~secret's garden dancing to the end of love

~secret's garden dancing to the end of love

A Poem by Frieda P
"

...inspired by Leonard Cohen

"
Secret's garden dancing to the end of love,
    flowers prancing on skies' vaulted ceiling
swaying to the beat of the rain, 
  & the heat within a thunderous roar,
     unearthed in destiny's call of the wild
  uprooted to play in the garden of Eden



I've always been enamored by the song 'Dance me to the End of Love', I was fascinated to learn that Leonard Cohen actually wrote it about the horrors of concentration camps. They would be playing classical music while their fellow prisoners were being killed and burnt in certain death camps, whilst a string quartet played on as prisoners met their fated deaths. So, the lyrics signify the completion of life in essence...'Dance me to your beauty with a burning violin'...still makes me think of the sweetness of love but perhaps in a much more complex way and with a better appreciation of life.

© 2014 Frieda P


Author's Note

Frieda P

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

In the movie, "The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly", used a similar idea as prisoners were tortured and often killed for information as the whole camp was forced to listen to violin music, knowing full well what was going on.

I didn't know what was behind this song thinking it was just a L. Cohen metaphor for love forever. So I appreciate your note to this poem. His poetry and music was often on the edge of consciously resistance to the ugliness in the world. L. C was our social consciousness. Frieda, many of your poems bring forth this same humanity. Not only being influenced, but applying and taking this further in what you create. This "Secret Garden" must be uprooted, replanted with a new humanity no longer associated with abuse, degradation,and death camps.

I think there is love in your poem Frieda, and its complexities, and where flowers and humanity prance in those skies... It's a wonderful poem Frieda, I love it and you for writing it.
~~redzone

Posted 9 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

9 Years Ago

Jeez Curt, you brought tears to my eyes, what a touching review, you've touched my heart deeply...no.. read more



Reviews

you have such contrasting emotions and images in my head right now girl... on one hand I see this stunning garden with the elegant swaying of flowers in the breeze to the beautiful melody, happy, carefree amongst this breathtaking beauty. Then I see despair, lines of hopelessness waiting for the end to their suffering, knowing what fate awaited them... omg... to feel so light carefree, and heavy at the same time is mind-blowing this morning.. Damn, I need another cup of coffee... sooo moving ma'am...

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

9 Years Ago

So thrilled it brought you there, similar to the notions that were dancing around in my head when I .. read more
Again amazed by the combination of your write and inspiration.
Very profound and deep write :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

9 Years Ago

Thanks so much Ayushi :)
Such a powerful piece you have written.
I learned something too.
very well done.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

9 Years Ago

Thanks so much Mad, glad you enjoyed this one...
With your poetry you made the song...legend! Great job.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A. Amos

9 Years Ago

Your poetry is not less than any Leonard song:) pleasure...
Frieda P

9 Years Ago

You just made my heart skip a beat my friend, I adore his work, both poetry and music, you have no i.. read more
A. Amos

9 Years Ago

You mi amor are one of the finest Poet, it kill me sometimes howcome your name is not in the top ten.. read more
Goodness this song became much more heavy all of the sudden. Great write as usual.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

9 Years Ago

True, thanks so much Streamline...
I am impressed with your knowledge Cohen. My problem is, once I know something about a song, that is the image that pops into my head every time. The very fact that you linked your poem to this song changes the entire meaning of the poem for me. Without the link, I would have interpreted it as a romantic, soft piece, coupling it with Cohen's piece makes me feel like the couple are dancing to their death, unaware as they dance. Either way, it is a good poem, but the outcome is very different.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

9 Years Ago

No I believe you, since my kiddos call me Al, short for Alzheimer...haha I bet you recall the title .. read more
Lyn Anderson

9 Years Ago

I love ya, Al. Even if you Slip once in a while. Gotta eat some breakfast and get back to the real w.. read more
Frieda P

9 Years Ago

Oh that I remember!! Enjoy your day hon...x
your poem inspires me .. renews my belief in love .. it love to the death but your last line brings me to the beginning .. love that .. circle you have completed and begun .. if i recall from Schindler's List .. the players were prisoners forced to play ... reminds me of Psalm 137:2-9

"On the willows there we hung up our lyres. 3 For there our captors required of us songs, and our tormentors, mirth, saying, "Sing us one of the songs of Zion!" 4 How shall we sing the LORD's song in a foreign land? 5 If I forget you, O Jerusalem, let my right hand wither! 6 Let my tongue cleave to the roof of my mouth, if I do not remember you, if I do not set Jerusalem above my highest joy! 7 Remember, O LORD, against the E'domites the day of Jerusalem, how they said, "Rase it, rase it! Down to its foundations!" 8 O daughter of Babylon, you devastator! Happy shall he be who requites you with what you have done to us! 9 Happy shall he be who takes your little ones and dashes them against the rock! "

your poem and comments are exquisite for me this morning!
E.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

9 Years Ago

Yes they were forced to play, all were stripped of any dignity they might have had left...thanks for.. read more
WOW Got so much out of this has so much meaning and life lessons to carry on. Quit the History lesson with such great poetry I just joined this site to day and all ready expanded my knowledge. Asking What the hell was going on in the minds and souls of the ww2 death camp prisoners!!!!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

9 Years Ago

Can only imagine, thanks so much for your review Smitty.
okay everybody put your clothes back on...or your fig leaves and out of the pool...

uprooted by the reality that we were made to dance and sing and play...and if that gets us kicked out of the garden, so be it.

and you envy my talent??? good grief...you are an incredibly consistently wonderful wordsmith.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

9 Years Ago

Coming from you, that means a lot jacob, thanks so much my friend....
Lovely Frieda. :)
And the song...
You know Leonard Cohen is one of my ALL-TIME faves.
I love the man.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

9 Years Ago

Ha, you're supposed to say that to the guys :)
Matching Socks

9 Years Ago

Oops. :)...
Matching Socks

9 Years Ago

Just one guy actually. :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

744 Views
33 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on July 9, 2014
Last Updated on July 9, 2014

Author

Frieda P
Frieda P

NJ



About
If you want to know me, read my poetry, it's all in there. I am a mother of three sons (my finest moments) a sister, a survivor and a little bit crazy. I lost my beloved sister to suicide, so you'll.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Some Angel Some Angel

A Poem by MsJewel