Friday the 13th

Friday the 13th

A Story by hardluckbaby

Disclaimer: All characters, events, whatsoever, are fictional. Blame my twisted mind for formulating thoughts and stories while I lay in bed.

 

 

I opened the curtains in my hotel window. The sun is shining at its finest, giving light to the tall buildings outside. This day couldn't be better, I thought to myself. I turned the TV on and rolled around the queen-sized bed. Jason X shows up on the screen, hunting some scared people running around and screaming. How impeccable. Today is January 13, 2012, Friday the 13th.

 

I never believed in superstitions. In fact, I've always been lucky with the number 13. And while people are making a big fuss over Fridays the 13th, I feel extra blessed on these days. This Friday, in particular, is no ordinary Friday the 13th. Today's the day I get to see her.

 

Just when my thoughts start to consume me, there was a knock on my door. I jumped up, and my heart does an extra leap on its own. Oh God, this could be her. I hurried to the door, paused, and fixed my shirt. I took a deep breath and sighed as I close my eyes and turn the knob carefully.

 

"Room service." I opened my eyes and there she was, smiling at me, teasing. "Hi," I beamed at her. I took a step back as she lunged at me, her legs on my hips and her arms embracing me. "Aw, you've gained weight."

 

She showed me around the city, the place she grew up in. She took me to her favorite restaurants and we walked around and talked to catch up on each other, until our feet couldn't walk another mile, and we went back to my hotel room.

 

We lay in bed in silence. I could hear her breathing, just inches away from me. I turned to the side and propped my head up on my elbow. She turns and faces me, and smiles, and my heart melts. I reached out to touch her face, something I've been longing to do all this time. Her eyes never left mine. There were no words, but it feels like our hearts were having a meaningful conversation. It's been so long since I've seen her face. And it occurred to me that I have not looked at her this way for a long, long time. It wasn't just her pretty face, I have come to love all of the spots and scars, even the parts she didn't. This is the face I want to see last before I go to sleep, the face I want to see first when I wake up. The face I want to touch even until wrinkles appear, and grey hair starts to grow. I leaned forward to kiss her gentle lips, and she kisses me back without hesitation, our mouths quenched from the drought they felt for years.

 

I bumped my head on the window, and jolted to consciousness. Damn silly head. Or damn silly window, I wish I hadn't woken up. Ah, dreams. Of course it was a dream. It's too good to be true. It's been five years since I last saw her. Five years since we last talked. That night, she said she loved me, but we can't be together. It took me a while to understand that. But she told me that if after five years, we still feel the same about each other, we'll meet at our favorite place. Back in her hometown, back where we first met. I don't know if she meant that, we never talked again.

 

I don't know what the hell I was thinking. Some friends say she moved, some friends say she found someone else. But here I am, taking my chances, flying towards her hometown. After all, a lot could happen in five years. Maybe she changed her mind. Maybe she missed me. Or maybe she forgot you, my subconscious adds. I sigh at the thought. Yes, a lot could happen in five years. But she never left my mind, no, there wasn't a single day that I haven't thought about her. A lot has progressed and died in five years, but my feelings never changed. Sure I've had some... side trips, but my destination remained the same.

 

I looked outside the window. It's so dark outside. It seems that the dark clouds are galloping their way towards us. The weather is with me. There is a part of me that regrets me being here, but what the heck. I've been trying to reach her

for years, to no avail, and if this one's my only chance, why would I risk it?

 

Out of nowhere, I hear a woman scream. Lightning struck one of the plane's engines, and it went dead. The plane is shaking violently and I hold on to my seat and close my eyes as the passengers start to cry and shout and curse. I try to breathe as I hear the pilot shout over the radio: "Mayday! Mayday!" We were falling nose first, and the screaming went louder. I duck and cover my head with my hands. I close my eyes and all I can see are flashes of her face, images of our first date, our first kiss, her eyes looking at me as if looking through my soul... Tears roll down my cheeks and I start to pray, and I hear the couple beside me exchange "I love you"s... Oh God, I haven't told her.

 

***

 

I opened the curtains in my bedroom window. The sun is shining at its finest, giving light to the tall buildings outside. This day couldn't be any less ordinary. Everyday is the same. But I'm glad it's my day off today.

 

Today marks my second month in New York. Away from my family, friends, away from everyone I know. I have always dreamt of being here, and now, I'm living it, finally. It gets lonely sometimes, I keep in touch online, but it isn't the same. But hey, I have to get by.

 

I got the daily paper and read it on my coffee table. I don't actually read the news, I just do some crossword. I wonder what's happening back at home. I have limited ways of knowing what's happening on the other side of the world. Hmm, today is January 13th, 2012. There's something up with this date. Perhaps it's a friend's birthday. Or is it my parent's anniversary? I'm not sure. It bothers me that I can't remember what's up with today. I turned the TV on and Jason X shows up on screen. Oh. Now I know. Well, nothing's up, really... It's just Friday the 13th.

© 2012 hardluckbaby


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

106 Views
Added on July 22, 2012
Last Updated on July 22, 2012

Author

hardluckbaby
hardluckbaby

Philippines



About
writer of poems of love and daily ramblings about life i'm a fan of wordplays. feel free to send requests and i will try to give my 2 cents (and hope it helps) about your work :) more..

Writing
Lyra Lyra

A Poem by hardluckbaby