Stolen Life.

Stolen Life.

A Story by Gemma Hillhouse
"

Henry Grisham's body is found in an alleyway in New York, they arrest a man that they are sure commited the murder. He is sentenced to up to fifty years in prison with no parole. But did he kill him?

"
As I stand In the kitchen of my years-old apartment, making fresh coffee, I think about the decisions I have made in my life and where they have taken me. Although I could have made better choices I am not displeased by this path I have chosen. Everyone has their mistakes, their own secrets buried deep down within themselves, ones that they want no one to know. There are two things in life that I am sure of: a) Mistakes aren't mistakes unless you learn from them. b) Sometimes secrets should be shared, no matter how dark. And right now, I have a secret of my own I'm willing to share. Something that happened many years ago that I'm not too proud to admit.
    I pour the coffee into a mug and carefully lift it from the counter and just then I realize how weak I've become; this is the first time I've noticed how much my hands, once strong and stable, now shake. I also notice the wrinkles that have crept in over time and for a short moment I feel a sadness rush over me, a feeling I've not experienced in a long time. In that moment it was like my life was suddenly flashing before me and I realized I had not become the man I once wanted to be. Growing up I always had dreams of becoming a successful business man, I knew the career path I wanted to take, and I was happy. I always knew I would make it in the big world, I just had to believe in myself, and I did, more than anyone could imagine. But not everything goes to plan. Instead I am old with no family around, no friends, and achieved nothing. It's as if I never lived at all.
    I steady the cup between both hands and walk towards the round table adjacent the small apartment window at the back of the living area. I place the warm mug on the table that is showing signs of aging (It's been around since I was six years old. The black paint is fading and the back left leg is not as steady as it used to be) and sit down. I stare out at the night as I wrap both hands around the mug and I quickly feel its warmth heating my fingers and the steam rising to warm my cheek. In a quick moment I suddenly remember everything like it was yesterday, still fresh and clear in my mind, everything coming back to haunt me in one horrible moment. It was like I was twenty-eight again about to make all of the same mistakes. As I tighten my grip around the mug, still warming my hands, I turn my head from the window and stare blankly in front of me for what felt like minutes. When I realized that I would have to relive my past again I flinched, feeling a horrible wave of emotions rising to the surface, like a volcano that's been quiet for years, now ready to come to life. I calm myself very quickly, take a sip of coffee and look back out into the city night. When I am totally relaxed I smile slightly, now happy that I am about to tell the truth for the first time since the night in October of 1980, I will not lie. I will tell nothing but the truth and make sure no detail of that night is left out. I promise.

© 2012 Gemma Hillhouse


Author's Note

Gemma Hillhouse
This isn't finished, I just wanted to publish what I have now.

I want to know what you all think. Honest opinions.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

this is nice i really like this

Posted 12 Years Ago


When I read this, I thought, sure hope there's more. What a tease you are. Nice story so far. Just noticed one thing: "Mistakes aren't mistakes unless you learn from them." Do you mean - Mistakes aren't mistakes if you learn from them.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Really good so far! I can tell it will be brilliant when it's finished. :D

Posted 12 Years Ago


I read your story, very nice. You should consider entering our summer anthology. Here is the link to our contest page http://www.writerscafe.org/contests/%22Who-is-the-Killer%22-Anthology/45322/, or visit our blog at handprintpublishing.wordpress.com

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

162 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 19, 2012
Last Updated on March 19, 2012

Author

Gemma Hillhouse
Gemma Hillhouse

Glasgow, Lanarkshire, United Kingdom



About
I'm 18 years old. I love to read a lot and I love to write. It would be a dream to see my writing in bookstores. more..

Writing