Were Death To Come

Were Death To Come

A Poem by icelandicblue

Were Death to come and meet me
I would put my hands in his,
and leave out all my questions-
for what was no longer is.

Were Death to come and meet me
I might caress his face,
and wonder if he were lonely
not owning time or place.

Were Death to come and meet me
I would heave a heavy sigh,
for no matter what life's misery
I'm not sure I want to die.

Were Death to come and meet me
I would not say his name
but pray that his arrival
would be wrought with little pain

But Death has come to meet me
he awaits my final kiss,
now I promise, I promise,
I promise, not to miss.

© 2013 icelandicblue


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

wow i am so glad this found its way back to the front page....i missed this the fisrt time.

this reminds me so much of Emily Dickinson's "because i could not stop for death"

making death out to be more of a gentleman caller than the grim reaper...more like a date...

and you wrote such a beautiful allegory here...

to touch his face, caress, kiss...ah yes.
in sensual terms...speaking of the meeting.

Posted 9 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I'm not sure Ill 'review' this well... but ill try.
Writing about death is such a tricky business, since none of us have done it... others do it, and we reflect, in life, as to what we feel about loss... that being said, I think you muse in a very sensitive way, and my guess, is that death, would be honored.
I'm struck by the concern for deaths lonely demeanor. And underneath... that loneliness, for me, or to me, is once again, something left behind for the living to deal with.
So in the end... after reading this piece, it leaves me with this profound thought- 'death' is inside us... and when someone dies, it is called forth into existence, and it is never the one who does the dying, that feels it the way the living do. Im not sure if what i say makes since. A good read. Heavy, and good. I will think more now about this topic, as is my nature. And any writing that gets my body and mind to move... is good. Thank you. Ill work into your more current writing as time permits. But i like to start at the beginning of peoples pages.

Posted 10 Years Ago


icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

You are the second person who has read my last poem first. You are right death is for the living to .. read more
Icelandicblue...this is where it began...I won't say much for now...You started with typical rhyming 2 and fourth line...Its already an advance style...then you went free verse...awesome...I usually check writers with their first posted piece..sort of their birthplace... Just like General Douglas MacArthur said, " I shall return " ...for more...

Posted 10 Years Ago


icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

Thank you, I look forward to your return. ; )
Okay, here goes my new 'review plan'

Opening Comments
Wow, this is great. I loved it, you have so many great points that I wish I would have thought of, hahaa.

Themes
Death. It's a hard thing to deal with, especially when it's a loved one. It's quite a dark poem but at the same time light, if you know what I mean....?

Moods
It's sad. I know it was terribly upsetting for me when I lost my Grandpa 3 years ago in January. You really captured the emotion.
"and wonder if he were lonely" What a line! That is an excellent point! Is it lonely? Maybe it is or maybe it isn't, I guess in movies they interpret it in different ways.

Grammar and Spelling
This was such a painful read for me, in my head it plays a little movie of when I got told my Grandpa died, it was a terrible thing to happen, and how he was kept on monitors so my Dad and Aunty could say goodbye. :( Hard times.

Closing Comments
This really touched me, it was such an emotional read for me, I enjoyed it. Well done.

:D I think this makes sense, lol!

Posted 10 Years Ago


s y e

10 Years Ago

I learn from the best ;-) I know the feeling, I still to this day miss my Grandpa terribly and somet.. read more
icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

We had a star named after my dad. I know he would have thought that that was the most ridiculous was.. read more
s y e

10 Years Ago

Yes exactly, I think it helps too....
Even though this is about death, it's more a tribute to life, looking at your truth straight in the eye with acceptance and dealing with it, very profound read blue, you know how affecting this is, I have many of these thoughts as such on a regular basis wondering how she really met her end.

Posted 11 Years Ago


icelandicblue

11 Years Ago

Thanks Frieda,

I don't obsess about death but it does creep into my thoughts. I often .. read more
Frieda P

11 Years Ago

I think it has a lot to do with circumstances and whether or not you're ready to let go. My pleasur.. read more
I love the power and truth in this. we all know that death is inevitable, and yet its an unknown that we fear. How could we not? This is a goregous write up. I love the symmetry and flow between each stanza and particularly the close. Promise not to miss...miss what? Miss death's kiss? Miss this life? Oh the possabilities....

Posted 11 Years Ago


icelandicblue

11 Years Ago

Thanks so much Kristen.
Many of us hope for a quick exit from this world without suffering, but it is not always so.
How many of us are truly ready for the time to come? If we understand that so much awaits us on the other side, then it is an easier "event" for us. When we give the final kiss, as you mention, we may not miss it. It is merely our time!
A gripping write my friend!!

Posted 11 Years Ago


icelandicblue

11 Years Ago

Hi Sheila,

How nice to see you. Thanks so much for your review and for your thoughts.
I always enjoy reading personifications of death. I love this piece. Thank you for sharing it.

Posted 11 Years Ago


icelandicblue

11 Years Ago

Hello! Thanks so much for stopping in.
This is astonishingly beautiful. I don't intend to get religious in my reviews to avoid conflict, but the man you speak of here leads me to two conclusions: one being God or Jesus Christ himself; or possibly a close lover? Either way, it evokes a tender love that pulls me, your readers, heavily within. This is professional work. You should be proud.

--Christoph

Posted 11 Years Ago


icelandicblue

11 Years Ago

I am honored and humbled by such a review. Death is a universal experience yet we can't share it so .. read more
Blue, your creative mind was in high gear for this one. I'm sure we all think of death from time to time, but putting it or him or her in this perspective is amazing. Very nice my friend.

Posted 11 Years Ago


icelandicblue

11 Years Ago

Thanks Jack-just trying something different.
Jack...

11 Years Ago

You did a great job with it.
icelandicblue

11 Years Ago

You are always so encouraging. Thank you.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1018 Views
35 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 4 Libraries
Added on December 8, 2012
Last Updated on May 11, 2013
Tags: death, life, mortality

Author

icelandicblue
icelandicblue

Boston



About
I do not accept any new friend requests unless we have read and commented on each others poetry. No exceptions. I have enough homework as it is. I expect reciprocity in our exchanges. Read my work and.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Imagine Imagine

A Poem by Chris Micha