To Love A Lie

To Love A Lie

A Poem by Heather D
"

written to Matt, after i realized how much of a lie our relationship was.

"

What's it like to love a lie, to think you know who a person is?

How does it feel to give away your heart to have it thrown away again?

To love a lie is ignorance, some say ignorance is bliss.

But bliss is often short-lived, and when the truth comes out of the mists,

Your heart is torn in two, your safety net is gone.

Everything you thought you knew turns out to be so wrong.

The way he smiles, every kiss, the promises he made,

All turn out false, his smile is gone, words of venom in it's place.

A new person stands before you, nothing left of the lie you loved.

Your chest tightens, your mind shuts down, every intake of breath is rough.

So you crawl in bed to cry, and pull the covers up over your head.

He's no longer there to wipe your tears, emptiness settles itself in your chest.

Your mind flashes to that night, 2 am in the pouring rain.

The music blaring in the driveway, dancing in his arms like you're both insane.

It's freezing cold and you're soaked to the bone, wet hair plastered to your face.

He kisses your lips through the raindrops, warmth taking rain's chilly place.

He tells you goodnight, "I love you," he says, you smile as you watch him go.

You have no idea you're in love with a lie, it hurts less not to know.

So what's it like to love a lie, I know it's beautiful while it lasts.

But lies leave quick and break your heart, and leave you longing for the past.

© 2011 Heather D


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Really emotive, and I think an experience that most people (including myself) can relate to. You expressed it so eloquently.

Posted 3 Years Ago


Awe this was sweet and obviously from the heart! Very well written. It had me hooked. Relationships are hard especially when you find out most of it was lies =/Good work on this.

Posted 13 Years Ago


yeah.. all turns out false.. I had an experience like that, too.. he said he liked me...and then, i found out he was dating my cousin... and you know what's worse? I have no proof that the thing between us really existed.. ;(

Posted 13 Years Ago


This is a beautiful poem! I truly love it! Your wording and images are great!!!!

Posted 13 Years Ago


Very good write I enjoyed the emotion. It always leaves such a void to have loved a lie, but much bigger is the one that you get when you let the truth escape.

Posted 13 Years Ago


You really cover the traumatic effects deception can have on a person and a relationship-- also the personal touch you create really adds to the impact and the over all emotional quality of the poem.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Isnt it amazing how many people we find in the end actually live in a lie and cannot ever reach reality?

Posted 13 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
OR
Nice piece
& Good job
But I kinda wished the phrases were shorter
Peace!

Posted 13 Years Ago


This is really good, the ignorance is bliss thing was perfect!

Posted 13 Years Ago


I so-loved this one. Truthful in many ways. Well done

Posted 13 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

391 Views
14 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 3, 2010
Last Updated on February 7, 2011


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


G G

A Poem by Lisasview