House of the Scorpions- Compare and Contrast and personal Book Review

House of the Scorpions- Compare and Contrast and personal Book Review

A Chapter by Isa Ruffatti
"

I am comparing contrasting two characters who are dominant figures in Matt's early life, and whenever I liked the book or not and why . I wrote this for a test and got a 90, hope you like it!

"
Rosa and Celia are both assigned at different times to take care of Matt but are far from alike. Where Rosa is hysterical and cold, Celia is calm and loving. Both women also have varying opinions regarding Matt. Celia is introduced as a careful and warm presence in Matt's life and it is obvious she loves him like her own. Rosa, on the other, is disgusted by the fact that she should care for the clone. I don't think Rosa is necessarily evil, but angry and upset as Willum(the doctor and her lover) left without her and so turns Matt into the object she lashes out on. She also decides to put Matt in a chicken litter since the Alacráns think him as an animal anyways and her accumulated hatred against him pulls her to even go as far as threatening to kill him. Another ginormous contrast between the characters is their contrasting personalities.  Celia acts discreetly while Rosa is downright impulsive, and as her rage burns down it becomes a bitter silence.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I liked the House of the Scorpions mainly because it is a well written book and the characters are wonderfully engaging.  You can actually feel as confused as Matt when describes how Carlos and the other Keepers behave. It is also a credible science fiction story. There's no warning signs to signal you that what you are reading is not real until you close the book.
Something that I did not like about this book was its abrupt ending. It virtually eliminates most of the cast of characters and it definitely gives you a shudder down the spine. Another thing is Tam Lin: Why did he have to die? The author says that sometimes a character just has to die and as long as Tam Lin was alive, Matt couldn't become the lord of the Opium Empire. I've been writing a book and I haven't killed a cast member yet but, did he really have to die?
It is also a very sinister event not apt for children when everyone El Patrón "owned" was poisoned. It is too horrendous to grasp it at first and you are left completely numb. Then the unfamiliar cold feeling of horror comes and it finally dawns up on you that El Patrón's ever active cruelty had no limits whatsoever.


© 2012 Isa Ruffatti


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

366 Views
Added on August 25, 2012
Last Updated on August 25, 2012


Author

Isa Ruffatti
Isa Ruffatti

, El Salvador



Writing
Untitled Untitled

A Story by Isa Ruffatti


Anansi, S1 E1 Anansi, S1 E1

A Screenplay by Isa Ruffatti