos


My Review

Would you like to review this Screenplay?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

223 Views
Added on January 2, 2009

Author

Jorge Ramos
Jorge Ramos

Stuart, FL



About
As you live, you learn from your mistakes, you grow from what you've learned. I think that everything that I do, all the things that influence me, like music family friends, made me what I am today. l.. more..

Writing
she she

A Poem by Jorge Ramos