Understand

Understand

A Story by John Ciarmello

                                           Understand 

 

 

           It dissolved before my eyes. The home, the wife, the two beautiful children. The life any wanting man would trade his right arm for.

           Her parents needed to know why it was over after Twenty-Five years. So, I took the walk through the short hallway and entered the other side of our duplex. I sank into their oversized recliner. A chair I had sat in so many times before. However, this time it felt so foreign, so uncomfortable.

          The sweat cooled on the back of my neck as a wave of nausea nearly tore me from the room. I looked into their eyes and turned away slowly. Their bull like breaths annoyed me, and I realized at that moment they thought I was there to ask them to leave. I gathered enough grit to look at them again. I didn’t recognize either of them at that moment. Their compressed eyes, their tilted heads, their glinting stares. I’m coming out to strangers, I thought. It all became that much more terrifying. I would have to tell them who I was... why I was... and whatever else they needed to know. I felt all my reflexes jump for the door, as I slid to the edge of the chair.  

                                                   ***   

            At the end I shared in their quick hugs, and their vague goodbyes and with a troubled smile I left the house for good. I keyed the door to my one-bedroom apartment, and slowly peeled off my jacket. I felt good about my openness. I stood still for a second staring into the dark closet, my hand still on the hanger. I realized at that moment what was missing this night. I blew out a short breath. They didn’t understand at all.

© 2018 John Ciarmello


Author's Note

John Ciarmello
Another piece of emotion writing. I am working on a contest on Emotion writing: A true story about yourself with tons of feeling in under 300 words. What do you guys think?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I think this is very good and effective writing. Especially, I liked the third paragraph in which you used some excellent wording to describe the scene. You made great use of only 300 words.

Posted 6 Years Ago


John Ciarmello

6 Years Ago

Thank you so much Sam for the great review!
Sometimes the right thing to do is the hardest but for the best, living a lie can kill you🌹

Posted 6 Years Ago


John Ciarmello

6 Years Ago

I agree with you! Thanks again for the review
Amazing poem!! Ur wonderful as always:)

Posted 6 Years Ago


John Ciarmello

6 Years Ago

Thank You much for the review! It was a hard reality, but has softened over time
You did a great job with it!

Posted 6 Years Ago


John Ciarmello

6 Years Ago

Thank You Matt
Levi Levin

6 Years Ago

Your welcome!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

186 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 22, 2018
Last Updated on February 23, 2018

Author

John Ciarmello
John Ciarmello

NY



About
I'm a 58 year old enthusiastic writer of short story and Children's rhyme. I love to try all types of writing. I love the challenge of flash fiction. I'm not sure I have a novel in me though! We shall.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..