Chapter 2: Born Again

Chapter 2: Born Again

A Chapter by Will B.

Pure white. Blinding lights shone down on his face, burning the retinas. Wiping his hands in front of him, he shrieks in discomfort. Ineligible hollering to the men and women in the room lacked the eloquent ability to carry his request. The doctors and nurses unbound his hands and feet, lifting him to a sitting position. With a violent shove, a nurse slid backward into an old glass medicine locker. The disoriented man on the bed began to stand but only to find his face on the floor. Wailing and kicking his legs, the man could not gain the coordination to stand on his own power. An awaiting man knelt beside the poor man and injected something in his upper arm. Within a few moments, the feral man rolled his eyes back and collapsed. Before he could fully go into the peaceful sleep of unconsciousness, the doctor knelt at his head and whispered.

          “Relax Wade. This is not your first birth. We'll take good care of you, son.” The doctor whispered.

          With the foreign words in Wade's mind, he slept.

          “Take him to the Primary, Ms. Corbin. He's going to need someone friendly when he wakes up again.” The doctor ordered.

          Margaret Corbin, aided by another nurse, picked up the large man and placed him gently into a wheelchair destined for the Primary.

          Hours passed and Wade woke in a large area with toys and colors designed to stimulate the mind. Videos, muted, surrounded the room on a dozen different screens. One video demonstrated walking. Another, speaking clearly with another person. Each video demonstrating simple tasks as if to teach someone for the first time.

          Wade looked around the room curiously when his eyes met Ms. Corbin's. She stood from her large rocking chair and placed a book on the arm, intending to return. Walking toward Wade, she lit up in an amazing smile. Without a word, just the glowing smile, she gently picked up Wade's hand and stroked the back of the young and flawless hand. Instantly Wade trusted this woman. Curiosity taking hold, Wade began to mimic the muscle contractions from Ms. Corbin's face. With a crooked smile he studied her soft face diligently.

          Ms. Corbin stood tall and carefully reached for Wade's shoulders. With a slight pulling motion, Wade followed her lead. His eyes bouncing from the monitor of a man standing to Ms. Corbin's kind eyes, he clumsily placed his youthful feet on the floor. Unsure of what sensations he was feeling with his weight resting in his legs, Wade clutched onto Ms. Corbin with an innocent diligence. After a moment, his knees stopped shaking and he supported his own weight, using Ms. Corbin only for balance.

          “Good!” Ms. Corbin applauded.

          The same crooked smile crept across Wade's face.

          “Go-o-o-d” Wade mimicked.

          “Yes, Good!” Ms. Corbin reinforced.

          Sitting Wade back down on the bed, Ms. Corbin fetched a rolling table with cognitive toys neatly arranged on top. Again, in silence, Ms. Corbin placed three shaped in front of Wade. She then placed three boxes with shape cut outs in front of him. Wade studied the strange objects in front of him and then looked back at Ms. Corbin, as if waiting instruction. She picked up a single shape and placed in in the corresponding box. Motioning toward Wade, he studied the pieces once again. Wade picked up the circular shape and slide it in the circular box.

          “Very good!” Ms. Corbin praised.

          “Good!” Wade repeated.

          With the desire to please, Wade picked up the last shape and matched it to the final box. Ms. Corbin stood and clapped her hands laughing. Wade had never been happier.

          Hours passed with similar simple classes. In just hours, Wade learned to stand on his own. Walk to the next room. Even eat with proper utensils. His mind was being filled with all essential skills needed to begin learning. With the passing of time, Wade became more agitated. Frustration grew with every new task. With the signs apparent, Ms. Corbin put Wade down for bed.  

 

 



© 2012 Will B.


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

220 Views
Added on January 28, 2012
Last Updated on January 28, 2012