Laughing at Death

Laughing at Death

A Story by Jack...
"

Do you think death laughs??? Just listen

"

 

Laughing at Death

By Jack Ivey

 

The wind howls this night like a goat being led to slaughter; I chuckle as I grab the vision from my head. Life; one big stockyard full of mindless beasts milling aimlessly about looking for something to graze on, only to be led, kicking and screaming down a fence lined chute that ultimately ends in their demise.

 

Life is funny like that, I think as I inhale a long drag from my pipe and watch as its smoke dances about the air above where I sit. I laugh at life; a good hearty laugh. Yes, life is not unlike this fire raging in my hearth, brilliant in light and power, colorful and constantly changing. Flailing about with its arms in the air. Demanding to be seen and heard and felt while feeding on the essence of everything it touches if only to carry on but a few moments longer; eventually collapsing upon itself in a smoldering pile of ash.

 

Life is funny, though not everything views life as a perfect entity. Take this chair I sit upon; it would prefer death use it as a resting place. Death causes it no concern whatsoever. It is life that will ruin it, wear its fabric, weaken its springs and loosen its joints until it no longer can support the weight and is tossed aside, only to be replaced with another piece of furniture more in style. Life will go out of style where death never requires change. Death needs no showroom to display the latest fashion or design; it is always in style and can never be cast aside and rendered obsolete.

 

Death too is funny; death is hilarious to the point where I almost fall from my chair in snot-producing, cough-inducing, roll-on-the-floor laughter that brings tears to my eyes. I know this for you see, I am Death. I posses the ability to laugh at myself and genuinely invite you to join me when the time comes, and it will.

 

So please my little goats; do not feel the need to laugh while living, for I will sit here in my chair waiting for the gate to that picket lined pathway to open, leading you to me; then we will share a good laugh together.      

© 2013 Jack...


Author's Note

Jack...
Thank you for reading

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I really like the metaphor of the fire being like life. "Flailing about with its arms in the air."... excellent!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Jack...

10 Years Ago

Thanks so much fro checking this out.
I really liked this entry. Your punctuation could use some improvement in my personal opinion. However, I could not foresee the ending, which was intriguing, and I thought you had some great insight. Your concept was quite unique, I've never, EVER read a story from death's perspective before. Well done Jack.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Jack...

10 Years Ago

Thanks so very much. Punctuation has never been my strong suit.
N. Van Avery

10 Years Ago

You're welcome and don't forget to return the favor!
Impressive and ingenious. :) This is an excellent piece Jack, I love writing about Death, he's quite the topic. ;) I thoroughly enjoyed reading this masterpiece. (:

Posted 10 Years Ago


Jack...

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much my friend.
I love how you keep saying "little goats" It cracks me up. I can totally picture the devil breathing down someones neck saying that in a gruff menacing tone. Great read!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Jack...

10 Years Ago

Thanks so much
I liked your write. Yes death is funny like a peach with fuzz.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Jack...

11 Years Ago

Laughter is the best poison...thanks
A. H. Pinley

11 Years Ago

Nothing to fear in death. He'l come and get you eventually.
Jack...

11 Years Ago

Yeah he never seems to take a vacation
I think this is almost all internal dialogue, expect for the first paragraph, which should be left intact. I thought of the phrase "easeful death" when I read it...

Posted 11 Years Ago


Jack...

11 Years Ago

Thanks Marie
And I shall laugh in the face of death....maybe :-)

Posted 11 Years Ago


Jack...

11 Years Ago

He's not so bad once you get to know him...thanks.
Not bad at all. The old schtick of personifying death isn't used very much any more, but you've managed to make it work. One small quibble: end of the first paragraph, you forget your tenses. That 'its' should be 'their', since the sentence is still referring to the beasts in your metaphor, instead of life itself.
One thing I would suggest is to break apart the internal dialogue from the rest of the story and format it just as you would regular dialogue - just because it's the character's thoughts doesn't mean that it can't be made easier to read! In addition, by doing this you get to point out the character's thoughts as separate from the rest of the narrative, which breaks it up a bit. As it is, it feels as though it's all one internal monologue, which, to me, is not very appealing.
I also really like the fact that you portray death not as a vengeful character but as a kindly old man, of sorts, which is somewhat overdone, but is still not as wearisomely edgy as the alternative. I was left wanting more by the end, which is always a good indication of a work's quality. Good job!

Posted 11 Years Ago


This was interesting, I like the idea of showing the thoughts of a personified death, & more how death views itself & life. I like your style & the images you created as well.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Jack...

11 Years Ago

Thank you so very much. I appreciate it and am happy you enjoyed it.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

377 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 11, 2013
Last Updated on February 11, 2013
Tags: laughter, death, sheep

Author

Jack...
Jack...

San Antonio, TX



About
Not much to tell about me, I am just Jack, I am a poet, a writer, a musician, a painter, a builder and a dreamer. I live in south Texas but am originally from New Jersey and miss it more and more all .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Burns Burns

A Poem by Baby Ricochet


Lies Lies

A Poem by CindyLu


I Wonder I Wonder

A Poem by Frieda P