Chapter Two

Chapter Two

A Chapter by Frankie Nguyen

The setting sun illuminated New York City as I made my way back to where I was staying. Turns out it looked more like a run-down warehouse than an apartment complex. At least it was better than the previous shelters I had stayed in. I was staying with an old friend of mine and to be completely honest I really didn’t want to go back, but it had to be my home for now. Cars sped by me honking horns and yelling at other drivers on their way to who knows where. As I made my way back to the apartment I walked by a coffee shop. Peering inside I noticed Coraline sitting at a table by the window. I smiled walking over tapping on the glass. She jumped and I had to try my best not to laugh. She smiled though, after seeing that it was me. She motioned for me to come inside, but I shook my head. A guy looking like me doesn’t really belong in a place like that. She frowned and walked out the door to meet me. “Why didn’t you come inside?” she asked me with a curious look. “Well, a guy like me.” I gestured to myself, “does not belong in a place like that.” I said point to the very fancy coffee shop. She laughed and pointed at me. “You think you don’t belong in there? Seriously?” she glowed when she laughed and I couldn’t help, but laugh along with her. “Yes, a guy like me in there would be terrible for business.” I smiled looking down the road towards my apartment. “But hey I better be going” I didn’t want to leave, but it was getting dark. “It’s getting dark and I still got some stuff I need to do.” She frowned and after little while looked up at me. “I can give you a ride if you’d like?” she pointed behind me. “That’s my car and I wouldn’t mind taking you.” I turned around to see a 2011 Silver Camaro SS. “Wow,” was all I could manage to get out of my mouth. She chuckled obviously seeing my stunned look. “Birthday present.” she said walking to the driver side. She hopped in and started the Camaro, man it sounded good, she rolled down the passenger side window and stared out at me. “Well are you coming or not?” she asked me. “Oh,” I said. “Sorry I spaced out staring at your car.” She laughed again and I hopped into the passenger’s side. Man, her car looked great on the outside and on the inside. It was all leather seats with an amazing stereo system. As she pulled away from the curb and out onto New York’s traffic she asked, “So, where do you live?” I hadn’t actually thought about telling her where I lived, but it would probably be a nice thing to tell her.  “Umm, sorry, just got straight three blocks then turn right head down two blocks and it’s the apartment complex on the corner.” She nodded and continued to drive. I was surprised at how good the traffic was. It wasn’t bad at all, which is amazing, this being New York City and all.

It took only about ten minutes to get to my apartment. “Well we’re here.” she said looking out at the apartments. “Wow, you live here?” she asked me. I looked up at the run-down apartment complex and shrugged. “It’s all I can afford for now. I’m hoping to move to a better one soon.” I opened the door getting out and started to head inside. “I’m sorry I didn’t mean to offend you or anything.” I heard her say. “Don’t worry about it. I’ll see you tomorrow.” I said opening the door and headed inside.

**

“Coraline you’re so stupid.” I muttered to myself. How could I have said that? I could have really offended him, even though he said I didn’t. I need to learn to watch what I say. Jesse was cute and I mean really cute. I’ve never really been in a relationship before so the fact that I even think he’s cute is new to me. It’s foreign and weird, but I guess that’s what I get. I’m actually crushing on him. Oh lord, I always get hurt when I start to crush, but oh well I think I can take it. I mean sure I’ve had a crush before I’m not a hermit or anything, but I’ve never felt like this before. I’ve never felt this certain feeling, but I like it. I started to drive home when I remembered I didn’t even have his number or know his last name. I made a quick U-turn, getting honked at in the process, and headed back to his apartment. I parked in the street and ran up the steps. I looked inside the window, seeing nobody, I went inside. It was only a three story apartment, not big by New York standards, but it looked like it would have been nice looking back when it was first built. I heard footsteps echoing through the building, probably the stairs, so I called out his name. “Jesse? Is that you?” the footsteps stopped and a man peered over the railing. “No, but he’d my roommate? Why do you want to know?” This guy seemed rather rude and mean honestly so I don’t know why I just didn’t turn and leave the moment he opened his mouth. “I’m a friend of his.” I said walking up the steps. “Oh, well then follow me.” I did and before I knew it we were on the third floor of the apartment and at the door. “Come on in.” the guy said walking inside. The room was filthy. There were clothes thrown everywhere and it looked like no one had bothered to clean the place in who knows how long. “Umm thanks.” I said quietly trying not to trip over whatever was on the floor. “Jesse! Man there’s some blondie here to see you.” This guy really needed an attitude check and maybe a shower or two. “What?” I heard Jesse’s voice. He walked out of a room, I’m guessing his room, and started at me. “Oh, Coraline what are you doing here?” he asked obviously quite confused on the current situation. I couldn’t take my eyes off of him, he didn’t have a shirt on, and needless to say he looked amazing. “I…I…” I can’t believe I was stuttering. Damn Coraline find your words. “..I…ummm…realized I didn’t have your phone number or anything. I don’t even know you’re last name.” I felt like a complete idiot saying this to him and with his roommate here to. I felt my face get hot. “Well, I actually do have a cell phone surprising enough, but I can’t help you on the last name thing. My friends call me Chaz. It’s sort of a middle name that they gave me.” He smiled. He doesn’t remember his last name? How could someone not remember their last name?

Sensing my confusion he asked me to step outside with him. He walked me out back to my car. “I don’t remember my last name because, I’m a runaway and I’ve been on my own since I was ten years old. Surviving was all I could think of and during that time I forgot my last name.” he said it bluntly and without emotion. I felt sorry for him, but doubted he wanted my sympathy. “Oh, I didn’t know.” I said not knowing what else I could say. “Nobody knows and I’d like to keep it that way.” I nodded. “Well then, what’s your number?” I asked him doing my very best to change the subject. I pulled out my phone waiting for the number. “Here.” he said grabbing my phone. After a minute or two he handed it back. “There you now have my number.” he turned to go back inside. “Wait.” I said before thinking. Why the hell did I tell him to wait? Damn Caroline. “Yes?” he asked turning around. “Umm…I’ll see you tomorrow.” I said climbing in my car and driving off. I must have looked so stupid. I could hit myself for being so stupid. Guess that’s what happens when I like someone. He just has such a great effect on me and I only just met him.



© 2012 Frankie Nguyen


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

93 Views
Added on May 10, 2012
Last Updated on May 10, 2012





Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5