The Unwelcome Meeting

The Unwelcome Meeting

A Chapter by jbwest31

            So, are you getting nervous yet?” Hermione asked.

Alex managed to shake his head as they got off the train, although he was pretty sure she noticed his hand shaking. Alex had been waiting for this moment ever since he was a kid. His father had let him practice using his wand when he was younger. The first time he used to dad’s wand was when he turned six. He managed to blow up a vase in the living room. He had though that his dad was going to scream and take the wand away from his.  To his surprise though, he father just laughed and told him to try again. His mother came home from the store to find the room in shambles. Several lamps were broken, the couch had a tear and was leaking stuffing, and there were several holes in the walls. His mom dropped her bags staring in shock at the mess. Her face turned scarlet and she looked ready to jinx the both of them.

 Before she could get out a word his dad looked at her and said, “How can you stay mad at him when he gives you those eyes.” She stared the six-year-old boy and her anger melted away. She turned to her husband, “That’s not fair Severus!” She looked frustrated but defeated.

            “Now you know how I feel”.  His father had replied smirking. “He has your eyes dear”.

“You’re lucky you’re so sweet Severus” she said wrapping her arms around him and giving him a kiss.

 

            Alex smiled as he recalled that memory. It had been his favorite birthday he ever had. That was before his dad had gotten his promotion. Before he became angry and short-tempered. The change hadn’t happened overnight. He got worse and worse over the next few years. His parents would fight constantly and his dad became very impatient with Alex. His mom had sat down with Alex after a particular brutal and unwarranted scolding form his dad.

            “He’s just stressed honey. His boss puts a lot of pressure on him. He still loves you, just give him some time to cool down.”

 

A deep, booming voice brought him back to reality. “All first years over here with me.” The command came from a very large unruly looking man. He had to be at least seven feet tall and just as thick. His shaggy brown hair fell to his shoulders and mixed with his wild, tangled beard. One of the older boys, who identified himself as a prefect, shouted above the crowd. “Will all first years please meet up with our groundskeeper Hagrid.”

Hermione grabbed his arm and pulled Alex towards the giant man.

            “Hurry up, I want to be the first one in the castle!” She exclaimed.

Alex laughed as Hermione dragged him up to the front of the crowd. The first year students had to take boats up to the castle while the older students got to ride in carriages. To Hermione’s delight, her and Alex were able to board on the first boat. Several students gasped and flinched as the oars suddenly sprang to life and started paddling all on their own. Hermione on the other hand, seemed delighted at the occurrence. She kept the ride up to the castle interesting, reciting facts about Hogwarts. Alex knew a lot about the school considering who his dad was, but Hermione’s knowledge was even greater than his own.

            “How do you know all this stuff”? Alex finally asked.

            “I read about it. It’s all in Hogwarts: A History” She replied.

Alex was glad that she seemed to be pretty intelligent. He had grown up hearing awful things about muggle-borns. He had been told how stupid and dull they were. Alex was pleasantly surprised to find that Hermione was quite the opposite of that. She was smart and quick witted. She wasn’t anything at all like the different flyers and pamphlets the empire put out.

            They had been riding for about twenty minutes before the boat finally reached the castle’s shore. The first year students started piling out of their boat. They older students seemed to arrive at the exact same time. Hermione’s eyes widened when she looked up at the vastness of the castle, her face frozen in an expression of pure delight. Alex chuckled to himself, feeling slightly jealous of Hermione. This was all new and exciting for her. Alex of course, had been to the castle numerous times, so the place lost some of it’s magic.

            Hagrid lead the group of first years up to the school’s front doors. He stopped abruptly to allow the older students to enter first. Hermione, who was looking at everything except where she was going, walked straight into the back of the massive man. She quickly got up and apologized clearly embarrassed. Hagrid just looked down at her with a puzzled expression. Alex wondered whether the massive man even felt the collision. To a man his size, it must have felt like a fly landing on a normal person. 

            Alex leaned over to Hermione and whispered to her. “They let all the older students in first to get settled in the great hall before they let in the first years. They’ll explain all the rules to us before let us in for sorting.”

Alex couldn’t tell if her expression of was one of excitement or nervousness (maybe both) at the prospect of being so near sorting time. He knew she was just as nervous as he was, so he wasn’t surprised when she let out a little squeak as Hagrid finally ushered them in. Seemed frozen in place so Alex squeezed her shoulder and said, “Don’t worry we’ll do this together. Alex’s voice appeared to thaw her out. She smiled as they entered the castle.

            Alex walked into the familiar entrance hall and wasn’t surprised to see a rather large wizard with flamboyant green robes making his way towards them. The wizard’s stomach lapped slightly below his waist as if he had enjoyed one too many butterbeers in his lifetime. Alex wouldn’t have even needed to see his face to recognize professor Slughorn.

            Thank you Hagrid, I can take it from here.” Slughorn said.

Hagrid grunted and promptly left the castle without another word. Slughorn turned to the crowd of first years and smiled down at them. His multiple chins waggled as he turned his head back and forth surveying the new students.

            “As you may or may not know, I am professor Slughorn.”          

He paused for a second, most likely hoping students react to his name. He seemed disappointed when only a few of the first years nodded their head in recognition.

            “Anyways” he continued. “Not only do I teach here at Hogwarts, but I am also head of the Slytherin house. I look at you young boys and girls and it warms my heart to know that some of you will be under my care for the next seven years. But, if you are sorted into Slytherin, don’t expect to get any preferential treatment” he said smiling at them.

Alex had to stifle a laugh at that last remark from Slughorn. From what his dad said about Slughorn and from what Alex could gather when he met him before, he was exactly the type to give preferential treatment.

            Hermione gave him a quizzical look, so Alex whispered that he would tell her later.

            “Now I’m sure you’re all excited to be sorted into your houses” Slughorn continued. “But, before we get to that, I need to go over the ground rules with you youngsters.” Slughorn scrunched his face as if thinking really hard about something.

            “I know I’m forgetting something….” He mumbled to himself. He scanned the crowd once more before his eyes fell on Alex. His face lit up as if he just mastered a tough spell.

            “Ah Alexander Snape, please step forward will you?

Alex watched as everybody turned toward him, following Slughorn’s gaze. A great murmuring ensued at the mention of his name. Alex’s face flushed as he wished he had an invisibility cloak. If that boy Ron hadn’t told everybody who he was already, they certainly knew now.

            “Don’t be shy Alex, come on up” Slughorn said enthusiastically.

Alex looked over at Hermione, who gave him an encouraging but nervous smile. He slowly worked his way through the crowd up to professor Slughorn. He positively beamed at Alex when he reached the front.

            “Alex my boy, how are you? Asked Slughorn, shaking Alex’s hand enthusiastically.  “I can’t believe you’re already eleven. I remember when you were this tall.” holding his hand out to Alex’s waist.

Some of the girls in the crowd giggled and Alex wished that Slughorn would just get on with it.

            “I’m good professor Slughorn, how are you? Alex replied trying to sound polite.

            “Good good son. I expect I’ll be mentoring you while you’re here at Hogwarts. After all, I had your father when he attended.”

All Alex could manage was “yes sir”.

            “Well now enough of the pleasantries I suppose. Slughorn said. “We’re on a schedule. I was told that the headmaster wishes to see you before the feast tonight. So why don’t you just head up there while I finish up with the others”.

            “But what about sorting? Alex asked rather alarmed. He didn’t mention that he would rather not see the “headmaster” at this moment.

            “Ah, I’m just going to be explaining the rules to these young boys and girls. Something tells me you’re already familiar with them,” he said giving Alex a wink.

Alex glanced back at Hermione who had a rather upset look on her face. She seemed to snap out of it and gave him a reassuring nod.

            Alex reluctantly turned his back to Hermione and the rest of the first years and slowly started making his way to the Headmaster’s office.

            “Good seeing you Alex” he heard Slughorn call from behind him. “I expect great things from you!”

 

            Alex made his way slowly through the corridors. Growing up, he had always dreamed of his first day at Hogwarts. Never did he dream however, that it would go as poorly as this. Besides meeting Hermione on the train, he couldn’t think of a worse way to start his Hogwarts career. He imagined Hermione down there, probably talking and making friends with other students, forgetting about the boy whom she met on the train. All the sadness that he had felt earlier was melting away into anger. In fact, he was fuming by the time he reached the office labeled “headmaster”. He knocked rather hard on the door, taking his frustrations out on the wood.

            “Come in”, he heard a voice from within say.

Alex opened the door and was greeted by his father’s familiar scowl. He was busy scribbling something onto a piece of parchment. Alex stood there waiting for his father to say something. Finally after a minute, Alex got annoyed and blurted out, “Well?”

            “Well what?” his father replied curtly.

            “Slughorn sent me up here saying you wished to see me.” Alex said impatiently.

            “Professor Slughorn”

            “What?” Alex asked confused. His father had not even looked up yet from his writing.

            “While you’re here, it’s professor Slughorn Alex. I realize that our family is friendly with most of the staff here, but while you are here, you will show them the respect that comes with their position.” His father lectured.

            “Ok, well professor Slughorn told me that you wished to see me.”

Alex’s father finally set down his quill and looked up at him.

 “Yes. I shouldn’t have to, but I feel compelled to remind you not to embarrass the family while you are attending Hogwarts.”

Alex couldn’t believe it. After all the embarrassment he had felt today because of his father, he was the one receiving the lecture. It made him angry at the unfairness of it all. He could feel the blood rising in his veins as his father continued on.

“I have worked very hard at elevating our family’s status and bringing us respect.”

“It’s not respect, it’s fear” Alex muttered under his breath. His dad didn’t seem to notice as he kept on talking.

            “The last thing that I need is for my name to come under question because I can’t control my own son. So, you would do well to keep your nose down and stay out of trouble. Do I make myself clear?”

Alex heard an angry buzzing ringing in his ear. He wanted to shout and scream, but he knew better when his dad was in a mood.

He managed to force out a “yes sir” as he tried to subdue his temper.

            “Very well you’re dismissed.” He father said and with that he picked up his quill and continued to write. Alex stormed out of the office without bothering to look back.



© 2014 jbwest31


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

A confronting meeting between Alex and his father. I'm very curious how this will go and what personalities I will meet in the other chapter. I liked it. :)

Rudi

Posted 9 Years Ago


jbwest31

9 Years Ago

Thanks for the support! I hope you continue to follow the book. If you have any suggestions or quest.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

171 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on November 6, 2014
Last Updated on November 9, 2014


Author

jbwest31
jbwest31

Cullowhee, NC



About
Hey I'm Jared. I'm a twenty-three year-old college student. I'm majoring in Biology and hoping to go on to medical school after I graduate. I've never really had any training besides basic English cla.. more..

Writing
Platform 9 3/4 Platform 9 3/4

A Chapter by jbwest31


Hogwarts Express Hogwarts Express

A Chapter by jbwest31


The Sorting Hat The Sorting Hat

A Chapter by jbwest31