We're not in Kansas anymore.

We're not in Kansas anymore.

A Chapter by Ink Fairy

“Wake up!”

“Just five more minutes…” Luke mumbled and buried his head deeper into the blanket.

“COME ON! WAKE UP!”

Then Luke felt a sharp tug on his hair. He woke with jolt and all his sleepiness evaporated instantly. “What the f**k, mom-“

But it wasn’t his mom after all. Crowded round his bed were one, two, three, four, five, six, a total of seven teenagers. He looked around �" wherever this place was, it most certainly was not his room. Luke’s first instinct was to run �" but they had surrounded him so completely that there was no way for him to escape. “Who the f**k are you guys? What are you doing here?”

“That’s two ‘f***s’ in less than one minute.” commented the girl with short dark hair, who was at the end of the bed, directly in front of him.

“What are we doing here, he asks.” said the pretty Asian girl next to her. "Don't we all wanna know."

“No, but that guy has a point,” said the guy who looked just like a surfer. “Who the f**k ARE you guys?” he laughed.

“We just met about ten minutes ago,” explained the guy with the chocolate brown hair, noticing the confused expression on Luke’s face. He looked older, more mature than all the others. “I was the first one to wake up and being all alone in this strange place - I was frightened out of my mind. I knew it was probably dangerous, but I needed to know where I was �" so I went into the room next to mine - and I met Lance over there.” He pointed at the surfer dude. “He had only just woken up, and while I was introducing myself there was a knock on our door �" Alexis was wandering around the hallway and heard me.” The Asian girl waved. “We decided to go from room to room to find out if there are any others and wake them, and since this room’s at the end of the hallway, you’re probably the last. So, uh, hi, I’m Brian.”

“Natalie, but you can call me Nat,” said the dark-haired girl.

“Jake,” said the tall and lanky guy hanging about behind them, unable to squeeze himself into the little circle around his bed.

“Hey. I’m Lauren.” The blond, freckly girl smiled.

“Adrianna,” the girl with beautiful red hair looked as if she wanted to hold out her hand, but seemed to have thought better of it halfway and turned it into an awkward wave instead.
Luke looked at them slowly, taking in their faces one by one; he almost wanted to slap himself, like people do in those cheesy movies when they aren’t sure if they’re awake. “Nah, you’re not dreaming,” said Brian, reading his mind. “We really are stuck here in this godforsaken place, and apparently none of us knows why. But anyway, what’s your name?”

Luke didn’t realize that he had yet to introduce himself. He smiled, hoping he didn’t come off as impolite. “I’m Luke. Well, it’s really Lucas, but no one calls me Lucas except my mom…”
“Lucas,” said Alexis immediately. Luke raised his eyebrows, and she laughed.

“So…no one has any idea where we are?” Luke asked. He glanced around the room for the first time. It was dimly lit; a dusty old chandelier hung dangerously above him. Everything looked as if it had been made out of wood, and the architecture almost looked Victorian. The room was probably five times bigger than his room back home; in fact, it was about the size of his living room. Through that little space in between Natalie and Jake, he finally caught sight of something familiar. “Hey! That’s my suitcase!”

“We’ve all got ours in our rooms too. You wanna open it?” asked Jake, moving aside. Luke climbed out of his bed and made a beeline for the huge black leather case that has been with him ever since he started boarding school. Then he stopped. “Actually, I think I might do it later, if you guys don’t mind.” I have no idea what’s inside, and I’m not sure I want you guys to see.

“No, no, of course. It’s cool.” said Brian. “I wouldn’t want everyone staring while I open mine either. It’s not like I have a dead body inside or anything, but it is sort of private. I wouldn’t want my best friend to see it, let alone people I’ve met five minutes ago.”

“I don’t ever remember packing anything, though. It is full of our private belongings though? There aren’t like, explosives or anything?”

“Nah. I don’t remember packing either, but it’s got all my personal stuff inside. It’s funny, because my favourite dresses are there, and so are my books. There’s even the stack of notes I was revising before I got here. These kidnappers sure are considerate…”

“Woah, woah woah. Kidnapping? Is that what this is?” asked Luke, his eyes widening.

“Duh. What else could this be?” said Alexis.

“It is a kidnap. I don’t know about you guys, but I actually remember the kidnapping process. Well, sort of anyway. Adrianna and I met �" if you could call that meet �" in the kidnapping car. Basically, we saw each other tied up and all, and with tape over our mouths. We just stared at each other in horror until we got too tired and dozed off. It was almost as if we were in a staring contest �" it would have been kind of funny if we weren’t so goddamn scared. Then we woke up, and well…here we are,” said Lauren.

“But…I don’t remember anything at all. The last thing I was doing…” Luke frowned in concentration. “I think I went to bed, as usual.”

“I was saying bye to my parents at the airport. I’m from Australia, and I was going to visit my brother, who goes to uni in the UK. So I actually packed my own suitcase…” said Lauren.
“I didn’t; the last thing I remember was partying at a friend’s house. Damn, that chick I was snogging was really hot too…anyway. I’m kind of curious what I’ve got in my suitcase now, I haven’t opened it yet.”

“Maybe it’s packed with condoms?” Alexis suggested. Lance shrugged playfully, and she rolled her eyes. “I was revising for finals in my dorm.”

“Bo-ring.” whispered Lance. Alexis glared at him.

“Do you guys know each other or anything?” asked Luke curiously. Lance laughed. “I only know hot chicks.” Alexis kicked him. “Nah,” she replied. “I don’t think any of us know each other.” All of them shook their heads. “It's weird, because I already feel comfortable with you guys. I guess waking up in a weird spooky place like this together - it really brings people closer." said Brian.

"Yeah. I can't imagine how frightening it would be if I were the only one here," said Lauren.

"Hey, I wake up in unknown places all the time, and I don't see how THAT has bonded me with the person I woke up with..."Lance commented.

"Anyway, we were saying." Brian continued, ignoring Lance. "I was in the kitchen, making dinner. What about you, Jake?”

“I �" uh �" I was making out with my girlfriend.” mumbled Jake, his face turning red. “Adrianna?” he said quickly.

“I was at the hospital,” she said. The others all stared at her. “…Body checkup. Nat?”

“I feel I'm in a school, and this is some sort of quiz, and we’re being made by the teacher to take turn to tell the class our answers…” Natalie complained. “Anyway, I can’t remember. Probably reading or something. Doesn’t really matter, does it?”

“No. But I don’t understand. We all have no idea why we’re here - better yet, we don’t even know where ‘here’ is. Why are you guys so…calm?” Luke asked.

No one spoke, and the group exchanged uncomfortable glances. The truth was, they didn’t understand, either.

“Somehow,” Alexis said slowly, “It’s sort of a relief to be here. I mean, sure, yeah, we’re probably being kidnapped or something, but what’s the worst that can happen?”

“They could kill you,” Brian pointed out.

“Or they could brutally torture you, and THEN kill you,” Lance gave a wicked grin.

“We don’t know for sure that the people did this to us are evil. Now all I can think about is how relaxed I feel at this moment. A while ago I was still studying 18 hours a day…now I feel as if this huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders. I’m here, I don’t have to give a f**k about the exams, and that feels great.” Alexis said.

“I don’t really mind being here either,” Lauren admitted. “I feel…free.”

The others all nodded. They knew what she meant.


© 2011 Ink Fairy


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I really like the story line. At first I thought it was going to be one of the same plots I've seen a million times, but it's interesting. The only thing i would recomend is that you be a little more careful with your quotations. It seems you end a piece of dialogue before the character is done with what they are saying.

Otherwise, love it. Imma go read more now!!!! ^.^

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

165 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on April 30, 2011
Last Updated on April 30, 2011


Author

Ink Fairy
Ink Fairy

Hong Kong



About
karen/ hong kong/ team deathbat/ bookworm/ aspiring writer/ foodie/ relationship cynic/ ink fanatic. F*****g with life since 1993. Too weird to live but much too rare to die. music - My all-time fa.. more..

Writing
S.O.S. S.O.S.

A Poem by Ink Fairy


Aftermath Aftermath

A Poem by Ink Fairy