Sad Butterfly Tears

Sad Butterfly Tears

A Story by Frieda P

An orphan of love, a victim of circumstance
she stood upon the ridge of a precipice
leaning over the edge wondering if she'd find peace there 
she felt nothing but a mighty wind calling her name
             promising eternal peace ever after
she shut her eyes and the sight took her breath away
just then, a lovely butterfly perched upon her shoulder to say... 

 'you are not done, I'd given up hope too,
  but a mere lowly caterpillar, fuzzy without a clue,
   look at me now, I'm magnificent, some decisions
   are made for us, other's we have control over, 
   you too can find your heart's calling and desire'

She opened her eyes to feel the sunrise on her frown
her tears dried up and she thought if given half the chance

I could fly too, she took the leap,

... the butterfly's message had failed in a very tragic way,
                                          ~she cried real butterfly tears

If there's any kind of moral here it's surely, we can try our damned best, but we can't save everyone. Sad, yet true. 


© 2013 Frieda P


Author's Note

Frieda P
Won 'Captivating', title in the 'Who can write the most captivating poem or story?' Thank you kindly....

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I totally agree with the moral lesson and if you will alow me to say that is all true but they have to be willing or able for some are not willing and some are not even able. Love conquers all at the end and I hope we all find inner piece... An excellent subject and write kind lady...:)
Faves

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

Thank you kindly sweet Sami, inner peace would be nice.
Sami Khalil

10 Years Ago

True, true , true...You are welcome...:)



Reviews

Well done & Extremely sad..if someone is driven to this..they will find away..and we are left with questions & holes..

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

That's what I've been told Renee, still the pain is unbearable, thanks so much for your thoughts.
Renée

10 Years Ago

I can tell Luv...I wish I had some magic words to ease your heart..xo
so beautiful. . .so sad . . .and so true.
i recently lost someone to suicide and i could only ask myself "Why? What could I have done differently" and often the answer is nothing. I gave him all my love, there's nothing more i could've done for him.
"if there's any kind of moral here it's surely, we can try our damned best, but we can't save everyone. Sad, yet true."

thank you for this poem.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

Sorry to hear this, suicide does take more than one life, those let behind inherit their pain, thank.. read more
I know this comes from the heart. A reckoning, coming to terms, perhaps for you. We cannot really save anyone. The realization of their purpose, value, happiness comes from within. Sometimes life's battles cloud the view so much it is hard to see anything clearly. We struggle with trying to help them see, but it is so hard. I felt this one, Frieda.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

Much appreciate your kind words Sera, thanks muchly.
Felt like a story than a poem yet I enjoyed it as I usually do from you Frieda

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

I thought about that too, wasn't sure where it fit exactly, thanks Aidz.
Aidz

10 Years Ago

Narrative?
Frieda P

10 Years Ago

I have no clue, I mostly write only poetry, so when my brain mixes it up, I'm confuzzled, ha ;-)
This makes my heart ache. I know we can't save everyone, try as we may, but wouldn't it be nice if we could? I love the raw honesty that strings its self through so much of your work. Your pen has such a humble voice that begs to be heard and carries with it valliant messages born from true hurt and real grace. This was, as always, well written my friend.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

I'm humbled by your words Kristin, thanks so much.
This is a bit of a coming to terms write for you, I think...I can only imagine how John McF will receive it ;-) Very emotional, and very well written...a lovely piece with a sad moral, but a moral all the same.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

Haven't heard from Mr Critical ;-) We'll see, I had a moment anyway, thanks the kimmer.
KAOlmsted

10 Years Ago

Always my pleasure. xoxo
I am impressed by the simplistic beauty of this poem. So many of us strive to know the place we have in this world and have a hard time deciphering exactly what that 'place' is. This poem captured that very torment that some suffer through and can no longer carry on with. Tragic yet beautiful all in the same piece.

~Raven

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

Much appreciate your insight Raven, thank you kindly.
In Chinese Buddhist tradition lovers are often reborn as butterflies. This could be true of all we love. Flying before they should they are taken by the wind away from us. Across the meadows stopping to collect that which goes on from our souls.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

That's a truly lovely thought Ken, I wasn't aware, thanks for sharing.
The butterfly really tried to help...maybe, on some level, it did...

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

Hardly feels that way, thanks Marie.
This is a beautifully written poem, Frieda, mournful not only for the loss you portray here, but for the truth that you express - we are powerless to save everyone - even those whom we love the most. So damned frustrating and heartbreaking. Today in the schoolyard, my students were picking up caterpillars and letting them crawl up their arms. I watched them carefully, because I didn't want the caterpillars to get hurt, reminding the kids that they are meant to be butterflies. That was about an hour ago - and your poem is telling me to remember that lesson about preserving all the caterpillars we can...

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

What a lovely story Rita, thanks for sharing it with me/us...much appreciate your kind words.
Rita L. Sev

10 Years Ago

I love it when the poetry here parallels Life - and vice versa.
Frieda P

10 Years Ago

As it so often does, that's what I love about it most...

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

857 Views
26 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 17, 2013
Last Updated on June 7, 2013

Author

Frieda P
Frieda P

NJ



About
If you want to know me, read my poetry, it's all in there. I am a mother of three sons (my finest moments) a sister, a survivor and a little bit crazy. I lost my beloved sister to suicide, so you'll.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


dear mom dear mom

A Poem by quinfinn