Anesthesia for elective spine surgery in adults

Anesthesia for elective spine surgery in adults

A Story by infodheeraj
"

The surgical treatment options for spinal cord and spine are most common and can be performed for a wide variety of medical conditions.

"

The surgical treatment options for spinal cord and spine are most common and can be performed for a wide variety of medical conditions. The surgery in a wide scale of complexity ranges from single level decompression, minimally invasive, multi-stage extensive reconstruction to highly complex surgeries. During these surgeries one thing is common and that is the use of the anesthesia. The anesthesia providers are now a day care for the individuals undergo spine surgery due to the clinical and technological advancement and the rise in the age of the patients. The evaluation of the anesthesia for a patient needed during corrective spinal surgery can easily be understand with the help of below discussed point.




Classification: It is the first factor which needs to consider. A complete understanding in the deformity of the spine is having 3-d anatomical description of the spine and aetiology specific. Generally both classifications do not exist together. The implication of the anesthesia for the 3 most usual groups of spinal deformity are:


•    Idiopathic: It is sub-divides by age and is the most common group.
•    Congenital: Abnormalities of both spinal cord and vertebrae involves in this group
•    Neuromuscular: It is sub-divides into the myopathic causes like muscular dystrophy and even with cerebral palsy type neuropathic causes.

Respiratory dysfunction: This is the factor which is used to assess the utilization of anesthesia during spine surgery. Individuals undergoing the surgery for spine problems are very much prone to the problems of respiration. In extreme cases this problems leads to pulmonary hypertension, hypercapnic respiratory failure and even death. The evaluation of the respiratory impairment and its pre-operative importance is an important factor to assess before undergoing surgery of spine.


Cardiac abnormality: Around 50% of the individuals diagnosed with congenital anomalies can have defects of other organs of body. Some of them have the cardiac abnormalities also. There might be some of the specific syndromes that can have association with the cardiac pathology and make the individual a clear case which requires specific assessment before surgery.




Airway Management: Most of the cases with spinal deformity cannot show any kind of complexity like airway management problems. But in some cases the individual group might have deformity skeletal stiffness makes either the tracheal intubation or airway maintenance difficult. These symptoms may be added to other problems like bulbar weakness or excess salivation which makes this issue worth assessing.


Specific syndrome associated problems: There are individual disease and uncommon syndromes related to spinal deformity. Many diseases among this are allergic to anesthesia. These allergies can range from high complexity in management of the airway to the severe cardiac compromise possibility. If in any case individual is diagnosed with any kind of uncommon syndromes or individual disease which is implicate to anesthesia needs to assess before the surgery.


Summary: The individuals who need to undergo any kind of spine surgery can have the chance of having many problems related to anesthesia. These problems are not limited to inter-operative duration or only to a specific complication due to surgical technique. Assessment of the above mentioned things can allow you to make preventions from these problems. This assessment might not completely avoid the complications, but a proper consultation can help the surgeon to make a realistic plan for the surgery and after care.


For more detail Email your Query : [email protected]

Call us at: +91-9371136499, +91- 9860755000 (International) / + 1-415-599-2537 (USA) / +44-20-8133-2571 (UK)/ +234-17101094(NIGERIA)

© 2016 infodheeraj


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

425 Views
Added on March 15, 2016
Last Updated on March 15, 2016
Tags: Anesthesia, spine surgery

Author

infodheeraj
infodheeraj

Nigeria



About
I am a healthcare consultant in India. we are provide healthcare tourism facility to foreigner patients. more..

Writing