Sarah

Sarah

A Story by hardluckbaby
"

This is based on a dream of mine.

"

It has been 5 years since my last visit to this city.  Now I am to live here.  And all I can afford is a meager room that I even have to share with someone else.


My new home is not exactly new.  It looks like one of those old ancestral houses from the Spanish colonial rule.  The wooden planks that make up the floor seem to creak with every step I take but it's strong enough to house me and some twenty other people.
"Your room is upstairs,"  The landlady had a low shaky voice and was struggling to find my room key in her drawer.
"Just a minute."  She was about to get out of her counter to help me find my way up. 
"No, it's okay, I can manage."
"No!" She exclaimed.  I almost jumped.  "No! Noel! Pick up her bags and walk her through her room."  She called at a guy who just entered the house.  He looked so lanky that I wanted to get behind him when we were going up the stairs just in case he would go stumbling down.
"So, you're from the province huh?" Noel asked.
"Yes," I was slightly offended by this guy who managed to stereotype someone he just met.  "Why, do I really look like I am?"
"No.  But you wouldn't be needing a place to stay if you were from around here, would you?" I can hear him smiling a bit.  Ugh.  Smart a*s.  Even worse.
"Well what if I ran away from home?" I intended a come-back.  He let out a low chuckle and I felt all victorious inside.
"Well, here is your room, uhm..."
"Katie." I forced out a smile.  "Thank you."

I did not expect the room to be this small.  It's just enough to enclose two beds, two tables, and two closets, and probably a five-step worth of free space in between.

"Hey, uh, need help with those?" A girl came from behind me, nudging at my bags.  "I'm Sarah, by the way.  I'm your roommate."  Her voice was so soft I could barely hear her.
"I'm Katie."  I dropped my luggage and shook her hand.
I was actually kind of glad that we were having a conversation.  At least she wasn't like some girls who think they're above everyone else and not bother to have any introduction at all.
Days passed and I still haven't found the will to get me to look for a job.  But at least my feet are getting me to places.  I'm starting to get familiar with the places and roads near the house where I stay.
Most times I would watch TV with some other guys in the lobby.  Noel wasn't as bad as I thought he was.  He has an awkward sense of humor, although he shows signs of being a gentleman.  I usually hang out with him and his friend John.  They would usually tell me spooky stories about the house.  I don't really believe them.  But when nighttime comes, it's a different story.
I'm actually thankful that I have a roommate, although I would appreciate it if she talked more.  She would either be out for the day, or reading a book.  I have no idea where she goes, she doesn't really talk a lot.  We would have occasional small talks, but it's one of those nights when I wish that she was a loud person.  She's just really shy.  I would usually cover myself with my blanket and hope that Sarah would scream first before the ghosts get to me.
The next morning I felt as though I needed to get somewhere.  The day was just too beautiful to spend inside the house.  I got the boys to accompany me and I was surprised that I dressed up faster than they did. I was waiting for them at the lobby when Sarah approached me.
"Katie, do you know how to get to Brick Street?  I'm supposed to meet my mom there."  Her voice was a little shaky, her lips pale.  I happen to know where it was, and so I gave her instructions on how to get there.  John and Noel appeared and confirmed what I just told Sarah.  I felt proud of myself for having a good sense of direction.
"I could go with you if you want to," Noel had this silly smile his face as he winked at Sarah.
"No, thanks," Sarah gave him a shy smile.  I hit Noel on his rib with my elbow.  Sarah headed outside.  I stood there and thought about her for a moment, and then hurried the guys up to head outside too.

It was dinner time when we returned home, and I was quite surprised that Sarah wasn't back yet.  When she goes out, she would usually be home in the afternoon.  She did not call me and so I assume she didn't get lost.  I hope so.

The boys kept on taunting me about creepy events that have happened inside this old house.  When it was time for bed I wasn't sure whether to leave the light on, but if I did I would see whatever monster more clearly.  It didn't help that Sarah was not here.  I decided to turn it off and cover myself with my reliable blanket.  I was about to fall asleep when I heard a sound that seemed to be coming from my closet, which is just at the end of my bed.  I did not move at all.  John's story about a girl who hung herself inside the closet swept in my mind and suddenly, I was sweating.  I shut my eyes and kept thinking, "Please God, please let me sleep.  Please."

The next morning could have been just any other morning.  I guess sometimes life could seem like it was copied from a movie.  News spread like a viral disease.  Noel told me that Sarah's mom was murdered yesterday at Brick Street.  Sarah was missing.

 

Guilt struck me like a knife to my chest.  I was the one who pointed Sarah's mom to her "final destination."  And Sarah, oh God, where could she be?  Did the murderers decide to take her somewhere else?  God knows what they've done to her!

 

John was looking at me as if accusing me silently.  Or maybe I was just paranoid.  In my head I have fingers pointing at me that it was my fault.  I was only helping somebody in need, but if I hadn't led her there, none of this would have happened!

 

I couldn't bear thinking about it.  I needed to go out and be somewhere else.  My roommate - frail and meek as she is - might be in danger.  It was nearly nightfall when I returned.  No one was in the lobby.  I headed upstairs to my room, covered myself, and went to sleep.

The strange sound woke me up again.  I froze.  I'm safe inside my blanket, I thought.  This time I heard footsteps.  It seemed so near.  I shut my eyes and held my breath.  There was an eerie humming sound, I wanted to scream but I kept my mouth shut.  The sound of footsteps was drawing farther and I was slowly starting to breathe again.  And then, the lights went on.

I jumped out of my blanket and was shocked to see Sarah standing at the doorway looking, surprisingly, unscathed.


"Sarah!"  I sat on my bed, rubbing my eyes.  I couldn't believe that Sarah is finally home.  "Oh my God, are you okay?  What have they done to you?  Where have you been?"  So many questions raced through my mind.  I was in that awkward moment where I am unsure if I should go and hug her or not.


She seemed calm.  She did not speak a word.  She had this smile on her face and it got me thinking that maybe my roommate had gone mad after the tragedy.


She walked towards the other end of the room and stared outside the window.  I felt so groggy - my head is still spinning and my eyes hurt.  I might have rubbed them a little too hard.  Without turning towards me, she muttered, "I'm okay."

 

There was something in her voice that was different.  She only spoke two words but I could tell that it was not the same weak voice she had before.  I'm her roommate.  I would know.  I started feeling guilty again about what happened to her mother.  Sixteen stab wounds.  I wonder what -

 

Before I could finish that thought in my head, she turned towards me, her eyes dark, and she had a smile on her face.  It wasn't the same usual weak smile.  This one was more like a smirk.  She then drew her hand out and revealed a filthy knife in it.  It was covered in dried blood.


"I killed my mother."

© 2011 hardluckbaby


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

148 Views
Added on August 21, 2011
Last Updated on October 20, 2011
Previous Versions

Author

hardluckbaby
hardluckbaby

Philippines



About
writer of poems of love and daily ramblings about life i'm a fan of wordplays. feel free to send requests and i will try to give my 2 cents (and hope it helps) about your work :) more..

Writing
Lyra Lyra

A Poem by hardluckbaby