TRAPPED

TRAPPED

A Chapter by hcarson
"

A MAN, LOCKED IN HIS OWN BODY SINCE THE DETERIORATION OF HIS ILLNESS MOTORNEURONES DISEASE, OFFERED AN EXTREMELY EXPERIMENTAL DRUG....

"
TRAPPED
Life trapped inside your own body really isn't much fun. In fact, it's pretty damn miserable and frustrating. scary at times too, well scary a lot actually but you kind of get used to it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not after sympathy. Just saying it as it  is.
 The nights are the worst, when you know you have all those hours ahead of you with nobody there if you need help. Sure I have a special alarm but it isn't quite the same. Especially if it's just that I can't sleep, would love the t.v. on to pass the time, have some background noise to break up the monotony..'Hey, thanks for coming all this way Buddy..emergency?...sure...can you turn sky sports on..thanks Buddy.'...yea sure to go down real well that!
Another thing is what happens if a spider crawls into my bed? Sure, I'm a man and not meant to be worried by itty bitty spiders but most men would have a hissy fit waking up to a house spider making camp on his face and not able to brush it off..regardless what we tell you otherwise. 
You see, my mind functions just as well as yours, as does my hearing and my taste buds..yep, I even speak..but my body from those points down have simply  shut down and refused to work anymore. These little pesky neurones in my brain saw to that. Not  long after a bit of a punch up after a night out, I found out I had Motorneurones disease, possibly brought on by the fight. And to think I could still be enjoying food I love without having it liquidised, nights out with the boys, nights in with my then girlfriend, who decided not long after my diagnosis that she suddenly needed to split up for reasons..nothing to do with me..really Caroline..we were discussing having kids just before the diagnosis..what a b***h. Guess I can't blame her though, not now I've seen exactly what I've become. A talking head with a night bag..go me!
I simply look forward to my one and only true friend coming to get me now. Death will be most welcome.  one to five years I was given and I'm on year three with my arms open wide. Sick of staring at the same stains on my ceiling, eating crappy liquidised food, hoping not to choke. Hey, hoping not to choke? Maybe there's a bit more fight for life left in me yet. Now that's an unexpected revelation!
                                       ***************************
"One last roll Blake and you're good to go!" Boomed my carer Gloria. With no help from me or another carer, she skillfully manuevered me into my night time position. There should have been two careworker's at all my calls but Gloria saw most of them off with her stern and quick to berate manner. At no point in any point of my life would I have dared take this lady on. One glare from her round, usually cherry red face, was enough to halt an army of men, let alone 5ft 8 in me! 
Her arms were as thick as my waist, white uniform stretched taut over a chest as big as...well me!
She took no messin' that's for sure.
she was also the kindest person I had ever met. With her crazy red hair skillyfully kept under control with about a zillion clips, her 'no-nonsense' voice, she terrified most new carer's but it was only because she cared so much about people like me. She wanted the best care possible delivered and if she thought another cargiver wasn't giving it she would simply tell them to get out the way, and do as they should already have done, and learn the damn call! She was quick and efficient despite her heavy size and I held her in my utmost respect.
Unlike most people she treated me like a man, while other's either cooed over me like some sort of fool or totally ignored me as they chatted back and fore over me like I was some sort of table separating them in a cafe, Gloria actually talked to me..about man things! It made me feel normal, just for that moment, but that moment meant everything.
"Guess you're watching the sports tonight!" This wasn't a question as she was already turning sky sports on, my favourite channel. The t..v. was on a timer and would switch off in a few hours which meant until then I could get lost in the world of Footie, Cricket..whatever, and forget my life had little quality and a very short time span.


© 2016 hcarson


Author's Note

hcarson
something totally different for me to attempt. Will add new chapterrs as and when ..all comments and critiscisms welcome :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

first of all i loved how this one began, it has given me knowledge to understand the situation of the speaker and how he has been living his life... very well described and surely you have captured my mind, this story(book) is already hitting my mind and im eager to know what is going to happen next... there are very few spelling mistakes which i would call printing mistakes and im sure you will fix them once you find time.... i will keep an eye on your page for the next chapter....

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Inject Positivity

8 Years Ago

well i think you can really work on it, i see possibilities in this one, as you have left the reader.. read more
hcarson

8 Years Ago

i will do, :)
Inject Positivity

8 Years Ago

i will keep an eye on it...



Reviews

An intelligent man trapped in a useless body and he takes it well, no self pity just detached observation. But there is life in him and the story. It's very soothing in the sense he has somebody good to care for him but there is a sadness because he has very less time left. I look forward to reading more about this interesting person, how his life was before this affliction, what led him to make mistakes which made him an invalid etc. Great going!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

hcarson

8 Years Ago

thank you, i used to care for a few people trapped in this was and most were still so happy and full.. read more
You really drawled me in on this one the description of the mans situation was spot on id like to see what happens next if your doing more chapters😀😊

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

hcarson

8 Years Ago

thank you, im glad you enjoyed it, i will be doing more chapters thank you so much for your positive.. read more
This appears to be a good beginning to an interesting tale and journey within the realm of what it must be like to suffer from such an affliction ... I look forward to reading more ...

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

hcarson

8 Years Ago

Thank you Flynn, i will be adding more soon, i have been doing it with no forethought at what I'm ac.. read more
Marvin Thomas Cox-Flynn's Dark Tales & More Store

8 Years Ago

I enjoyed reading your heart penned to page ...
I see where this is going. I think you could add more to this but since its a chapter I will see what you hold for the other one. But its going good.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

hcarson

8 Years Ago

i kind of have an idea but to be honest i mainly wrote it without much thought as i have a new keybo.. read more
Sir Drift & Mr. Pulse

8 Years Ago

oh I see thats a tendency haha well have fun with it and if something pops into my head ill send you.. read more
hcarson

8 Years Ago

thank you sir drift :)
first of all i loved how this one began, it has given me knowledge to understand the situation of the speaker and how he has been living his life... very well described and surely you have captured my mind, this story(book) is already hitting my mind and im eager to know what is going to happen next... there are very few spelling mistakes which i would call printing mistakes and im sure you will fix them once you find time.... i will keep an eye on your page for the next chapter....

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Inject Positivity

8 Years Ago

well i think you can really work on it, i see possibilities in this one, as you have left the reader.. read more
hcarson

8 Years Ago

i will do, :)
Inject Positivity

8 Years Ago

i will keep an eye on it...
THE TOP CHAPTER MESSED UP SO WHERE IT SAYS NEXT CHAPTER IS WHERE THE FIRST CHAPTER IS,,SOOO CRAP WITH TECHNOLOGY...

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

309 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 7, 2016
Last Updated on March 8, 2016


Author

hcarson
hcarson

cardiff, barry, United Kingdom



About
I have an interest in writing short stories and poetry in some shape or form apparently since coming here! Being a mother of five means I have no end of inspiration! I'm an animal lover and have an Am.. more..

Writing
WARMTH WARMTH

A Poem by hcarson


the sea the sea

A Poem by hcarson



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


CRUSSOE CRUSSOE

A Poem by hcarson