Mirror, mirror

Mirror, mirror

A Poem by hoyt
"

This was the first poem I wrote a little over a year ago at 45. I felt it and it is reflective of what many people may feel.

"

Mirror, mirror, outside in
    I stand before you  and I gaze within.
The image staring back, quite sure it’s me,
    And it’s only there when I’m here to see.
For when I walk away, the me that’s now here,
    Is the one others see,  not the one in the mirror.
The one others know the one they want me to be.
    The one some expect! Quite sure it’s not me.
So I go to the mirror and inside I cry out.
    “what  magic is there to turn you inside out?”
I wonder what if this image inside
      Were free out here no longer to hide.
This image inside the one only I see,
      Inside I know is the one truly free.
It bears dreams that to me are forsaken.
     Some that just faded, and others that were taken
Though far from this image I can still touch it’s face
     With a longing desire that it take my place.
With it now outside, while this me fades within,
      That it seizes my life, that my dreams live again.
Yes!, I am able, in my mind with a whispered shout,
     To free this image  when I say..

"turn mirror, mirror,...inside out!"
 

© 2022 hoyt


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is great writing with flow and creativity bursting out of it.. it is all perfect. I like the way each stanza flows and for someone finding writing later in life.. you certainly have a gift.. If I could tell you how many times I have looked into the mirror to try to see what others see.. my image certainly is always different then what they truly think! thank you for sharing!!! =)

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Amazing write here
Mirrors can tell lies
Mirrors can tell the truth too
I these days try not to see my reflection too often lol
Well done 👍

Posted 1 Year Ago


I have thought about the fact that we never see our selves, ever, the way another will. We only see a reflection.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Some very deep philosophical self reflection here... funny when we look in the mirror we can see someone different then hat others see, maybe cause we see ourselves how h=we hope others see us. Some very creative deep thinking.

Posted 14 Years Ago


This was a wonderful read. It reminded me of a poem entitled The Double Life by Don Blanding. It's not the same premise but I encourage you to look up the Blanding poem on the net and read it. You will not be sorry. And I think you will see my meaning in the comparison. This is truly a gem of a poem, very much enjoyed.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Awesome! I think writing is a way to turn us all inside out and express who we are within to the others outside our realm. I know that with the words above I am getting to see a glimpse of the truth inside. Great job!

Posted 14 Years Ago


Lynne was right when she said that this piece makes you stop and think... Im still thinking! Great work!

Posted 14 Years Ago


Ah, yes I see..
The reflection staring back at us is not a "true" reflection of us. Although we tend to think it is. i love the way you worded this "morror, mirror, inside out". Yes, that is the true reflection. this is a wonderful write and makes one take pause and think.. Thank you for sharing this with us.
Lynne

Posted 14 Years Ago


This is great writing with flow and creativity bursting out of it.. it is all perfect. I like the way each stanza flows and for someone finding writing later in life.. you certainly have a gift.. If I could tell you how many times I have looked into the mirror to try to see what others see.. my image certainly is always different then what they truly think! thank you for sharing!!! =)

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Very nicely penned, great write.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

425 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 4, 2009
Last Updated on August 25, 2022

Author

hoyt
hoyt

Rockledge, FL



About
HI!... :-) ".."Look in thy heart and write" is good counsel for poets; but when a poet looks in his heart he finds many things there besides the actual. That is why, and how, he is a poet." ...C.S... more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..