Rayne's Problem

Rayne's Problem

A Story by Ashlee
"

Ranye runs away after the llove of her life hurts her...but, what is she doing on the tracks???

"

     Rayne tossed and turned in her twin-sized bed. She had been unable to sleep for several hours because of the intruder. How was she supposed to deal with this new bit of information that was life or death? She had been pondering this for two days now and decided that action was necessary.

     Silently she slipped the covers off her and onto the floor. She bare feet padded across the hard wood floor. She grasped the cold silver hand of the door to her room. Slowly, she opened the door and stepped out into the hallway. She scampered across and over to the front door. She turned around and took a deep breath.

     “I have to do this,” she said to no one in particular. “For my sake at least.” She opened the door and exited out into the bitter cold morning air of January. The sun looked as if it was trying to get up into the sky, but having a hard time of it.

     “Nice,” the word came to her cherry lips as if like a cloud, soft, and almost not there. Rayne stared across the street as if in a trance. She shook her head and took a small step forward. “I love you.” She dashed down her driveway and into the empty street. She turned left and ran until she had no breath left.

---

     Jacob laid in bed as he thought back to the day he discovered his new role. He brought a calloused hand to his face and placed it on his forehead.

     “How am I going to tell them?” His voice sounded foreign on his own lips. He rolled over on his side and closed his eyes. “How?”

     After what seemed like several hours later Jacob awoke to a hard knock on his door. He pulled the covers over his head and called out from under them.

     “What mom?”

     “Honey, you have a visitor.” A cheerful voice sounded through the fake wooden door. He listened carefully as his mothers’ footsteps faded. He was about to fall back asleep when his door began to creak.

     “Leave me alone Rayne. I don’t want to have anything to do with you.” He rolled over to face the wall, even though he was under the blanket. The creaking stopped. He strained to hear any sign of life.

     “I am truly sorry. I love you, but, remember,” she didn’t get a chance to finish. Jacob threw the covers off and sat up with a furious look in his eyes.

     “Don’t you dare tell me you are sorry. Your nothing to me anymore.” His words hit her like ice and he knew it. Rayne looked at him with sadness as she desperately tried to get his attention. “You have no right to bring up our past like that after what you did!” He could see the tears beginning to well up in her eyes.

     “Jacob, I,” she began to say.

     “NO,” Jacob screamed the words at her. “I hate you, I want nothing to do with you or that stupid baby.” He got up and stomped over to her. His six-foot body towered over her five-four figure. He grasped her shoulders and shoved her out the door and slammed it in her face.

     “Get out of my house.” He spoke from his side of the barrier. He could hear the silent sobs and could easily picture her quivering body. I trusted her, his mind raced hurriedly. He reached up and brushed tears from his eyes. He didn’t even know he was about to cry.

---

     Rayne scurried out and raced down the street and to the nearest train station. The tears spilled out of her eyes as she ran harder. How could he do that to her after all they had been though together? How could he just abandon her? She continued to run.

     “Why,” she asked to no one, “why?” She slowed to a stop as she realized she rested on the tracks. She looked down at her feet as her eyes filled with salty tears again. She fell to her knees and closed her eyes.

     “Lord, please let everything work out,” she prayed. She laid down and rested her head on the tracks and waited.

---

     Jacob looked at the clock several times in the past five minutes. He couldn’t believe that she had not come back at all. She was extremely predictable. He knew what she would do even before she did. But, not now, not today. She paced the floor of his bedroom and closed his eyes.

     “Where is she?” His anxious voice took him off guard. He loved her. That was all there was to it. Everything that he had done for her. Everything that she had done for him. She smiled slightly and rushed out the bedroom and to the front door. And that is when he heard it. The soft, coming whistle of the express train. He knew in that instant where she was. And knew that if he didn’t hurry, something terrible would happen. He dashed through and out into the yard, and sprinted down the road.

     Jacob had been in track all his life. He knew how to run and maintain breath support. But, when you were scared to death and trying to beat the clock, it was really hard to remember how to do things.

---

     Rayne scrunched her face as she heard the whistle get louder and louder. She knew that it was only a matter of time. She had laid herself across the railroad tracks and placed her head on the side, like it was a pillow.

     She whispered a small good-bye to the one she loved and always would. She didn’t know of any other way to live, except with him. She loved him. Since the first time she had met him. She giggled slightly at the thought of their first meeting.

     She could hear it, the train coming closer. She squeezed her eyes shut and tensed her body. It was time.

---

     Jacob pushed back the liquid that was forming in his eyes. How could he have forgotten that she was still suicidal after what happened with her dad? That had been shortly after the plane incident.

     He flew around the corner and spotted her on the tracks. He pushed himself to run harder and faster then ever before.

     “RAYNE,” he screamed her name at the top of his lungs. He had to make it. He could see the front of the train coming in fast. Faster than him. “I LOVE YOU.”

---

     She had heard it. The sound of his voice calling out her name. The words that she had wanted to hear from him so badly. She bolted up when she realized where she was. She scrambled away from the oncoming train. The second she was feet away, the angry sounding machine whizzed past. She gasped for breath as she realized that she almost died.

     Jacob skidded to a halt and dropped next to her. His arms snaked around her tiny body and she shook violently. He pulled her away from her and kissed her face all over. There wasn’t a spot he didn’t kiss.

     “I love you. I was scared, that’s all.” Jacob panted as he told her his feelings. “Christ Rayne, don’t ever do that to me again. If you wanna scare me all you have to do is cry.” He gulped as he waited for a response.

     “I,” her voice shook with the rest of her body. “I love you too.” She pressed herself into his chest and cried until she had no more tears left. She coughed and pulled away from Jacob.

     “Will you still be my life, my soul, my heart, and my lover? “

     Rayne nodded her head and fell into him once more as a soft mist poured over them. She coughed and Jacob pulled her closer until there was no space left between them.

     “Don’t ever do that again, my beloved.” Jacob sighed into her dirty messed u hair. He loved her, it was God’s doing after all.

© 2008 Ashlee


Author's Note

Ashlee
I know it is short and a story comes before this one...but i have to edit it severly before i post it here...so you will find out later what happened between her and her dad......hehehe

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

110 Views
Added on June 8, 2008

Author

Ashlee
Ashlee

Yukon, OK



About
I love to write stories and poems. I write about lost love and hard times. I am a bit sadistic in my writings sometimes. So if you read my work don't think that I have gone through things. I read peop.. more..

Writing
Bird Attack Bird Attack

A Story by Ashlee


Whispers Whispers

A Poem by Ashlee