etched your name...

etched your name...

A Poem by Frieda P
"

~

"

I fear not being able to recall your voice,                                      
                   the tone of inflection in your laughter                                                 
flibbertigibbet on your most playful days,
  endearing smile in earnest expression
regard for the smallest of creatures
 taking on the underdog's plight as your own,
  fog of your breath on rainy windowpanes
           as you etched your name,
your face lit in amusement's spark
      angle which you cocked your head inquisitively
sweet times you held my hand when you were scared,
 how we both adored the scent
                 of  wildflowers in our tresses,
times we shared in wistful reminiscences
butterflies on your wedding day and the last,
  matter of fact way you'd call me 'big sis'....
most of all I miss the exceptional warmth 
            of your sunshine in every minute's sigh

© 2014 Frieda P


Author's Note

Frieda P

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

fog of your breath on rainy windowpanes
as you etched your name,
that line right there. I've never lost someone to suicide - only to the monsters of disease and the ticking clock. We are all wired differently - some of it is hard wiring and some - factory second work due to upbringing - the wear and tear of this difficult life on a soul not designed for so much pain...what ever it is - for me personally and what made this poem worm its way down to the place where I ache - is this: for me life presents itself, memory presents itself in the smallest of moments. I remember the exact color and shape of my dad's lips as he read me bedtime stories, when we lived in KS (I was five when we moved to AR) life continues residually in pictures, in songs, phrases, words - and you have captured this with such heartwrenching eloquence. That you can bring this back to the surface with such raw emotion and articulate the beauty in these moments - that is brave. some of us writers - we don't ever get past the rage - we are cynical and toxic. You aren't. The light as others have said just flows from you and your words.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

You write so beautifully...I have No words Frieda. I know your feelings here...

"I fear not being able to recall your voice,
the tone of inflection in your laughter"

We are scared to let go of the ones we love. Scared of their fading impressions and inflections.

It is now ten years. And I feel like it's just yesterday. Sometimes I have to wipe the fog that settles on my window pane to see her clearly now. But when I do, there she is, standing across the courtyard, us exchanging smiles over a shared secret joke. Tarry my dear friend, we will join them in that field of butterflies one day.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Frieda.

Just such a beautiful and heartfelt poem. I only know you from your short bio, but even so, I felt the love, the longing to my very core; and those last three lines brought a tear to my eye.

Take care and may those beautiful memories last to eternity.

Beccy.



Posted 9 Years Ago


wow. i don't have much to say other than "that was powerful pretty" but, sometimes you don't even have to say that much. i'm looking forward to reading more of your work.

Posted 9 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Dee
This is just beautiful Frieda, brought me to the edge of tears, having lost a younger sis and her calling me Big Sis too.. The memories like yours are both painful and beautiful ~ Stunning work and a pleasure to read and review....Best Wishes...Dee

Posted 9 Years Ago


This is a really touching and beautiful poem Frieda. Thanks for sharing her sweet memories

Posted 9 Years Ago


A wonderfully feeling piece of writing.
Memories echos can bring us solace.
Clive

Posted 9 Years Ago


This was beautiful Frieda. I could feel the emotion, the pain, the anguish and love in this piece. Each line distinctly telling a story and laying out a tribute to someone so loved. You spell out a connection that is so divine Frieda. May we never forget the ones that have touched us so dearly in life and may they forever remain in our hearts.


Posted 9 Years Ago


what beautiful words from a beautiful soul ... sending you all the love form across the seas ... MWAH xxx

Posted 9 Years Ago


I never referred to my sister by her name...I always called her "sis". Only now, whenever I speak of her, do I voice her name...and then the sound of it reverberates within my heart and my soul.

I needn't tell you how exquisitely beautiful this is, for both of us deeply know of this loss, and both of us will continue to find solice within the poetry we write, no matter the longivity of years.

I wish I could have known "Lee"...I wish you could have known "Rita". Funny isn't it, how they've managed to bring us together?

My best,
Kelly

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda, your poem really touched me. I share the same fear as you do with the memory of my own sister. She has now been gone for 22 years, longer than the time I got to spend with her. But I can still close my eyes and see her smile. I think of her every day. You shared vivid images and memories of your beautiful sister. She sounds wonderful! I have to believe she's smiling at you and holding you when you need it the most, because that's what I believe my sister is doing for me. :)

Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

3295 Views
54 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 6 Libraries
Added on August 22, 2014
Last Updated on August 22, 2014

Author

Frieda P
Frieda P

NJ



About
If you want to know me, read my poetry, it's all in there. I am a mother of three sons (my finest moments) a sister, a survivor and a little bit crazy. I lost my beloved sister to suicide, so you'll.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Space Space

A Chapter by Matching Socks