a brief, yet memorable affair.

a brief, yet memorable affair.

A Poem by Boyd Johnson
"

an older one...fixed...kind of...that i found while running through letters.

"

 

liz told me jesus had plans for the both of us

then we shared a pint of whiskey

and had our ashes holied

in her best friends guest room

 

liz told me we thought differently

becuase she was older than i was

then we split a 6pack of high life

and conjugated the verb

in the passenger seat

of her 91' accord.

 

liz told me she was sick of me

getting so very drunk all the time

so we laid in the yard and got high

and stared at the sky

for hours.

 

liz told me it was time to move along

that jesus had plans for the both of us

she told me i should read the bible

if I didn’t know what to look for.

she told me god opens a window when he closes a door.

 

All I could think was,

 

what kind of deity sneaks in through the f*****g window?

© 2008 Boyd Johnson


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

"Conjugated the verb" is a new euphemism on me....but it's a fine one. I'm generally not big on pieces with a punchline-y ending, but the ending here is so fitting that I didn't find it problematic at all. As Kara notes, the pace and the tone of the piece are all superb; it's deceptively breezy, and it's a fine, fine piece of writing.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Nice punch-line. Relationships today are not what they were 50 years ago. Girls aint takin s**t like they used too. Yer girl recognized what she considered a flaw in you and called you on it. Nothin to do but take her advice and follow God out the window. She'll remember her foolishness, but such is the state of relationships in the modern world. Love is mostly a scant memory or finds those who diligently seek it. Enjoy the present until love seeks you out. This must be the way courtship is conducted today. Any other way seems to be a Red Herring.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

"Conjugated the verb" is a new euphemism on me....but it's a fine one. I'm generally not big on pieces with a punchline-y ending, but the ending here is so fitting that I didn't find it problematic at all. As Kara notes, the pace and the tone of the piece are all superb; it's deceptively breezy, and it's a fine, fine piece of writing.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

there were a few misspellings - deity, whiskey, should

i loved this piece. it's really great. the flow of it was wonderful, and the "real" authentic, live feeling of it - created an entire atmosphere which was really engrossing. i love it.

into favorites :)



Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

182 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on June 19, 2008
Last Updated on June 19, 2008

Author

Boyd Johnson
Boyd Johnson

the great and oft forgotten north of nyc. poughkeepsie., NY



About
a freak. an outlaw. a hot piece. -j.m. a hometown boy who loves the hudson, his drink, and his hat. hiding under the train tracks, with a bottle of irish moonshine, toasting to it slipping thro.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Please Stop Please Stop

A Poem by Shadow