PROLOGUE

PROLOGUE

A Chapter by goddessofwriting
"

Confusion and chaos hold our dear character captive

"

Prologue




I was lying on a field of grass. Nothing seemed to make sense, as another flurry of confusion swept over me. There was nothing to acknowledge. Nothing to deny - or accept for that matter. I was alone. And alone I would forever be.

A feeling of sadness and grief took hold of my body, and as I slowly turned my head, I grasped for the last bits of the world I could cherish.

Flowers of numerous colours covered the expanse of the meadow, the last of my companions. Clouds clung onto the tips of the earth, as if it would guarantee their stay. Each wisp of rather dark cotton candy held a dreariness, as if they knew the sadness of the world. But they would be spared, as the clouds would eventually float upwards and away - whether or not into the blankness of space.

I was covered in a blanket of misery.

What was to become of me? The idea that something could still destroy and crush more, perplexed myself. Who would want to mix with me? If someone did choose to, that would be something of a miracle.

And I was dying. So a miracle really was needed, although at this moment I was in no place to accept life again.

No amount of happiness or acceptance could clear myself of my wrongs. No matter what others said or did, I would still hold a coldness in my heart, a hole that was unable to be filled.

And as I slowly began to fade, a realization hit me. Before it was too late, I hurriedly ripped some cloth from my shirt, and scribbled onto it with a pen from my Jeans’ back pocket.

Groaning with pain, I pulled myself into a sitting position. The tree I was leaning on held a hidden crevasse near the roots, and I hurriedly shoved the letter inside - making sure it was well concealed beneath twigs and weeds.

A weight seemed to be lifted off of my shoulders, and I closed my eyes. Ever so slowly, I began to fall into a deep sleep, and I was gone.


© 2017 goddessofwriting


Author's Note

goddessofwriting
What do you think?

Interesting or boring? Riveting or dreary? Full of mystery or an obvious outcome?

[Reviews are very much appreciated! They will "be returned" to you in the way of a review from myself on one of your written pieces :)]


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
D
No obvious outcome. And I'm almost 100% certain the character didn't die, since... Well it's only the beginning of the book, and we're talking about the ionly character there is. As for mysterious...On some level, yes. I'm curious about what were those big mistakes, and how on earth did they get to take a life...or at least try to.

I like your description, it's poetic, beautiful, and I just love it, but if this will be a long story, I'd try keeping it a little simpler. just my two cents.
a very good start, and I'm eager to read more...So that'd be all of my babbling ...lol. Full rating and a place in my favorites.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

goddessofwriting

7 Years Ago

Thanks! I appreciate all feedback I receive from other fellow writers. Is there any specific story/p.. read more



Reviews

From what I've read so far, I think this will make a great story. Cannot wait to read more!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

goddessofwriting

7 Years Ago

Glad you enjoyed it so far!
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
D
No obvious outcome. And I'm almost 100% certain the character didn't die, since... Well it's only the beginning of the book, and we're talking about the ionly character there is. As for mysterious...On some level, yes. I'm curious about what were those big mistakes, and how on earth did they get to take a life...or at least try to.

I like your description, it's poetic, beautiful, and I just love it, but if this will be a long story, I'd try keeping it a little simpler. just my two cents.
a very good start, and I'm eager to read more...So that'd be all of my babbling ...lol. Full rating and a place in my favorites.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

goddessofwriting

7 Years Ago

Thanks! I appreciate all feedback I receive from other fellow writers. Is there any specific story/p.. read more
I found your prologue interesting. It left me hungry for more. How can a first-person story begin in death? What comes after that? A ghost? Did the character not really die? Can't wait to find out.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

goddessofwriting

7 Years Ago

Thanks for your review! Definitely encouraged me. Looking forward to sharing the next part with you .. read more
Your piece is good in that it finishes with a question - where is this book going to lead? Your only character so far is dying so will we be led back to discover what led to this sad situation. Your question, 'What was to become of me?' is a bit puzzling because he/she then says she is dying. I'm a bit puzzled about the letter too - if it is well hidden who will discover it?
I will look forward to your next instalment. My own experience with short stories is that it is hard work making everything hang together. Getting feedback from others is invaluable as you are too close to the writing yourself.
Regards, Alan If you have some time you might like to read my short story 'The Nemesis within'

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

goddessofwriting

7 Years Ago

Thank you for your review! I do indeed appreciate each and every piece of feedback a reader gives me.. read more
Hello goddessofwriting,

As I read the prologue, it made me feel so lonely. It was interesting and did intrigue me. I am curious about your choice of wording in the last sentence of the first paragraph: And alone I would ever be. Would ever be? Ever does not seem to be the correct word here. For me, forever would be a better choice because it sounds more poetic. And alone I would forever be. And alone I would ever be. And alone I would forever be. Yes, forever sounds better here. The only other suggestion I have is to better define your paragraphs. The way you have it now it seems so crowded. Other than that, great job!

Thank you for sharing!

Kind regards,

Schatzi

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

goddessofwriting

7 Years Ago

Hello! Thank you so much for taking the time to review.

Yes, I will definitely fix t.. read more
Schatzi

7 Years Ago

Ah, the writer's curse: endless editing. :)
goddessofwriting

7 Years Ago

lol no kidding :D
It is nice it not boring it made me feel alone but I like being alone some times. It is wonderful.I like how you used some deep word instead on beingredients plain and using simple word that don't suit the mood.wonderful job.I like how some one said could sill see the world for what it is and is not. See the colors and more. Keep up the great job.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

goddessofwriting

7 Years Ago

Thanks for your review! I was not even sure what I was doing - or creating as I wrote this. And now,.. read more
The choice of words that you used to create the scenery made me feel the sense of loneliness and helplessness of the character. It made me feel a bit uncomfortable because of how colorful and lively the world around the character seemed to be, but how dark and suffocating he/she was on the inside.

I do like the sense of mystery that you portrayed by not only the letter/note that he/she writes at the end, but where he/she is and what exactly happened to him/her... why is death knocking on his/her door and why is he/she utterly alone? Those were the questions that I caught myself asking as I was reading. If that was your goal, then you achieved it through at least one reader.

Overall, I think it's a pretty good prologue full of questions that would probably make me want to keep reading to answer.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Poopewpachoo

7 Years Ago

Oh, it was my pleasure!

Honestly, if you were to leave those "full of joy" moments i.. read more
goddessofwriting

7 Years Ago

Yes, I see your motives now as I read it over. Whoops, my bad! There are so many ways to interpret j.. read more
Poopewpachoo

7 Years Ago

It's no problem at all! That's the beauty of writing: a single phrase could mean a hundred different.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

326 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 30, 2016
Last Updated on October 27, 2017
Tags: confusion, chaos, newbook, riveting, weird, thrilling, mystery, fantasy, enjoy


Author

goddessofwriting
goddessofwriting

Canada



About
Hello there! I used to be on here a lot years ago, but I was going through a lot of mental issues (still now, but back then I was very ‘Yeesh’ in how I would express that sometimes), an.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..