For Dorian

For Dorian

A Story by TheGreatandPowerfulGracieGrace
"

For one of my best friends. you won't understand a lot of it... but read it if you like. Placed in the Avatar the Last Airbender World

"
Also because I admit that I shipped Zutara slightly and a lot of this happened in a couple dreams I had. And obviously this takes place a few years from now.

Dorian was playing her saxophone, which her parents disapproved of. It wasn't proper for a princess of the Northern Water Tribe to play an instrument that was so loud and... rather obtrusive. They preferred she played the flute, or cello, or some princess-y instrument. Plus, her saxophone was purple. Even more obtrusive and improper. Anyway, she heard a knock on her bedroom door.(Well, her bedroom door in the large suite they were staying in at the Grand Hotel in Republic City)
"Come in!" she yelled.
Her parents walked in, smiling. Skylar, Dorian's little sister, was right behind them. She played cello and bass. Skylar lived up to almost every expectation that her parents had that Dorian didn't. Well, that Dorian's parents knew of. Skylar had been sneaking out to see one of the nobleman's sons, Zach. Dorian liked him, not in any romantic way at all. He was nice enough, kind of a trouble maker, and immature. Perfect for Skylar.
"Dorian," her father said, "We have some excellent news!"
"What?!" asked Dorian, excited.
"Since it's your 16th birthday, in 2 years you'll be engaged to the man we've betrothed you to... and we've decided it's high time you met him! Well, you already know him, but neither of you knew until today..."
"Just spit it out Dad!
"Okay, okay. You're betrothed to the young boy Zachary Waters."
Skylar's jaw dropped to the floor(not literally). 
"Um..." Dorian started. "Zack... does he know yet? I mean... It's just that... he's NOT my type, and he's immature."
Dorian's dad frowned. "Well I'm sorry you feel that way, No Zack doesn't know yet, but this has been in place for over a decade."
Skylar started to say something but decided not to quite yet.
"Can't we pretend that it never happened? Besides, I thought we did away with the whole betrothal thing!" said Dorian."
"Well... we did, a couple years after this was confirmed."
"Dad, please."
"Why?"
"Because I don't want to be betrothed and I definitely don't want to marry Zach in 3 years. Please," Dorian pleaded.
"Alright. There's another Gala tonight. Maybe you'll meet a nice boy there. Just try not to fall in love with a Fire Nation boy," her dad said with a slight chuckle, "Otherwise, will you at least consider Zachary?"
"I'll consider him, Dad," said Dorian, smiling slightly. Not. She added in her mind
Her parents smiled and left, her dad popped his head in, "But I'm serious about the fire nation boys. Just don't."
Skylar stayed.
"Skylar, I would  never even attempt to date someone I knew you were interested in."
"I know. Just... find another boy at the gala."
"I hope I do, sis."


Approximately 3 Hours Later
Dorian spun around in her dress. She loved it. It wasn't bulky, like the ones she had to wear at the North Pole, because of the cold. It was light weight and when she spun it billowed around her. Plus, it was blue, green, and purple, her favorite colors. 
Skylar helped her curl her hair. It was perfect. Their parents found them and Ryder was so cute in his little suit. They headed down to the carriage and left for the place where the Gala was to be held.
When Dorian entered the room, she stopped and blinked. It was so big. Unfamiliar foods decked every table, and they looked delicious.
A man with a badge that read 'Cabbage Corp' came up to them. 
"Ahhhh, the Northern Royal Family! Please, there's a table up by the stage ready for you."
They were led to the table, next to them were officials from the Southern Water Tribe and from Air Temple Island. Dorian couldn't believe her eyes. The AVATAR was sitting not 10 feet away from her! AVATAR KORRA! And her husband(Because this takes place quite a bit from now, in a different world, and I'm writing it, so I can do whatever I want.), Mako, the pro bending star, along with Asami, Tenzin, Pema, the airbender kids, and Bolin, with Pabu around his neck. Suddenly, Korra caught Dorian's eye and beckoned her over.
"So YOU'RE the Water Tribe Princess we've been hearing so much about!" Korra exclaimed.
"Well," Dorian responded, "Depends on what you've heard about me."
The Krew laughed. Korra hugged Dorian. Then they all had to sit down because one of the officials was tapping the microphone up on the stage, signifying for everyone to sit down.
'Welcome! All of you," he started, "We have many important people here! The Northern Water Tribe Royal Family and their officials, the Southern Water Tribe Royal Family and their officials. The Earth King, his wife, and his officials, the Fire Nation Royal Family and their officials, the Avatar, and her friends, and many more!"
Dorian looked over at the Fire Nation table. Zuko, Mai, and Azula were sitting there, along with their children, and their children's chidren. Honora, Zuko's eldest daughter, was now the Fire Lord, as Zuko retired so he could sit and drink tea with his friends. One boy, one of Azula's grandchildren, caught Dorian's eye. He was tall, blonde, and for some reason, had blue fire bender eyes. You didn't see that often, the blonde-ness. Or the blue fire bending eyes. Dorian could tell he was a fire bender, she could just sense that about people.
They ate their 7 course dinner, which was delicious and featured food from every nation. After the dessert, people were free to move around, dance, and talk. An orchestra played for a while, but soon the Piano Guys took over and an MC took over the microphone. The party was starting now. Dorian was joined by her friends, Grace(the youngest of the Airbender children), was wearing a light orange gown; Sydney(an Earthbender) was wearing a deep green skirt with a gold flowery pattern, with a light gold  blouse, Shelby(a Firebender) was wearing a blue gown(which anybody could tell she outright hated, because it was a dress), Ali(a nonbender) wore a purple gown, and Katherine(a fellow Waterbender) wore a light pink dress. They talked and danced, and well, were girls.
While they were standing near the brownie table, Grace saw a figure in the distance and without a word walked away, towards the figure.(It was a dream I had, okay? I'll tell you later...) 
Suddenly, the blonde haired blue eyed firebender Prince walked up.
"Princess Dorian," He said. Ali and Katherine giggled. They, Shelby, and Sydney left, leaving Dorian and the strange boy alone.
"Hello, you are?" Dorian responded. This boy was extremely cute, and he was making Dorian rather nervous.
"Ah, pardon my manners, I am Prince Sam, of the Fire Nation." He held out a hand and some blue flames appeared.
Dorian bended the water out of a glass on the tray of a passing waiter. She held it in a suspended swirl between her hands. "Nice to meet you, Prince Sam of the Fire Nation."
He laughed. "Yeah. I'm only a prince because my grandmother was a princess. My father's cousin is the Fire Lord, or Fire Lady rather."
After a couple more icebreakers, they eased into a conversation. They talked and laughed for hours. Dorian found herself liking this boy more and more. Dad said not to fall in love with a fire nation boy.... but that didn't mean she couldn't be friends with one. They passed Grace, sitting on a bench, talking intently with a dark haired boy with dark brown eyes who was constantly pushing his glasses back up his nose and was wearing fire nation robes.. They were smiling and laughing.
"Do you know that kid?" Dorian asked Sam.
He squinted at the boy. " I have never seen that boy before... I feel like I should though... I try to know everybody who would be invited to these things... Hey!" he said, the last part to the boy. "Do I know you?
The boy looked up, "No, you don't. I'm Aaron. Aaron McDermott. Cello player, firebender, comedian extrordinaire!" Aaron stood up and conjured several miniature fire dragons that flew around until they diminished, tapping people's noses.
"Whoa! Cool!" Sam exclaimed. "Where did you learn THAT?"
"Created it myself," said Aaron, more than a little smug.
Grace was giggling. Dorian walked over to her. "So, who is he?" Dorian asked.
"One of my 3 best friends of all time," She responded.
"Who are the other two?" Dorian asked quizzically.
"Hae-min. And you," she responded matter of factually. "Syd, Ali, Kristan, and Jonathon are my second best friends."
Dorian hugged Grace.
Sam and Aaron were talking animatedly, comparing firebending moves and such. Grace cleared her throat  The boys looked over their shoulders and remembered the girls. Aaron walked over and put his arms over Grace's shoulder. They walked away, talking about something to do with swing sets, kicking walls, superheroes, 3rd Grade, and something called 'Ssecer'.
"So..." Dorian started.
"I wish we could already be as easy together as they are," said Sam.
"Exactly," said Dorian, "We've already told each other everything about ourselves..."
"Come with me," said Sam, suddenly.
He grabbed her hand and lead her up some stairs to a secluded area, not easily seen from the main part, but they could see easily out. They could see Sydney taking a dance with Bolin, Grace and Aaron dancing, and Ali and Katherine standing and laughing.
"I love this spot. You can see everything," said Sam, as if he were reading her mind.
Suddenly, the MC tapped the microphone. "Alright! This is the last song of the night! And this is a COUPLES dance! Get with that special someone!"
Dorian leaned over the railing, watching people pair up. She turned to Sam. He was holding his hand out in an obvious princely gesture to dance.
The Piano Guys started playing 1000 Years by Christina Perri. Dorian and Sam slow danced.
It was wonderful.

© 2013 TheGreatandPowerfulGracieGrace


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

268 Views
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on June 6, 2013
Last Updated on June 6, 2013
Tags: for, dorian, fanfiction, avatar, the, last, air, bender, forbidden, love, gala, legend, of, korra