The Brain of A Splintered Poet

The Brain of A Splintered Poet

A Poem by icelandicblue

I'd like to write a poem
perhaps just one a day
but there is something
in my brain
that just won't work that way.

My phone is filled with snippets
of my imagery of thought
something's definitely missing,
where dormant words
lie tied up all in knots.

I want to be a poet
who is committed to the craft
yet there too many times
the void is filled
with words that quietly amass.

I want to be THAT poet
who cannot put the pen down
Instead I am a visitor
where I swim
but don't quite drown.

But life has taught me clearly
you don't get what you want
so when words escape me
I let them fly beyond
yet still I hear that taunt;

that this will be the last one
the last one that I'll write
and all those swirled emotions
will surely abandon me
some inky stinky night.

I want to be a poet,
spin out my words of dance
but tied to tubes and wires
this light poetic coma is
an endless white room trance.

I''d like to write a poem
perhaps just one a day
but there is something
in my brain
that just won't work that way.





© 2014 icelandicblue


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Boy do I relate to this one, perhaps more than any other poem you've ever written...I envy the ones who can pick up a pen at any time and just will a poem into being...my brain just doesn't work that way either...you've articulated it so well here, and the great irony of it is that you've done it in a picture-perfect piece...the flow and rhymes and wordplay all come together and compliment each other beautifully...stanza four was particularly affecting, but every verse is full of truly unique analogies...I don't always get what I want, especially on this site, but slowly but surely I'm becoming appreciative of the fact that I do get what I need, in the form of a miniscule group of friends that offer me their unwavering support...I never feel like a mainstream figure around here, but I gradually becoming okay with that...awesome work my friend, definitely a favourite.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

icelandicblue

9 Years Ago

That my friend is one stellar review. We all work differently toward the same end and it's ok...usua.. read more



Reviews

what a fantastic piece of writing .. yes yes that feeling of being drawn in to the words but never 'allowing' ourselves the time ... the doubt, the fear, the self chastising ... ha .. all of it ...

I like this poem for its bubbly and affectionate way about it as well as the honesty nicely folder within the humour ... well done xx



Posted 9 Years Ago


icelandicblue

9 Years Ago

thank you so much KWP and I am pleased you enjoyed this.
Haha! This is fantastic! Sometimg that all of us can relate to :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


icelandicblue

9 Years Ago

Thank you because I was trying to be funny and light instead of my usual anchor of doom.
The Nude Writer

9 Years Ago

Haha :) I can appreciate that
You Are a poet, Anne...there is no doubt...and you write really good poems about writers block....or as this one does...writing about those who write poems, and those who are actually poets...

it is in your blood, obviously...and all those snippets will come together eventually...

really like "the endless white room trance"---the visitor has found a home.

Posted 9 Years Ago


icelandicblue

9 Years Ago

Thank you so much jacob. I think self doubt has always been part of the package that I don't let oth.. read more
I zoomed by this writing. To me, is quite the opposite I read for one or another reason loads of information and I am like a sponge I guess not that I retain much after all a male so very little but what I do retain seems to come back to haunt me like many things do. I write out of desperation at times I can fill virtual spaces for a long time mostly unconnected, unstructured, broken illogical. When I read your descriptions sounded like exactly the opposite. What is more anecdotic even, something I read not so long ago by the name of "the splintered mind" which describes some of what you describe here although in a very scholastic manner. So when I read the title it made me wonder. Finally and as a simple realazation as it often is the case and I really felt for this part is the fact that you suggest to know yourself a little or a lot and when you know something about yourself then you can also realize what kind of artist you might be instead of the one you think of.

Wise.

Thankyou

Posted 9 Years Ago


icelandicblue

9 Years Ago

I think we are all splintered, shattered or broken in one way or another. Few if any get through lif.. read more
Ha!
I don't think we get to choose to be a poet or not...
Yet we are sails in the wind of life's circumstances.
All we can do is stand ready at the helm I think.
I enjoyed the read Blue.
Write on... Sail strong and turn her bow to face the breeze!

Posted 9 Years Ago


icelandicblue

9 Years Ago

That's good advice David, thank you!
Oh, Ice....this one flowed so well... It washed over me and gave me joy. I can identify with the collection of snippets of words. I loved the refrain at the end. It jelled together with perfection...:)

Posted 9 Years Ago


icelandicblue

9 Years Ago

Thank you so much Bright Ocean Star!
I used to be THAT poet. Sadly, life takes its toll, diminishes the dreams, and diminishes the words. The few that remain are randomly strung together to give life to some facet of life deemed important at that time. It's funny ...

When younger, my poems were an inner reflection of the dreams and hopes that I wanted to be. Now that I'm older, they are like broken fragments of a mirror reflecting the past. I find myself looking back more so than looking forward.

We can all relate to this poignant poem.

Thank you.

Posted 9 Years Ago


icelandicblue

9 Years Ago

Thanks so much Linda. I want to be more inspired but so much of my inspiration comes from pain...it'.. read more
Boy do I relate to this one, perhaps more than any other poem you've ever written...I envy the ones who can pick up a pen at any time and just will a poem into being...my brain just doesn't work that way either...you've articulated it so well here, and the great irony of it is that you've done it in a picture-perfect piece...the flow and rhymes and wordplay all come together and compliment each other beautifully...stanza four was particularly affecting, but every verse is full of truly unique analogies...I don't always get what I want, especially on this site, but slowly but surely I'm becoming appreciative of the fact that I do get what I need, in the form of a miniscule group of friends that offer me their unwavering support...I never feel like a mainstream figure around here, but I gradually becoming okay with that...awesome work my friend, definitely a favourite.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

icelandicblue

9 Years Ago

That my friend is one stellar review. We all work differently toward the same end and it's ok...usua.. read more
We all want what we aren't sometimes. I wish I was one of those concise, crafting, hard working poets. I have tried about 10 times since I have been here to come up with a sonnet or some other strictly regimented piece, and everything I come up with I am not happy with.:)

Posted 9 Years Ago


icelandicblue

9 Years Ago

So true KL...it seems to be how we are hardwired. Perhaps I should step up my meditation. Thanks so .. read more
Lyn Anderson

9 Years Ago

Yes, I believe it is a bit like that. Of course, I can compile a sonnet, I just don't think it sound.. read more
You have penned a poet's predicament so amazingly well here. Words elude is so many times, especially at those when we need them the most. But as Dale says, a poet is a poet. I wish to add that that you are an awesome poet with much beauty to offer your reader.

Posted 9 Years Ago


icelandicblue

9 Years Ago

Thank you so much DIVYA you are too kind.

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

471 Views
17 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on September 20, 2014
Last Updated on September 20, 2014

Author

icelandicblue
icelandicblue

Boston



About
I do not accept any new friend requests unless we have read and commented on each others poetry. No exceptions. I have enough homework as it is. I expect reciprocity in our exchanges. Read my work and.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..