Alpha Babe

Alpha Babe

A Poem by icelandicblue

His courage circles the drain,
as he watches her walk by-
surrounded by others who,
only inhibit his vision.

She is the scintillating goddess,
currently reigning in his small world.
She is the reflection that the others long for,
hoping that mere proximity would allow her visage to
jump mirrors.

He watches with his back against a cold brick wall,
attempting a cavalier pose that looks staged.
He is all long limbs and sharp angles,
making him look like a discarded marionette.

She is refined and poised from a life of adulation,
and feeds off his hunger without giving him a glance.
She is the alpha babe in this primordial high school pool,
and no lifeguard can rescue him from his current social standing.

© 2013 icelandicblue


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

AS one who went through High School as a long gangly wall flower who tried to wear a mask I have to say you nailed it! An excellent read. thank you so much for sharing this.

Posted 10 Years Ago


icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

Thanks so much Steve.
it is ambiguity in sweet isolation


Posted 10 Years Ago


poetry-kiddo alienbaba

10 Years Ago

ahaha....i am your favorite insane incense
icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

That you are my friend.
poetry-kiddo alienbaba

10 Years Ago

o-o
I think that you picked a very good topic to center a poem around.You definitely know how to give emotions image. In that light I was very impressed. It was how you structured your stanzas that threw me off a little. I tended to stop and start with each line even though the sentences took up multiple lines. I also didn't think saying social standing was needed. You provided excellent imagery that showed that.

Posted 10 Years Ago


icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

Thanks a lot for your thoughts and feedback.
Beautifully captured emotions of all the protaganists in this piece. The male and females points of view, as well as those who want and wish. Isn't it a pity though, that as you say, the posturing replaces the contact. Maybe if we were all a bit more free within ourselves, we wouldn't look like discarded manneuins so much :-)


Posted 10 Years Ago


icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

So true Just Lorry. Thank you for such a thoughtful comment.
Oh! Jump mirrors, loved that line. This was a painfully accurate description of what many teenagers suffer through. (And many adults, too..) Made me think of a poem my grandmother made me memorize as a child, those limbs and angles were a theme there, too. Loved it.

Posted 10 Years Ago


icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

Thanks shythatway, I appreciate your thoughts.
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Pax
never got a chance to read this but now i do ~ glad i put it in y library... and oh those times... well i had a weird high school, never cared too much on what's around me, who's who ~ but i like this poem for it gives me the memories of my friends escapades...
wonderful work!
~100

Posted 10 Years Ago


icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much Pax. I truly appreciate it.
Pax

10 Years Ago

sorry if i taken so long to review back... but i never forget...
your truly welcome ~
100/100 favorited too. You dived into a world we can all relate too. No matter what social status you are...we have all had that one person that we felt unworthy of...or we felt too superior to test the stereotype and boundaries. Awesome work. Bravo!

Posted 10 Years Ago


icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much!! I am so happy that you liked this poem. ; )
OMG! Ha. I have to smile. In my day it was the valley girl phase.
The guys don't stand a chance...
Of course, those "alpha babes" often end up like the quarterback. No reality check to prepare them for success IRL.
Loved the poem ice!

Posted 10 Years Ago


icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much...It is so true, popularity is no guarantee of success.
My 17 year old son just read this piece. He walked away shyly smiling, wistfully saying, "I get this, I totally get this." You accomplished what you set out to do here, icelandicblue.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Angi

10 Years Ago

Thank you for writing it.
Angi

10 Years Ago

I just saw this pop up on my feed. Still one of my favorites, Icelandicblue! Angi~
icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

Thanks Angi. ; )
I know that feeling of seeing a woman that I want to approach but find her well out of my league... A veery well versed poem from beginning to end.

Posted 10 Years Ago


icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

Appreciate the read and the comment. Have a wonderful day.

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

645 Views
21 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on May 17, 2013
Last Updated on May 17, 2013

Author

icelandicblue
icelandicblue

Boston



About
I do not accept any new friend requests unless we have read and commented on each others poetry. No exceptions. I have enough homework as it is. I expect reciprocity in our exchanges. Read my work and.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..