1943 - Three

1943 - Three

A Chapter by emily

1943

It was a long time before anyone said anything coherent. The inexplicable laughter died and was followed by an awkward silence as the four boys stood there in the deserted street. As usual, it was Hersch who spoke first.

            “That was too close,” he said, emotionless. He pointed to Jim and Gabe. “You two have to get out of here, at least out of sight, unless you want to get us all killed.”

            Erich nodded. “He’s right.” All three looked at him wide-eyed, shocked that he would side with Hersch. “Abrahamson, is there somewhere you can take them? Where we can meet?”

            Hersch’s eyes hardened. “Nowhere I can show you.”

            They had no reason to trust him. He was a German. He was the one who could give them away at any moment. But he wouldn’t. He had made his decision the moment he pushed Gabe out of the way. He couldn’t turn them in. Not yet.

            Erich felt his fists tighten, straining to hold in his anger. “Don’t push me, Abrahamson.”

            Hersch masked the familiar rush of fear that came with facing down Erich. “If you’re so concerned about them, take them with you,” he said through gritted teeth. “I’m the only one who can’t get out of here. I’m…” Hersch’s hand instinctively moved to the golden star on his jacket, but he didn’t finish the sentence.

            “I don’t think so,” Erich said coldly. “I can’t just walk out of here with two other guys no one else has ever seen before. Just let them stay with you and we’ll figure the rest out later.”

            Hersch set his jaw and shook his head. “I’m sure as hell not just going to show you around. You’ll never be able to catch me again, and if you leave them with me, you won’t find them either. I’ll have them out of here by dawn.”

 

            “Who says you can get us out?” Jim asked angrily. “I’m not going anywhere with him,” he cocked his head towards Erich. “I’m staying right here.”

            “Then why don’t we split up?” Gabe said meekly. “Hersch and Jim, if you’ve got your own problems go work on them, but I’m not staying here. It will be easier for Erich to get just one person out, and tomorrow we can all meet on neutral ground.”

            Everyone was so surprised that Gabe had the courage to say anything at all that it took them a second to think the plan over. “So, me and Jim, and you and Erich?” Hersch asked after minute, pointing out the pairs.

            Gabe smiled in spite of himself. “Shocking, isn’t it?” The joke was pathetic, but it broke the tension just enough to make them all calm down for a second.

            It took Erich the longest to decide. He didn’t want to go anywhere alone with Gabe, but he wasn’t sure how much worse any of his other options would be. Finally, he shook his head and groaned, defeated.

            “Ach, s**t. Fine,” Erich grabbed Gabe by the shoulder and dropped his hat on his head. “Wear this and keep your damn head down,” he ordered as he turned away, dragging Gabe behind him.

            Jim and Hersch were left alone in the deserted, and now completely dark, street. Hersch sighed and turned back towards the building. “All right, come on,” he said to Jim. “I’ll find you a place to stay the night.”

            “Hersch,” the sound of his own name was so serious and hard that he could hardly believe it came out of Jim’s mouth. Hersch had to turn. Jim was rooted in place, his face dark and sober. “Let me see her.”

 



© 2011 emily


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

WHO IS THIS HER!!!!
.novelists.elite.info.
.display. .ana.016.
.memberID. 016
.division. II
.division.leader. Shane
.name. Arianna
.username. nerdypenguin2427
.novels. Sanctuary, Right Side Up
.status. Reader, Early Writer, Role Model
.join date. 04-03-2011

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

275 Views
1 Review
Added on March 31, 2011
Last Updated on March 31, 2011


Author

emily
emily

MN



About
Hello all! My name is Emily, I'm 20, I am definitely not at home in this tiny MN town, and soon I will be the most famous author my generation. I go to Barnes and Noble to see where my book will sit .. more..

Writing
Jim - One (Opener) Jim - One (Opener)

A Chapter by emily