Dining with a Side of Heimlich

Dining with a Side of Heimlich

A Poem by Frieda P
"

Burnt offerings.

"
The words and feelings that are sorted jambalaya
     like a slow cooker they steam and churn
burnt offerings of the most selective cuts
      adding spice and touches of old seeping memories
there seems to be no end to the feast of negativity
       written in crocks of smiles, still can't toast it just right
when you've been half baked and fried to death
     roasting at excessive high heat and drenched in hot sauce
             it's hard to swallow the sweet essence of life's flavors
serve it up with crusty bread and wine to the guests
          they have no clue what they've imbibed
would they choke on the horse of a different color
          if they knew they just dined on sacrificial lamb
supper is tastefully served with a side order of Heimlich 

© 2013 Frieda P


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

What a powerful metaphor Frieda. Have you ever seen the movie Something to talk About? There is a scene where Julia Roberts talks about sitting their politely smiling while she is served up copious amounts of BS, like a good southern girl. There are times you need the Heimlich indeed.

Posted 10 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

DCT ponderings

10 Years Ago

I'm from Philly so I know you Miss Italiano. You dish it up passionately, loudly and without abandon.. read more
Frieda P

10 Years Ago

Ciao neighbor, so you do know :-)
DCT ponderings

10 Years Ago

si si! :))



Reviews

I don't really get the vibe of lying that a couple writers below me had outright stated in their reviews, but rather anxiety. An anxiety in which nothing has gone according to plan, and said man strangling on the words has managed to turn the antidote (to what? who knows!) into a poison by choking on it; fumbling for the precise words to say to the mistress across the table. A Heimlich would not save the man, ironically, only another person will.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

Actually Tai it's about people who turn their heads to what's truly being served up....
Tai Ryens

10 Years Ago

Ah, well, I do tend to blame myself often. Very fine poem indeed.
Frieda P

10 Years Ago

Don't think you'd turn your back on the blatant truth my friend.....
A very sly metaphor. Sometimes we confuse the poison for the antidote. Nice work Frieda.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

Glad you enjoyed my little rant, thanks Shane.
What a powerful metaphor Frieda. Have you ever seen the movie Something to talk About? There is a scene where Julia Roberts talks about sitting their politely smiling while she is served up copious amounts of BS, like a good southern girl. There are times you need the Heimlich indeed.

Posted 10 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

DCT ponderings

10 Years Ago

I'm from Philly so I know you Miss Italiano. You dish it up passionately, loudly and without abandon.. read more
Frieda P

10 Years Ago

Ciao neighbor, so you do know :-)
DCT ponderings

10 Years Ago

si si! :))
Talk about wordplay! Great job here, Frieda.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

Woo, jazzed by your review hero, thanks!
Travis Gibson (poetic heroics)

10 Years Ago

You more than earn any praise you recieve. You are a brilliant writer.
Frieda P

10 Years Ago

Truly humbled by your words, many thanks again.....
Oh, you`ve cooked something good up here alright, Frieda! This is gutsy cordon bleu stuff served in a truckers` diner to satisfy the palate of the fussiest metaphor muncher! I won`t have to eat for a week! P.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

I just so happen to be an excellent cook Pete, thanks! :-)
if they knew they just dined on sacrificial lamb


clever and deep, well penned my friend. :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

Ha, thanks Zahra, actually lamb is a favorite of mine, here it's served cold. :-)
like this too, and as someone who lives in Germany greatly enjoyed the Germanic Heimlich ( secret !), a poem with style and wry humour...

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

Ha Leslie, your secret is safe with me...thanks!
This is such a great metaphorical piece. I feel each word you’ve written, the humor is a nice diversion from the sadness, negativity, loss, and proverbial sacrificial lamb.

"there seems to be no end to the feast of negativity
written in crocks of smiles, still can't toast it just right
when you've been half baked and fried to death
roasting at excessive high heat and drenched in hot sauce
it's hard to swallow the sweet essence of life's flavors"

favorite stanza, very powerful words.


Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

Some days you need humor just to get through all the stuff that gets jammed down our throats, thanks.. read more
Traci

10 Years Ago

Laughter is our best medicine, and you, my friend always bring your wonderful sense of humor here to.. read more
Not everyone is who they pretend to be. If I have learned anything in life, I've learned that much, especially from some of my supposed 'friends' here, on WC.

This reminded me of that old saying, "Revenge is a dish best served cold." I like to believe that's true. I see no reason to pretend to be someone other than who I am. I like me, just the way I am. When treated with respect, I meter it with respect in return. Being 'YOU', that's what it's really all about, isn't? it Metallica says so, and I happen to like Metallica too! Great write here, Frieda!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

Hear, hear...and who could possibly argue with Metallica? Thanks Dean!
I love this sardonic tone. You will serve the same to all who gather at your table but offer the sensitive service of Heimlich for those who find themselves choking. Am I close? Lots of writers would condemn the chokers and coughers and bid them choke on their own vomit as they leave; they would suffer no fools. But I think who are we to know the fools from those who will drink your wine with no quibble? Perhaps in offering your treat to all who care to try, you snatch a fool back from the mouth of derision. The razor edges of these lines dare the reader to choke. It is a wonderful read. Brava.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

How I love to read your review my friend, you always read me so well, grazie mille!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

917 Views
40 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on July 2, 2013
Last Updated on July 2, 2013

Author

Frieda P
Frieda P

NJ



About
If you want to know me, read my poetry, it's all in there. I am a mother of three sons (my finest moments) a sister, a survivor and a little bit crazy. I lost my beloved sister to suicide, so you'll.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Blinky light Blinky light

A Poem by Angi