Hopeless

Hopeless

A Chapter by Ethan Paz
"

Only one word is on John's mind, "Hopelessness."

"

Hopeless

5:50 P.M.

            John knew what it felt like to experience physical pain, but the pain he now experienced was unheard of.  He withstood a man breaking his thumb without fainting, but this . . . it was as if a surgeon made an incision on his heart. The black clouds that rolled over his head like a scroll made no promises but gloom and more gloom, than again that was life, wasn’t it? He stood at the rim of the canyon: a mile in length of no hope, as for depth �" only darkness could be seen --  as for width �" as far as the eye could see. Hopelessness. He took a step back from the rim of the canyon as he felt a strong push of wind against his back to the canyon. If one could take a picture of this scene, the photo would reveal a hopeless man, standing near the brim of a canyon on a stormy day, just looking out and perhaps expecting something.  John stared at the ground, hoping that a ray of hope would burst forth but instead, the cold sprinkling of rain answered him.

            “COMMMMMME BACKKKKKK!!!” he cried.

            Following his cry was the ripple effect of thunder across the skies and the silent echo of his cry: “COMMMMMME BACKKKKKK.” Suddenly, he dropped to the ground with a loud THUMP on both knees and clenched his fists in a ball, hitting the ground until the dust began to seep into his lungs and make him cough. The rain only poured down harder, and it blocked any sound from being heard �" even his cough.

            “I . . . I never got to say, ‘I love you.’”

            As if the weather wasn’t bad enough, Zeus made himself known by the sudden flashes of lightning around John, but he did not flinch �" not even once. He just stood on his knees, attempting to look across the canyon despite of the rain that blinded the surrounding area.

            I just want to see you one more time. I just want to hug you one more time. I just want you.

                He just stood there on his knees, looking. Slowly, he lifted his neck and face and embraced the onslaught of rain pelting his face. Oblivious to the stingy pain, he stared at the clouds, amazed at how fast the clouds were moving across the canyon.

                Take me with you. Let me be with my love!

                He stared at the same clouds until the visibility blocked them from being seen. John than resumed his staring contest at the now muddy ground, maybe expecting a prize if he won. He did not care what time it was, he did not even care that lighting was only yards or feet away from reaching him; all he wanted was Rose. Everything that was happening �" the rain, thunder and lightning, wind, even the pain throbbing his knees �" was of no importance to him.

                Darkness settled upon the ground and John was no longer able to see his reflection from the mud puddle he was standing on. John began to rise slowly from his sore knees to his feet, while lighting flashed on the ground behind his back. He only turned his face, and  he turned it back in order to attempt to gaze across the canyon.

                Who cares if lightning strikes me.

            With that thought he placed his muddy, right hand into his pocket. He snatched a white piece of paper, which was folded into a little square. He unfolded it, and began to cry tears as he looked at the muddy, rain-stained piece of paper, which he wrote. As soon as he read the letter, he shredded the paper into tiny distinct pieces into his open left hand. He raised his left hand high in the air as if he was shaking somebody’s hand, and the wind only carried the tiny pieces of paper into the mouth of the canyon. As the pieces sank into the mouth of the canyon, the wind was carrying the little scraps in all directions. Three pieces traveled in the direction of the canyon, while the rest scattered elsewhere. The three individual pieces read,

            I

            LOVE

            YOU!

He hoped the three pieces would reach the canyon and meet his love. Impossible.

            “I LOVE YOU ROSE! DO YOU HEAR ME? I LOVE YOUUUUU!”

            Hearing nothing but the batter of rain upon the ground, he turned around walking back home �" where he was not wanted or loved. No, actually he was wanted and the soldiers just arrived in front of him. The gallows were calling his name with a ghostly calling,

            “Johnnnnnnn.”

 

 



© 2011 Ethan Paz


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Great description and powerful story. I had to read it a few times. A lot of actions and events in the chapter. I will read on to find out the why, who, what, when and how. A excellent chapter. You have my attention.
Coyote

Posted 12 Years Ago


Um....that was....interesting. I kind of get the picture. There's not lots of action, but the beginning of MY chapter is boring is even more boring than this. THIS CHAPTER IS A LOT MORE INTERESTING THAN MINE!! I'M JEALOUS!! Just kidding. But it is more interesting. Keep up the good work. xD

Posted 12 Years Ago


WHAT..IN THE WORLD THIS IS SOOOOOO SAD.... :( MISS YOU HONEY

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

270 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 16, 2011
Last Updated on June 18, 2011


Author

Ethan Paz
Ethan Paz

Iron River, MI



About
What's up I'm happy your here now reading my content. The content is organized in different sections for your convenience. Many of life's questions will be answered when you read my writings. So c.. more..

Writing
Hot Temper Hot Temper

A Poem by Ethan Paz