Where Do Poets Go

Where Do Poets Go

A Poem by Frieda P
"

~For all the tortured poets on the WC and beyond...

"
Dorothy L. Sayers
“Heaven deliver us, what's a poet? Something that can't go to bed without making a song about it.” 
― Dorothy L. Sayers

Where do old poets go to die
are we ever laid to rest
could our words live on
into the cosmos for posterity
Old dusty book shelves our castles,
our pen the sword that exults us
Prose and rhyme that differentiate us from the masses
we the thousands that have won no accolades
only our peers to love our treasured words,
have signed no contract other than
the blood we've shed through our written word
will each tear, joy, delirium, every ounce of sweat
that has stained our poetry
metaphorically be our fortress in the sky
will we live on in the eyes of  those who dare to follow
to tread in our pages as we have those who came before us

Socrates
“I decided that it was not wisdom that enabled [poets] to write their poetry, but a kind of instinct or inspiration, such as you find in seers and prophets who deliver all their sublime messages without knowing in the least what they mean.” 
― Socrates

© 2013 Frieda P


Author's Note

Frieda P
captcha~aimless

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I think the saddest thing I feel at times are my unread words. Especially here amongst my peers. I just sent an RR out on a poem that has been here since May. Its not a great thing but it has a place in my heart. And its never been reviewed.
Its part of the reason I review as much as I do. Because we poets - we are our words.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

Tammy you break my heart, I don't think I have that in my RR's, of course they've run amuck...you're.. read more
TL Boehm

10 Years Ago

RRs multiply when you aren't looking. Like watered mogwai.
Frieda P

10 Years Ago

Oh I know, I can't keep up....send it to me in a PM, I looked and couldn't find it on your page.



Reviews

Possibly the best on writers I've written recently, and into the favs it goes

"our pen the sword that exults us" / "Prose and rhyme that differentiate us from the masses"

Lovin these lines! The truth is so redeeming

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

Wow Antonyo, you humble me with your kind words, thanks so much.
Mine pages are stained with dirty sweat because my palms are naturally clammy and drippy:D But I guess what matters most is the soul, because whatever kind of soul a poet has is gonna reflect on his writes. And when a poet goes into nothing, those who ramain is going to identify the nature of the poet through his words. It's been a while so I have a tendency to be a little far off, lol.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

Wow have missed you Maryanne, you're working way too hard my friend.....you're not off lol I think .. read more
Wow. That was absolutely beautiful and expresses a truth that only poets really understand. You my friend are a master of prose and a poet I look up to immensely. :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

Nice to see you C.E. thanks so much for your gracious review. :-)
C.E.Grey

10 Years Ago

It's nice to be back. As always the gratitude flows more toward your direction :)
Frieda, you ask a question I am more than certain all of us ask at one time or the other, the only difference is, you do it so beautifully. Your words are like music, soft flowing rhythms so sweet flowing through the air. I love the basis for this poem and the fact that somewhere inside I know you wrote it for all of us. I truly believe all we can hope for is that opur poetry touches someone and maybe helps them through a difficult situation and brings a smile to their face or better yet, inspires them as you do me. Amazing my sweet friend, simply amazing.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

I agree with you there Jack, we think we're so different from one another, but in all actuality we'r.. read more
Ha! That captcha says it all, eh?? Beautifully done, Frieda. My pages are stained with plenty of tears and a little sweat, too. Probably quite a bit of spilled wine (whine), too! Ha! Angi~

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

10 Years Ago

No doubt Angi, a lot of wine (whine) ha....thanks, those captchas are on the money sometimes!

7
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2330 Views
65 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 14 Libraries
Added on September 17, 2013
Last Updated on September 19, 2013
Tags: poets, poetry, prose, rhyme, dusty book shelves, words, joy

Author

Frieda P
Frieda P

NJ



About
If you want to know me, read my poetry, it's all in there. I am a mother of three sons (my finest moments) a sister, a survivor and a little bit crazy. I lost my beloved sister to suicide, so you'll.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Change Change

A Poem by KeelyJane