Chapter 1: Fire

Chapter 1: Fire

A Chapter by Petal

A long time ago, I said to myself I would do anything to change the world.

It was a dream I’ve had since then.

What I would do was and is still a mystery to me but I will do whatever it takes. Even if I am still a high school, I feel as if I haven’t fulfilled that accomplishment. Ms. Hurtz, my psychiatrist, things I will do amazing things but I don’t even think I’ll do that.

Just living is very difficult for me now but I had promised not only myself but my friends and everyone around me that I would continue to survive.

But it’s complex.

 

Right now my class is on a field trip down at the Mythological Museum that is in England. I decided to stay behind, one reason was because I didn’t have the money but another reason is because I’m in the hospital.

My father and mother decided it was a good idea to light me on fire for getting an F on my report card. Luckily my neighbors aren’t idiotic and called a fire department while also soaking me in water. The right side of my body is almost completely useless at the moment. The doctors say it will recover but not for a while. Willow, my friend, wasn’t happy and threatened my parents. I told her it was ok and that I was ok; she broke down crying until she had to leave.

 

“Phoebe, there is someone here to see you.”

I gently opened my eye to see Ms. Hurtz. “Hello Phoebe, how are you?”

“I’m alright, you know, besides the burns.” I almost slurred as I spoke. It hurt to talk or for that matter do anything.

“That’s good to hear. Your parents have been arrested and because you have no family, they want to put you in an orphanage.”

My eye went wide, “What- What about m-my aunt or un-uncle?” I questioned her. “We spoke to them and they said that you were the least of their troubles. I’m sorry Phoebe.”

Like hell she is. I bet they didn’t even try. Why can’t anything in my life go right for a change?

I closed my eye and screamed. The screaming caused damage and opened a few of my stitches. But I refuse to go to an orphanage.

 

“No matter how much it will harm me, I have to get out of this malevolent hospital and away from all of my antagonists.”

Saying antagonist makes me feel like a “hero” but I’m not.

I got out of my hospital bed using what strength I had and made it to a wheel chair. I have to be quick or they’ll catch me.

 

I can see the main entrance but there are so many damn doctors here it’s hard to come up with excuses with why I’m wheeling around. However I can use the, ‘I’m going to get some fresh air’ defense.

“Excuse me miss, but where are you going?”

“Just going to go get some air. It’s really stuffy in this hospital; I really wonder how you guys put up with it?

He laughs but starts to insist on getting a nurse to come out with me just in case.

"I really see your concerns but I really don't want to be a burden on any of the nurses here. Plus, I'll be right back anyways." He looks at me suspiciously which makes me start to wonder if he figured out something.

"If you say so." He said with a hint of worry in his deep voice but walks off to tend to other patients.


I get outside to see a giant parking lot that I have to cross. Well, if I want to leave I'll have to be very quick about this.

 

I get to the side walk and wheel off toward the street. The one thing I didn’t count on was the fact I was going down a hill. The wheel chair started to take off with speed with me still inside and I admit, I was a little terrified. But then he came.

The smug, arrogant ignoramus Zayne. At our school he is a popular guy but not to me. I hate his whole being from looks to personality. In my belief anyone with a rotten personality, is just an ugly person. He goes to my school and is even in my class but I avoid him as much as possible. However, no matter how stupid he may be, he just may have saved my life.

Zayne ran in front of the wheel chair and stopped it from crashing with the ground or colliding with someone.

“Are you ok?!?!”

“Yeah, I’m fine.” Hopefully he won’t recognize me.

“OK, good. My name is Zayne. Woah! What happened to your face?!”

“Um…that isn’t really any of your business.”

He shrugged his shoulders and asked, “So, where were you goin’ in such a hurry?”

“Away from the hospital; I don’t really care where I end up after that.”

 

Zayne decided that he was going to take me to his house; against my will of course. But, it is not at the hospital. He has been blabbing away about how his class went to England and that he didn’t want to go because he has seen it a million times. It was really boring until he said something that caught my attention.

“But anyways, there is this girl, her name is Willow and she is really cute. She ended up going to England but as soon as she comes back I want to take her out. And then, maybe at the end of the night I’ll get lucky. If you know what I mean.”

As soon as I heard that I wanted to tear his brain out through his eye sockets. “How can you even say that? Are you that idiotic that you would think you even had a chance with Willow? You are just an imbecile who deserves something sinful to happen. Willow is the best person you will ever meet in your life and you are just going to use her for your own sexual needs. You make me sick Zayne.”

I could feel his shock radiating off of him. “You say that like you know me but we haven’t even met before. And on top of that how do you even know Willow?!”

“For one thing, I do know you. We have been in every class and school together since elementary school. Secondly, Willow is and always will be my best friend. You hurt her I break your face with a spoon.”

He turned a corner and the rest of the way was silent for a change. We got to a big house and we wheeled me up to the porch. Zayne turned me around with a shocked face.

“Oh my God, you’re Phoebe right. The fire girl from Lanchester High?”

I glared at him when he realized it but I nodded my head. Better for him to go inside with someone he knows instead of being haunted by his parents for letting in a stranger. He rubbed his head in an awkward manner and apologized for what he had said earlier about Willow. He pushed the wheel chair and I inside his glistening polished house. But then I say the giant staid case. There was no way he would be able to make the steps with me in the wheel chair. What am I thinking? Why would he bring me up stairs? Maybe I’m just curious about what would be up there. It reminds me of a castle from a modern day fairy tale. He must have seen me staring at the stairs because he decided to pick me up and run up the stairs, all the while me hitting his back and face. It was painful to be carried and he could have opened up my stitches.

He started to laugh but I felt victorious seeing as I gave him a bloody nose and hopefully a black eye.

“Geesh, you’re feisty. I just thought that you wanted to see what was up here. You were staring at it, even when I was asking you if you wanted something to drink.”

I glared at him and then pointed to my burns and stitches that were visible. He rubbed the back of his head again and nervously laughed.

Zayne brought me back down stairs but gently this time and laid me on the couch.

“Um…Where are your parents, anyways?”

“Tch, my parents, if you want to call them that; are out on business tonight. I hope you don’t mind that.”

“No, that’s fine.” I’m certain it was probably best not to ask him why he resented his parents like that. I mean, I don’t know what they did…

 but it can’t be as bad a trying to burn your kid to death.



© 2012 Petal


Author's Note

Petal
Word count: 1,485(count if you want =P)
I just wanted to try something different

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

"A long time ago, I said to myself I would do anything to change the world."

That was a very powerful way to start this chapter. I was completely drawn in by it, and it lead me to be like "Well yeah, everyone says that, so what?". You played a very old trick on me, and it worked! XD

But enough about me, lets talk about this: Phoebe seems like a very down-to-earth kinda girl, so she already gets points from me. I like how she does the "Talk To Your Face" then "Talk To You In My Head" type of thing. Rockin!

The only thing that bugged me is how the doctor just let Phoebe leave the hospital. Realistically, doctors would insist that you be escorted by a nurse so the patient doesn't run away. If you were trying to act unrealistically, then it worked, but I would suggest trying to make it more believeable. Sometimes one cant take a novel seriously if there are too many unrealistic choices or events.

Other then that, great work! I'll be sure to read the other chapters as they come out!

-"Phillip"



Posted 11 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I love the way you started the chapter. It's really good. I love your use of sarcasm too. The way you've written it makes the readers feel sorry for Phoebe. We start rooting for her. Wanting to know what happens to her keeps us drawn in. I do agree with Phillip about her leaving the hospital though. I really like it. Can't wait to read the next chapter. :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


it's so sad i mean burning your own child? and the thing is, many children go through these horrors and worse all over the world. anyways the title caught my attention. i love this chapter and story so far

Posted 11 Years Ago


i like the idea of the story so far its very unique kinda reminds me of games i used to play as a kid cant wait to read more


Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

"A long time ago, I said to myself I would do anything to change the world."

That was a very powerful way to start this chapter. I was completely drawn in by it, and it lead me to be like "Well yeah, everyone says that, so what?". You played a very old trick on me, and it worked! XD

But enough about me, lets talk about this: Phoebe seems like a very down-to-earth kinda girl, so she already gets points from me. I like how she does the "Talk To Your Face" then "Talk To You In My Head" type of thing. Rockin!

The only thing that bugged me is how the doctor just let Phoebe leave the hospital. Realistically, doctors would insist that you be escorted by a nurse so the patient doesn't run away. If you were trying to act unrealistically, then it worked, but I would suggest trying to make it more believeable. Sometimes one cant take a novel seriously if there are too many unrealistic choices or events.

Other then that, great work! I'll be sure to read the other chapters as they come out!

-"Phillip"



Posted 11 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

203 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 13, 2012
Last Updated on May 13, 2012


Author

Petal
Petal

Atlantica, MA



About
Hello, I’ve had this account for a long time but haven’t used it for a while. I think since high school. But recently I’ve been wanting to write again and have been working on a boo.. more..

Writing