Patches of Bright Orange

Patches of Bright Orange

A Chapter by Jasmine

10 things I still havent done a week before the party;

1.       I havent bought anything new to wear

2.       I havent got a cute pair of high heeled shoes to wear (mainly because my mum wont let me wear any shoes over 2 inches high)

3.       I havent saved up the money to buy an outfit for the party

4.       I havent painted my nails

5.       I havent asked my parents if Macy and Brooke can come round

6.       I havent sorted out with Macy and Brooke whose house we are going to

7.       I havent decided what I am going to wear

8.       I havent decided what I am going to the party as

9.       I havent bought a present / birthday card for Chelsea yet

And the 10th thing I still havent done:

10.   I cant even remember if Ive RSVPd

So Brookes house is out of the picture.  Her 18 year old sister Lulu is having a house party that night, and she doesnt want three 14 year old kids getting in the way.

Macys parents are getting a few rooms in her house renovated for the next few months, so we cant get ready for Chelseas party at hers, and if we went to mine, wed have to get the bus back so we wouldnt get to mine til 5:30.

Looks like we cant go.

Its a week before the party and Macy, Brooke, Allison, Becki and I are all in the same position �" none of us have a clue what we are doing about this party.

This week feels so different. Were eating in our normal lunch place, but Allison and Becki replaced Kelly because apparently, the week before her party, Chelseas V.I.P.s must try and spend every waking moment with her - before, after and during school.

So youre hanging with us at the party, right? Alissons asked while chewing on her tropical bubble gum.  See, Alissons lucky.  If I was that forward, I would be considered pathetic and needy, but because Allisons higher up on the scale of popularity, she can get away with being so straight to the point.  I guess now is as good a time as any for me to voice what has been going through the mind of Macy, Brooke and I.

Dont even know if were going.

Why?

Why dont I know if Im going?  Because, if Im being honest, I dont even like parties.  Theyre load and require effort, and you end up standing around in an uncomfortable outfit talking to around four people, ogling guys that youre not going to talk to anyway.  I only go because...  Well... I guess I go because everybody else goes.  Its whats expected of me socially.  But I cant tell them that.  Instead Ill just say;

Dunno... Just cant be bothered.

But you guys have to go!  It will be fun!  Beckis whining,

About as much fun as it is watching Kelly run after Chelsea at school.  Brookes retorted, picking the lettuce out of her sandwich.

Come on you guys!  You can join in with our 10 minute challenges!

10 minute challenges?

Allison and I do them all the time!  Basically, Allison and I will both come up with a challenge for us all to do at the party, and then well see how many of us can do it in 10 minutes!  The one with the most success wins!

Ok, that actually sounds kind of fun, but I still dont want to go.  Ive put myself off of this party, and now it just seems like too much of an effort to even try.  I have the perfect excuse not to go;

It sounds cool, but I still cant.  We have nowhere to get ready before the party.

Easy, get ready at mine!  Alissons suggesting, I live 5 minutes down the road from here, and considering were all having bad luck with the costumes and were roughly all the same dress size, lets all bring like 5-10 bits of nice clothes and accessories and shoes and then we can all mix and match!

That sounds really awesome!  Well be there!  Brookes piping up,

Great.  That means I actually have to go.

***

5 minutes.  Thats all I have left.  5 minutes.  5 minutes til I can leave school, 5 minutes til that bell rings and I can leave this free period and go to Allisons house. 

Its been a relatively good day.  Its Friday.  Chelseas party is tonight and Im actually out of my slum.  My parents have agreed to let me sleep over at Allisons after Chelseas, which Im still kind of shocked about.

You see, I thought my parents have this Unless weve met the girl or the parents, you cant sleepover rule, but what I forgot was that Allisons brother Kyle is really good friends with my brother Max, so theyve already met her parents.  When I asked my parents if I could sleepover at Allisons they were like,

Do we know Allison?

Yeah, I lied, You know, Allison Halden!

Luckily, Dylan was then like, Do you mean Allison - my friend Kyle Haldens brother?  Can Kyle come round?

So then my parents decided that since they know Kyles parents I could go.  They even rang up his parents and offered to let Kyle sleepover at our house on Friday so now Allison and I are both brother free for the weekend.

I havent actually seen Kelly all day.  Which is probably why my day has been so good.  Apparently, the day of Chelseas party, her V.I.P.s cannot see anyone but her, but they have to come to this final registration.  They cant leave school without being registered. 

And here they, OMG.  OMG.  OMG. 

Oh.

My.

Gosh.

Macy and Brooke have just witnessed exactly what I have witnessed.  I can tell because theyre trying just as hard as I am to fight back laughter.  Kelly and Megan have walked into the classroom and...  Im speechless, plus, Kellys walking over and I need to stop the smirk on my face.  Im gonna have to keep my mouth closed.  If I say anything to Kelly I will start laughing.  Theres no alternative.  I mean, Im trying as hard as I can not to look her in the eyes as it is. 

Brookes got that look in her eye.  That look that shows that shes ready to stir trouble.  And it looks like shes gonna start now.

Kelly, youve got a dodgy bright orange patch of fake tan somewhere,

Really, where? Kellys asked, frantically checking her arms for patches

Everywhere!  Why are you and Megan bright orange? And now shes laughing.  Yeah thats right, Brooke is laughing at Kelly right in front of her face, and Macy and I are just sitting here with our lips pursed, at risk of opening our mouths and joining in.

Oh, And Kelly looks confused.  Her brow is furrowed and everything. Yesterday Chelsea paid for all of her V.I.Ps to get professional spray tans.  Is it that obvious?  Its for our costumes!

What are you going as? A giant cheese puff?

Brookes asked that with a dead serious straight face, but thats too much for Macy and I.  Were off.  Weve erupted into a fit of giggles, not that Kelly cares.  Shes just rolled her eyes and gone to talk to Megan again.

The minute I got home from school yesterday I rushed upstairs to start packing.  I packed the usual - pyjamas (Just some boring checked shorts and a plain black vest top, my snowman pyjamas dont leave the house), a change of clothes for Saturday, underwear, my spare hairbrush, and I packed my toiletries this morning after I used them. 

Next was the hard part - finding the clothes for the party.

I looked through my wardrobe for possible costume related items, but to be honest, I was having trouble starting. 

I thought about it logically.  I dont have many nice dresses for parties, so I packed the two I have:

I rushed upstairs to start packing.  I packed the usual - pyjamas (Just some boring checked shorts and a plain black vest top, my snowman pyjamas dont leave the house), a change of clothes for Saturday, underwear, my spare hairbrush, and I decided that I would pack my toiletries after I used them in the morning. 

Next was the hard part - finding the clothes for the party.

I looked through my wardrobe for possible costume related items, but to be honest, I was having trouble starting. 

I thought about it logically.  I dont have many nice dresses for parties, do Ill pack the two I have I thought as I grabbed my short black chiffon dress with the one sleeve and my grey strapless and placed them in my bag.  I have been in a lot of school productions and you normally get to keep the costumes, so I looked through those but all I found was a large camouflage T-shirt that I wore when I played a soldier, A deep blue shawl I got from a dance show and some maroon leggings which I actually hated because Maroon makes my legs look like tree stumps.  I chucked them all in my bag too (Plus the baseball cap that matched the T-shirt - Theyre kind of a matching set).  6 Items done, now why dont I get some accessories?  I thought. 

I looked through my top drawer.  My top drawer is the one with all my hair accessories.  I found two old headbands.  One with leopard ears attached and one with what I assumed were some type of monster ears attached. 

8 items done, Ive got to find 2 more.  I chucked in my navy canvas trainers, the one pair of heels that I own (My mum doesnt believe that I should be wearing high heels at such a young age), and I thought Id go one extra and add the pair of suede pumps that I bought last summer.

It was almost 11pm by the time I was done choosing my ten items so I chucked in some basic make-up (you know, lip gloss, foundation, eye shadow, mascara, eye liner), stole a packet of strawberry laces from the place where Max hides his sweets, packed them in my bag and then went to bed.

And now there are 20 minutes.  20 minutes til the end of the day.  Ive had to sit through double maths, a history test, art, geography and I have 20 minutes until RS is over.  20 minutes.    

Kellys barely talked today, but then again she barely talks to us nowadays anyway.  We didnt even get a Hi this morning.  It doesnt matter though. 

10 minutes.  Allisons smiling at us all - Its a cheeky smile and it pretty much summed up everything were looking forward too.

Fun, laughs and a little pinch of crazy.



© 2015 Jasmine


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

97 Views
Added on July 9, 2015
Last Updated on July 9, 2015


Author

Jasmine
Jasmine

London, Lewisham, United Kingdom



About
Young writer who's an aspiring author and writes a satirical teen blog. more..

Writing