Hurtful Critic

Hurtful Critic

A Poem by Mari' Emeraude

Indubitably, you're a writer like me
But your world is drenched in apathy
You're plodding through with lethargy
To write words so unclear.

Introvert, you're unrehearsed
Yet so well versed
In lines that hurt
And tear apart the things that I hold dear.

My love for you
It still holds true
You're begging me to notice you
But I sense that you're a person of regret.

In stanzas and soliloquy
The daggers you choose carefully
Are aimed to say
"I'll criticize you yet".

© 2018 Mari' Emeraude


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Tim
If people don't want critiques on their poems they should say so with a prepared description in the author's notes for each poem or story. That would solve a lot of problems.

Sometimes what sounds right in the ear of the writer may not sound right to the reader. That's a chance a writer takes when he or she posts.

If someone should give an insulting review anyway, block them. They're a troll.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Well, Dear Marí,
I love to read poetry and help anyone who is receptive to my brand of critique, but regardless however congenial, polite, and well-meaning, there will always be those who simply detest anyone saying anything about their efforts, unless it is praise and pats on the head. These highly-sensitive folk should leave us a comment on their Profile page that they want no critique, as some on here have, and I honor that.

We never learn much of anything from ourselves … virtually everything we know was derived from those who've come before us and handed it down.
Sure, we may adopt it as our own, and put our own twists on it, but by far and large learning from others and being influenced by them is what got us where we are.

Still, when one comes along who is simply abusive on purpose, misusing the privilege and trust of reviewing other's earnest efforts, they should instantly be blocked from further opportunity to do so. There is no reasoning with a bully, even a well-meaning one who has no manners.

I've really enjoyed your neat mono-rhyme scheme, too, with the last line of each verse rhyming with the final line of the following verse … and, your message is well-stated, clear, and in good taste, without harshly striking back; shows great character and restraint on your part. : )

Good stuff, Lady-Poet, and great therapy, too … thanks for sharing YOU! ⁓ Richard 🍃

Posted 5 Years Ago


Us, who love to write. Need hard skin and to keep writing what we feel. Can't make all folks happy. Powerful and worthwhile words shared dear Mari.
Coyote

Posted 5 Years Ago


Marl - I heartily agree with you. Constructive criticism is one thing, and often welcome, but those that take it upon themselves to simply tear people down don't belong here.

Good going and take care - Dave

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mari' Emeraude

5 Years Ago

Thank you Dave
Dave

5 Years Ago

You are more than welcome.
i remember a line in Finding Forrester when William (Sean Connery) talks about how "some people tear apart something that they couldn't write in a lifetime."

constructive is one thing, destructive is another...and unfortunately on poetry sites the latter often happens...

well spoken here.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Nicely done. It's hard, in here, to balance the critique with the compliment. I for one, prefer honest critique, and try to offer some as well. In doing so, on occasion I have inadvertently offended people who would prefer never to receive even a minor correction or suggestion. In which case, I feel, that should be clearly stated on one's profile and in author's notes. If someone doesn't like a poem, they should just leave it alone. If there is a grammatical error, perhaps, point it out, ask questions, but don't be mean. It is a tough thing, all this ego in one location. You express yourself well.

Posted 5 Years Ago


I have frequented many poetry sites Mari. Wherever I have been, I have seen this sort of behaviour. It is regrettable but tells me that there are many unhappy or disturbed individuals out there. You have admirably chosen to rise above it and indeed from reading other reviews have seen that you have used it to your advantage. If all else fails there is always the block button, although I prefer not to use this method. Your poem will speak to every writer and hopefully to anyone else guilty of this type of behaviour.

Chris

Posted 5 Years Ago


Mari' Emeraude

5 Years Ago

Thank you Chris. I feel it's safe to say that most of us welcome constructive criticism but there's .. read more
Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Agree with you entirely. There's a great deal of difference between constructive criticism and abuse.. read more
Some people think arrogance is a reviewer's right, calling it honesty, storming in with, 'Why post if you want people to lie or your words be ignored!' An insulting comment just shows am ignorant ability to behave like an idjit. Ignore. Even Shakespeare and Chaucer used incorrect spelling and punctuation - go check!!!

Even though hurt and offended, your phrasing and more is laid finely and subtly, Mari'..

Posted 5 Years Ago


Mari' Emeraude

5 Years Ago

This must have been my subtle attempt at 'licking my wounds' that in the end worked out well for me... read more
emmajoy

5 Years Ago

Isn't it wonderful to have an advantage now and again - good for you!!!
Mari' Emeraude

5 Years Ago

Thank you for reading
well... well... well, little one... i hear you. the same kinda critics i oft. used to get a long back, undoubtedly & mostly from beautiful barbeque ladies of "critics", of course. perhaps, since most of 'em were ladies, it wasn't that hard for me to breathe 'em whole in like a smoke & puff back at their bitterness in the air like a smog of their cold wisps. however, when it came to men, well, they have neva been so befriended with my work at all. ah... even why would they be? - afterall, i & my stuffs used to make their wives blush? or giggle? or whateva when their husbands would get lazy on time. so yeah... i can get how it feels esp. when it comes to critics.

what i personally happen to know is, people who give bad critics over ur work are the ones who really ain't ur type... or may be, ur genre or work ain't their thing, but i wonder, if it so, why da f*****g hell they trouble themselves to waste their already wastee time in writing a stupid review & criticising someone's amazing work. ah... well, may be, it's cos.. every critic-reviewer ain't that sexiest like, & of course, neither can eva be in life. now... now... now.. am i right? or am i just... right, my love? ✌️🥂💐

Posted 5 Years Ago


Mari' Emeraude

5 Years Ago

Yeah! If they used all the energy writing that they did bad mouthing people they might have some goo.. read more
Adam Adams

5 Years Ago

with pleasure, my love. 💐

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

638 Views
15 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 28, 2018
Last Updated on July 28, 2018

Author

Mari' Emeraude
Mari' Emeraude

Denver, CO



About
I am a writer, journalist, and poet from Denver, Co who remarks on my fulfilling life in rich, poetic (and sometimes humorous) ways. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..