My One Last Cent

My One Last Cent

A Poem by Jazypoet
"

Hard Times

"
My One Last Cent
Down to the penny, broke to the core.
Open my wallet, it�s beggin for more.
Instead of seeing dollars, I see receipts and slips of what used to be money galore.
        In the zipper portion, there�s only one last cent.
Now, five days til payday, 86 hours for sure.
Cause at midnight on Monday, I�ll be jumping for more.
        But right now, I�m down to the mere last cent.
For some, it maybe a dollar, others it maybe ten, but for me it�s
        My one last cent.
It may sound funny, but it�s a rather pitiful site. Just to think, you car is � full and you have to get to work for four more nights.
Will the gas stretch? It may if the traffic is not tight.
        Cause we only have one last cent.
And it must last for four more nights.
Let�s not forget we have to eat to.
Well, I could become a vegetarian until Monday night, that may do. At least I�ll be eating healthy for those four nights, but what about the laundry in the hamper that�s building high?
I can take care of that with a wink of an eye. I�ll wash them with Dawn and the dirt will go bye, bye. And no one would know what detergent I used. Why does it matter? My clothes are clean and I do smell good.
That night,
I checked my clothes,
Dumped all my purse, expecting more pennies, but finding the worse.
No dollars, no ten or fives inside.
Just bubble gum wrappers and fortune cookie lies.
Now, I have three days to cry, �cause I�m still down to one last cent tonight.
It�s Saturday morning and I have two days left, to ponder and think about my one last cent.
Should I go for a run, or got to the mall, or read a book, and forget it all?
Two I can do and one I can�t. I could go for a jog and read a bit, but going to the mall would only make me think, of a million ways to spend.
My one last cent.






© 2008 Jazypoet


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

148 Views
Added on February 8, 2008

Author

Jazypoet
Jazypoet

Atlanta, GA



About
I enjoy writing poetry and creative fiction. To date, I've had one poem published and am currently working on a book of poetry and completing my second fiction novel project. more..

Writing
Love Is Love Is

A Poem by Jazypoet