Why I Hate The Happiest Place On Earth

Why I Hate The Happiest Place On Earth

A Poem by icelandicblue

I despise the happiest place on earth
fake smiles upon faces of plastic mirth.
The lines are long and the sun beats down
while people stroll through Disney town.

It is like a mecca for some each year
leaving their towns grinning ear to ear.
To see the mouse or perhaps a queen
along the streets so wide and clean.

The children of course love it all
until they're tired and begin to bawl.
But mom and dad have paid for a day
so then a whole day they shall stay.

And those whose children are now grown
to different adventures they have flown.
Their parents still come back to this world
never realizing experiences unfurled.

For culture they traipse off to Epcot
to see the world sans passport.
They speak savoir faire so wittily
It's just like they're in Paris or Italy.

So I have done my American duty
my kids had pics with Sleeping Beauty.
Now there's a real world to discover
and I've got a lot of new ground to cover.

© 2014 icelandicblue


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

It is the same with every American parent, their children beg them to take them to Disney. It is that symbolic moment when they become interested in the world, to realize they are not children any more. This happy place holds no interest for them anymore, but the parents return for memories' sake. Most people understand this, and you especially have captured it. Disney always holds memories, and stays as a constant reminder that one cannot stop time.

Posted 10 Years Ago


icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

Thank you Hampstead Poet for your kind review. I shall not be returning I think. I long to travel th.. read more
As a Florida resident, I went to Disney World as a teenager and then many times with our son. It is still a place of enchantment...a place where anything seems possible. The wide eyed smiles and giggles of children...even those I don't know....are enchanting. Yes, it's true, the long lines and heat can get to a person, but I think it is a wonderful place to visit. I had to smile at these lines, "So I have done my American duty. My kids had picd with Sleeping Beauty." Wonderful! You know what? Your kids will never forget their times there. That makes it all worth it. Well written with just the right amount of sarcasm and humor. Lydi**

Posted 10 Years Ago


icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

Thanks Lydi- it's one of those places that I only needed to visit once but have been there 3 times a.. read more
Add me to the list of those who have never been. I really do think it's for children, and I can understand a parent wanting to take her children to their "dream destination." I don't envy the aching feet, the cranky moods, the depleted wallet, nor the crowds. You, however, walked away with a poem; and that's a better offering than anything else we could have received. :-)

Posted 10 Years Ago


icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

I suppose that's true, I did get a poem out of it. Thanks so much Linda.
Linda Marie Van Tassell

10 Years Ago

You're so welcome. I hope you got a foot massage as well. :-)
Never been, never want to go, and don't feel I've missed a thing so I agree with you in that there are far better ways to spend time with a family (realizing I haven't been there, so can only relate to your descriptions via words) and know many have a great time of it and can't wait to go back again. I prefer the trip to Philadelphia for the Bicentennial, touring the museums which were fun experiences for my boys as well, and other fun/educational experiences like seeing the 10" beetles at the exhibit at Niagara Falls, Canada. I still have nightmares about them........well, that's my fantasy instead of having one of the Seven Dwarfs lull me to sleep.
It's okay to wear those cranky pants - I never got mine past my ankles........lol
P.S. Okay, okay - I do love Tinker Bell, but that's as far as I go!

Posted 10 Years Ago


icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

Thanks Sheila and you live in Florida. It is just so overrated. I think about bringing my kids to th.. read more
Sheila Kline

10 Years Ago

Good for you..............go for it Anne!!!! There's a lot of world to see!!!!!!
You're rhyming scheme is great. The flow is great and I loved the overall poem. Well done. (-;

Posted 10 Years Ago


icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

Appreciate the thumbs up Kimmie. Nice to meet you.
Kimmie

10 Years Ago

You too, IcelandicBlue
I love this write. It was described so well. :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

Thanks Kaze- you always take the time to read.
♔ CrownedDevil ☾

10 Years Ago

Your welcome. :)
A very fascinating write. I loved the theme of how happiness and pure innocence slowly dwindles over age as people begin to see things differently, particularly in a darker, more pessimistic view. Great write!

One little suggestion:

In stanza 3, I think ball should be bawl.

Posted 10 Years Ago


icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

You are right, originally I had squall and changed it. You've got a good eye and yes we do become mo.. read more
Gleb Zavlanov

10 Years Ago

It was my pleasure reading and reviewing such great work!
Ha I can see you had your cranky pants on for this one Anne. I really enjoyed seeing the delight on my kids faces when we were there, so long ago, how I long for that overly sweet time of their youth. I so get it though, other than that, it can blow...long lines, the cost for a family of five is off the charts...all in all, I'm glad we did it at the time, but wild horses couldn't drag me there again. Now give me a beach where I can veg out and I'd be over the moon.

Posted 10 Years Ago


icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

I agree, we did it too for a family of 5. The kids had so much fun, we went with my sister and her k.. read more
Anne this is right up my alley. I have never been to Disneyland or world and have no desire to go. Both of my kids have been but it all seems a bit too much for me. I have enough fantasy flowing through my brain as it is and the admission price is cheap. Very nicely penned and fun to read...as you always are.

Posted 10 Years Ago


icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

Thank you Jack,

You haven't missed a thing. Thanks for commenting.
I have never been to Disneyland or Vegas… I just couldn't imagine choosing the fake Eiffel Tower, when the real thing is up for offer. So on this I thing we see eye-to-eye. But I do want to see the Grand Canyon one day and so I will probably fit them in on either side.

Posted 10 Years Ago


icelandicblue

10 Years Ago

Oh i forgot all about the Vegas Eiffel Tower, but that just so adults will bring their kids, and the.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

679 Views
25 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on January 4, 2014
Last Updated on January 4, 2014

Author

icelandicblue
icelandicblue

Boston



About
I do not accept any new friend requests unless we have read and commented on each others poetry. No exceptions. I have enough homework as it is. I expect reciprocity in our exchanges. Read my work and.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..