The Green Basin

The Green Basin

A Chapter by Marie Anzalone

At the hospital, Jacinta writhed from the pain and tried to get away while the nurses held her down. It wasn't certain  yet what was causing her symptoms, and the doctor wanted her stomach emptied. At some point, after downing the syrup of Ipecac, Jacinta just plain passed out and went elsewhere.

 

She had a strange and exhiliarating sensation of floating, and realized she was three feet from the ceiling tiles, looking down on herself vomiting into a startlingly blue-green basin. The basin filled her awareness, the color so bright against the hospital starkness. She had seen that color before, but did not remember where.  Then she was traveling forward, away from the doctor, nurse and basin. There was a bright light slanting upwards from where the ceiling was. She sensed the light was home. She'd been homesick a lot, but couldn't remember why. She floated towards the light, smiling, knowing this was where she was supposed to be.

 

A woman, a very white woman, in a flowing white dress, and with a nimbus of radiance around her curled and tousled blond hair, stood in her way, her feet floating yet appearing to be set on something solid.

 

"Please", Jacinta said, "please, I don't think I'm where I belong. Can I come home?"

 

The woman stretched out her hand lovingly and placed it on Jacinta's shoulders. "It's not time yet", she said.

 

"But I'm so lonely", said Jacinta.

 

"I can promise you that you will not always be lonely. Someone was sent before you."

 

The bright light and woman disappeared, and Jacinta woke up after what seemed an hour, but in reality had only been two minutes in duration. She was crying. "It's so beautiful", she whispered, over and over again; until the memory faded into the place we keep our secret accumulated knowledge until it is time for it to be used again. However, it seems a certain door was irrevocably unlocked that day, for better or for worse, for the rest of her life.



© 2011 Marie Anzalone


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

242 Views
1 Review
Added on June 3, 2011
Last Updated on June 3, 2011


Author

Marie Anzalone
Marie Anzalone

Xecaracoj, Quetzaltenango, Guatemala



About
Bilingual (English and Spanish) poet, essayist, novelist, grant writer, editor, and technical writer working in Central America. "A poet's work is to name the unnameable, to point at frauds, to ta.. more..

Writing