Do Wishes Drown In The Well Of No Return?

Do Wishes Drown In The Well Of No Return?

A Poem by KATHY SUE SILLS

 

Eyes peer into the wishing well,

a yearning hungers her deep within.

She wishes to see his face.

He holds her heart in the palm of his hand.

Is the wishing well fact or myth?

A silver coin slips from her grasp.

Tears blur her eyes as she watches the blue

water ripple as the coin disappears below the surface.

 

The well seems to echo words of harshness,

ones she longs to retain,

but are forever scared in her ears.

Visions of love reflect off the water.

Times when laughter and togetherness was perfect.

Where did that dimension go?

Is it lost forever?

 

A smile tranfix her face as hope surges within,

looking at his liberal features staring back at her.

The Heavens open up with rain,

shattering his image, it is then she

reliazes it was only and illusion of his face.

As her last coin slips into the well, she wonders is the wishing well fact or myth.

Are do wishes drown in the well of no return?

 

© 2012 KATHY SUE SILLS


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Author's Note

KATHY SUE SILLS
Tell me what you think!

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I love this idea of looking into the wishing well and his face appearing. This has a somber tone and makes you want him to jump out of the water and hold her.

Posted 12 Years Ago


As long as we remain human the wishing well with exist. It does not matter whether it is myth or fact. You hint at a time when romance was perhaps stronger in us. Then the 20th century happened. But as long as we are human romance will exist. A life lived in The Tyranny Of Fact Based Reality wld be dull indeed and not a life many of us wld want to live. But many wld have it otherwise wld say away with silly dreams and all that ... let us feed only on facts and realities. They are poor people with no souls. Maybe humanity will split into two at some point, just as homo sapiens killed of the neanderthals. Maybe some of us will follow the way of reason and reality and create artificial intelligence beyond our own. And those of us who have souls and romance in us will die out. But I think not. And so we need the wishing well to preserve our humanity.

Posted 12 Years Ago


A very emotional story. I think wishing wells are symbols of hope. Holding onto hope is so important but somethings its difficult. I really like this. You did a great job on it.

Posted 12 Years Ago


greatly embedded story!

Posted 12 Years Ago


The terrible and painful pull of unfulfilled longing. You did a great job on this.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Very interesting... we can not just sit back and follow guidelines put forth on how we do anything and instead think outside the box in order to progress spiritually and intellectually.

Posted 12 Years Ago


What I like about this poem is the way it uses a traditional fairy tale/fantasy theme and evokes from it a lot of new ideas, breathes air into it ...You feel at home with the story, but are surprised with lots of new approaches. Good work

Posted 12 Years Ago


How my dear...T_T Simply marvelous. The yearning and realization this piece offers is mind boggling. I cannot pick a favorite line. Simply can't. Each one holds its own sense of wow. I have never read a poem so well...even words fail me as I try to describe how intelligently this was penned. Anyways...if you know me by now you know I can be senile. Still there is no margin for error here and this is a wonderful piece to share. I have to also add it to my faves.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Good questions were awoke with this amazing poem. Th wishing well been a myth for many years. I tossed a few coins myself. I did like the ending of this poem. Thank you for the excellent poem.
Coyote

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

781 Views
28 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on March 22, 2012
Last Updated on March 23, 2012
Tags: Wishing Well, Love, Sorrow, Yearning

Author

KATHY SUE SILLS
KATHY SUE SILLS

Harrisville, MS



About
check out! www.facebook.com/twinoneandtwintwo Hello writercafe friends. I've been on this site for a few years! I stopped writing for a while, and trying to get back into it! When I joined this sit.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..